Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your 'cross bike

523K views 1K replies 571 participants last post by  wintercyclist 
#1 ·
Now that there's a MTBR forum for this, we need a picture thread! Post your bike, and tell us how you use it.

Happy 'Cross Bike! by Andrew183, on Flickr

This is my 2009 Kona Jake. I bought it to race, but I took that picture while I was having suspension trouble and my MTB wasn't ridable. It sees some singletrack time for fun and practice, I've already started doing 'cross workouts for this season on it, and I loan it to friends as a road bike from time to time.

Mostly stock. Saddle is a recent acquisition, pedals are Time ATACs, the rear wheel is a $34 spoke and rim replacement on the original hub, and the front wheel has an old Shimano LX hub as a replacement for the crappy Formula hub, with original spokes and rim. One crank arm is a replacement, with the wrong finish. Chainwatcher added. And, of course, V-brake pads and holders. :D

See less See more
#497 ·
Late post but better then never!

Cannondale HiMod SuperX.....love this bike!!!!

A few mods.

240S hubs laced to ZTR Crest rims, Kenda Happy Medium 700x35, Whisky bars, Syntace stem, Thomson Masterpiece post, Prologo saddle, new tape and hood covers :)

View attachment 795051

View attachment 795052

View attachment 795053

17 lbs and a absolute blast to ride and tubeless is the way!!
Finally got the finishing touch for my beast!

TRP HYD hydraulic brake set, got them dialed in and did about 50 miles of dirt/road/singletrack yesterday and a quick 20 mile commute into work....holy crap these are the jam!

Have not hit the "fade" zone yet but for local singletrack trails they are such a relief. One finger braking with road levers is amazing!!!

Attachments

#115 ·
This is "Sweaty Betty" my fixed gear mountain bike. I will be racing cross and losing tomorrow on it.

Did a quickie job polishing the 1992 deore cranks. They look okay now...

Note the front derailleur. It is necessary to keep the chain from jumping off under heavy frame flex.

Peace and grease!

#179 ·
I've posted this in the 29er forum as well, I had hoped to do some low key 'Cross races with it. But, mainly ride dirt, gravel and pavement around town. Steel Rock Lobster, I had stripped down and powder coated. The other pic is my daughter and her single speed R/L she rode in a local 'Cross race here.

Attachments

#230 ·
bull horned kona "cross"

so - i'm told that this isn't a cross bike becuase technically the bars cant point forward on a cross - but as i don't race, I don't care! oldish major jake frame & bontrager carbon forks from ebay then other bits n bobs i slowly picked up. its a good fun and light weight do it all bike

Attachments

#315 ·
My '08 kona Jake the snake that I picked up new in 09. Been a great bike so far, bought it as a commuter and a road bike and it turned out to be a great bike for big road and dirt rides. New bar, brakes, on its third chain, second cassette and and too many tires to count.

i'm going to give this cx racing thing a try this season and the bike will be getting some new wheels and tires... maybe a new fork, stem and seatpost as well.

Sent by smoke signal.

Attachments

#319 ·
i'm going to give this cx racing thing a try this season and the bike will be getting some new wheels and tires... maybe a new fork, stem and seatpost as well.
i haven't checked it out, but isn't there a practice course around lexington?

frame is supposed to arrive tues. i grabbed some photos from the interwebs and played with photoshop (the gimp, actually...)

i think i'm going to try to do this with plasti dip and if looks alright get someone to paint it for realz.

#336 ·
New to me Double Cross

Picked this up off of Craigslist and it has been a ton of fun on the first 3 rides. It's been my first ownership experience with a bar end shifter and even 1x9 for that matter. Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Wheel

My other bike is a rigid SS Jabberwocky. I think I'm really going to enjoy using the Soma on less technical single track and packed gravel trails.

#416 ·
Here's my CX bike. I originally had a Salsa La Cruz that was too small (Craigslist buy); switched the frame to a Vaya that felt was too sluggish and found a steal with Milwaukee Bikes-Waterford built. I have played around with various forks and am dialed in with the Spot carbon fork.

Frame: Milwaukee Bikes True Temper OS tubing
Fork: Spot brand carbon
Wheels: Salsa Semi rims with Hope hubs built by Mike C. tires: Schwalbe Marathon 28c
Drivetrain: Shimano 105
Saddle: Brooks B17
Stem: Nitto Lugged

#453 ·
Last weekend's project was taking a spare set of 700c wheels and retrofitting them on my old 27" Schwinn Sports Tourer. So had to much with the brake calipers, dial in the RD to make the switch from a 6sp freewheel to a 10sp cassette, put on a new chain, etc. But I think it came out really nice and the Conti. Cyclocross Speed tires seem to live up to their name (they are fast). Nice 40th birthday present for the old bike:

- Schwinn Sports Tourer Restoration

#459 · (Edited)
Fork chatter/shudder solution

Little update to fork chatter/shudder question: I've tried to implement the solution described in this response - and voila! It works much better, than before. My illustrations of this solution:

I'm not sure about the durability of such workaround - seems, that it's always good idea to have couple of plastic ties for longer ties with you! It would be great, if somebody offer the same solution for shimano brakes.

Attachments