Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    that is a beautiful bike Dion, what frame is that?
    'One Mind, One Gear, One Love'

mtbr member

Dirty Disco.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 'cross bike-disco3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

Smile

I took my first ride in daylight on my new (well new to me) Gary Fisher Presidio.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 'cross bike-p1040086.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-p1040087.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-p1040088.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-p1040089.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-p1040090.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-p1040091.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-p1040092.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-p1040093.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-cx-dirty-bismark-11-01-29-elevation-profile.png  

Post your 'cross bike-cx-dirty-bismark-11-01-29-topo.jpg  

TXTony

My Rig

My CX Rig

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ^^ I really love that GT! great build.

I have always wanted a Ritchey, and decided this frame over a Yeti Arc-X (which iv had before)
    I built it with a 1x9 with bar end friction shifting, Its just a personal thing, I hate index... I do plan to install a Ritchey CX double crankset in the near future.

mtbr member

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeetow View Post
    ^^ I really love that GT! great build.

I have always wanted a Ritchey, and decided this frame over a Yeti Arc-X (which iv had before)
    I built it with a 1x9 with bar end friction shifting, Its just a personal thing, I hate index... I do plan to install a Ritchey CX double crankset in the near future.
    Classic

shut up legs

2005 Mountain Cycle Stumptown Redux

2x10 Ultegra
    Easton EC90 Stem
    Salsa Cowbell 3
    Thomson Seat Clamp/Post
    Sella saddle
    BB7's
    '14 Salsa Horsethief | '11 Salsa La Cruz Ti | '15 Advocate Watchman | '15 Advocate Hayduke

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

My cx/mtb project

Cx/mtb project
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 'cross bike-image00217-1.jpg  

Last edited by wheelerj1; 03-09-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    I've posted mine before, but I ended up at the bottom of a pile of riders at the beginning of my last race last season. I finished, badly, but I needed to true the wheels (easily done) and I bent the handlebar. Found a crack in it too when I took the tape off.

About the same time, I broke the chainstay on my commuter, which had a nice old compact double crank that I'd been eyeing to replace the piece-of-crap FSA crank that was on my 'cross bike.

So I figured out what I'd need, ordered it all, and it came in at the beginning of the month. I don't ride this bike a whole lot outside of racing, so I've been working on it about an hour at a time.

I stripped off the old housings and cables, and pulled the wheels, chain and handlebars. Left the stem on just so the fork wouldn't fall out. Cleaned everything. I even bought some Pledge, on a tip from a poster on another site.

Kona 'cross Feb '12 003 by Andrew183, on Flickr

Ironically, this bike gets cleaned most often of all my bikes, even though it's not my favorite.

Kona 'cross Feb '12 005 by Andrew183, on Flickr

The crank is from the old bike. The large chain ring is new. I love the finish! I ordered it from a catalog entry giving size and bolt pattern, so I had no idea it would be polished aluminum. The front derailleur is also new. I tried to use the one from my old bike, but the cage was too wide to work well in a modern drivetrain. Since I race this bike, I try to keep its setup relatively conservative. The small chainring is relatively new, bought in early 2011 when I decided I wanted more reasonable gearing for a major climb in my commute. It's now a 46/34, so close to the traditional cyclocross setup.

Kona 'cross Feb '12 006 by Andrew183, on Flickr

The mountain bike rear portion for the drivetrain was a mid-season change last Fall. Actually, I don't know if I think it worked out that well. But I'm going from an available 30t small ring to a 34t small ring, so I think it's going to change the way I use my gearing. And even if I think I should train to push a bigger gear for most 'cross, I want to keep those low gears available until I decide that I don't need them even for races at the end of the season, when it can get super-muddy, or for sand.

Kona 'cross Feb '12 011 by Andrew183, on Flickr

New handlebars. A little shorter straddle cable for the brake. Turns out that this bike will just clear criss-cross cables.

It's probably going to mostly sit in my basement until August or so, or I might loan it to my girlfriend again for a while. But I really don't like having non-functional bikes hanging around. I'm afraid they'll breed.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Powered by Pulvoron
    Here's my KHS CX100

Dead Legs

Just Re-built

Went with some tubular eno's for this year.

Cx is my fun/silly season, and gears made me think too much.

Finally got it to the shop to weigh it 16.55 lbs!
    Last edited by Sherwin; 03-18-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    Something Has to be rigid between my legs... so it's my bike.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I've posted mine before, but I ended up at the bottom of a pile of riders at the beginning of my last race last season. I finished, badly, but I needed to true the wheels (easily done) and I bent the handlebar. Found a crack in it too when I took the tape off.

About the same time, I broke the chainstay on my commuter, which had a nice old compact double crank that I'd been eyeing to replace the piece-of-crap FSA crank that was on my 'cross bike.

So I figured out what I'd need, ordered it all, and it came in at the beginning of the month. I don't ride this bike a whole lot outside of racing, so I've been working on it about an hour at a time.

I stripped off the old housings and cables, and pulled the wheels, chain and handlebars. Left the stem on just so the fork wouldn't fall out. Cleaned everything. I even bought some Pledge, on a tip from a poster on another site.

*snip*

Ironically, this bike gets cleaned most often of all my bikes, even though it's not my favorite.

*snip*

The crank is from the old bike. The large chain ring is new. I love the finish! I ordered it from a catalog entry giving size and bolt pattern, so I had no idea it would be polished aluminum. The front derailleur is also new. I tried to use the one from my old bike, but the cage was too wide to work well in a modern drivetrain. Since I race this bike, I try to keep its setup relatively conservative. The small chainring is relatively new, bought in early 2011 when I decided I wanted more reasonable gearing for a major climb in my commute. It's now a 46/34, so close to the traditional cyclocross setup.

*snip*

The mountain bike rear portion for the drivetrain was a mid-season change last Fall. Actually, I don't know if I think it worked out that well. But I'm going from an available 30t small ring to a 34t small ring, so I think it's going to change the way I use my gearing. And even if I think I should train to push a bigger gear for most 'cross, I want to keep those low gears available until I decide that I don't need them even for races at the end of the season, when it can get super-muddy, or for sand.

*snip*

New handlebars. A little shorter straddle cable for the brake. Turns out that this bike will just clear criss-cross cables.

It's probably going to mostly sit in my basement until August or so, or I might loan it to my girlfriend again for a while. But I really don't like having non-functional bikes hanging around. I'm afraid they'll breed.
    Hey Andrew, I am actually picking one of these up tomorrow, yours is a 2009 right? I am excited for mine as it will be a gravel grinder/commuter. However, I am wondering how well the components on it hold up, I am 6' 190# and am a bit rough on my mtb. Are the wheels decently built? (I saw you said you bent one) How are the Kore brakes, I was thinking that once I get some money together I might upgrade those to Tektro CR720s. Also, what are your thoughts on the fork? There are some CF options out there for relatively cheap but wondering if it would hinder the bike at all?

Short-Change-Hero
    Well brought her home this evening, put the M520 pedals that I picked up from ebay for $23 on her and she is ready to go. She currently has Continental Gatorskins on her but thinking I am going to have to switch to something a little more "CX" friendly in the near future. I plan to do fork, brake, and wheelset upgrade this year (probably Nashbar carbon fork, Tektro CR720s, and build my own wheels).

2009 Kona Jake by renofizz, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Hey Andrew, I am actually picking one of these up tomorrow, yours is a 2009 right? I am excited for mine as it will be a gravel grinder/commuter. However, I am wondering how well the components on it hold up, I am 6' 190# and am a bit rough on my mtb. Are the wheels decently built? (I saw you said you bent one) How are the Kore brakes, I was thinking that once I get some money together I might upgrade those to Tektro CR720s. Also, what are your thoughts on the fork? There are some CF options out there for relatively cheap but wondering if it would hinder the bike at all?
    Sorry, was away for the weekend.

The crank is garbage. (sorry.) When you wear out something on it or rip the arm off, just throw it out.

The build of the wheels wasn't terrible. The rear wheel that I destroyed, I destroyed because I fell in a sandpit, someone fell on top of my bike, and I tried to get up and going again too fast. The more recent bending incident was similar, but I didn't have to replace anything. The rear hub is a Shimano Tiagra hub. I've rebuilt it. It's reasonably well sealed, and it's been doing great.

The front hub is a piece of garbage. I swapped it for a nice old Shimano Parallax hub that happened to have the same flange diameter and pretty close spacing. The original rim and spokes on mine are still doing fine, though.

Bottom line, aside from that front hub, everything about the wheels is a perfectly good, if not a particularly special, choice.

I keep thinking about replacing the Kore brakes, but I've talked to my mechanic and one of my more experienced racing friends, and everybody tells me that it doesn't really matter what I put on that bike, brakes don't work in 'cross races. I've been able to get better performance out of them with better brake pads (Kool Stop, in holders) and by lowering the straddle wire. Sheldon Brown has a great article on tuning cantilever brakes on his site.

The fork's cheap but safe. If people get by me in races it's because they've spent more time doing intervals and lifting weights.

I think if you aren't banging the bike around on race courses and crashing it, you should be fine stock. Just don't expect to get a ton of life out of the front hub, and don't spend money maintaining the crank.

I killed my headset pretty quickly after I bought the bike. I don't know if that was racing or driving to races with it on a fork mount rack. Regardless, the headset itself was part of the problem - I haven't had problems like that with my others, and I use the same rack on those bikes too.

Short-Change-Hero
    AndrwSwitch - Thanks for the info I appreciate it! I just picked it up on Friday and took it on a couple of small road shakedown rides, today was the first major ride (coming to work - a whole whopping 3 miles!!) that I have had on it. I figured that while it will spend most of its life as a road commuter I will throw in the occasional gravel grinder for fun and some single track. I am about 190# so I dont want to destroy the wheels before I can afford a replacement. Now I am used to my avid BB7s that stop me on a dime so these seem to take forever to get me stopped. Think it might be because of adjustments needed but it still has the stock pads on it and not sure if they need adjustment. But before we sideline this thread here is my thread over at Roadbike.... http://forums.roadbikereview.com/com...ke-274429.html

Oh and are these the pads you were talking about? Universal Cycles -- Kool Stop Cyclocross Linear Pads
    Last edited by gregnash; 03-05-2012 at 02:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

2012 Cannondale SuperX Ultegra

My new bike.

hispanic mechanic

Nature Boy Zona

Even though I already put this in the SSCX thread, I can't seem to stop myself from flooding this forum with pics of it...

Build is nothing too fancy, and mostly stuff I had in my parts box.
    All-City Nature Boy Zona Ltd. frame and fork
    Chris King headset
    Thomson stem
    On One Midge bar
    Salsa tape
    Cane Creek levers
    Tektro 926 mini-v brakes
    SRAM S500 cranks with a cheap 42t ring
    Bontrager Mustang rims, WTB Laser Disc ft hub, Surly New flip-flop rear, 32h
    Salsa post
    Brooks Swift Ti saddle

And here's my thread about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 'cross bike-trail1.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-trail2.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-trail3.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-trail4.jpg  

Whiskey is my yoga.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

remix.

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice Felt Breed.. you going to keep it singlespeed or gear it?

I dd what you see there.
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate. Got it at the Toronto Bike Show last weekend. It's a "demo" so it was significantly cheaper than new, but I still get the warranty on the frame. So far I'm really happy with it. With the lights, CPU, bell, and Time atac xs carbon pedals it weighed 17.5 pounds on the bathroom scale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Nice Felt Breed.. you going to keep it singlespeed or gear it?
    thanks, but always singlespeed. I have an old miyata 621ST with gears. it's my foul weather commuter. all my other bikes are SS.

mtbr member

cross check

this bike was put together by my lbs with left over and take off parts and a new cross check frame cheaper than online ....support your lbs and they will return the favour
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 'cross bike-cc1.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-cc2.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-cc3.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-cc4.jpg  

biking makes it better

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    My CX Rig
    nice. another excuse to post another pic of mine! what year is yours?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 'cross bike-427141_10150619330171185_709041184_9276791_196205861_n.jpeg  

Short-Change-Hero
    :Kerryn - what type of bars are you running there and how do you like them? Seems I am spending more money that I wanted to on this new bike so might as well just keep spending!!
    Was thinking of getting the Midges like SSLos has and seeing as I just bought new brakes and will be doing a cable overhaul in the future, might as well throw some new bars in the mix since I will "HAVE TO" replace the bar tape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    pretty stoked about it being back together now.

FSA omega compacts, FSA SL-K cantis and SRAM carbon levers are the only component changes from last year. new bartape/cables/tires.

based on scientific method of holding the bike while on a scale and then subtracting your weight its 19.8lbs

im still slow.

RFC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I started grinding gravel as a break from road riding. Now I'm grinding more gravel than road. I have three sets of wheels/tires for the Appalachian -- road 28's, CX 30's, and grinder 37's. The Ti drop bar MTB is a recent convert to grinding and the Land Shark is just cool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    New ride. Planet X Uncle John. New drivetrain and shifters. Rest swapped from old Uncle John frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

bull horned kona "cross"

so - i'm told that this isn't a cross bike becuase technically the bars cant point forward on a cross - but as i don't race, I don't care! oldish major jake frame & bontrager carbon forks from ebay then other bits n bobs i slowly picked up. its a good fun and light weight do it all bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 'cross bike-057.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-014.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-056.jpg  

HTFU and Ride
    I have a Kona Jake that I have used for cross in the past but my El Padrino is shaping up to be a lighter rig (even with these heavy, heavy wheels). This is my set up for Barry-Roubaix this weekend.

Looks like the Jake is going to be relegated to road and Burley hauling duty

I just can't afford to make more than one bike light lol...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 'cross bike-472478_10100569646984895_22420908_50886683_1235512010_o.jpg  

Winter is coming.

Short-Change-Hero
    Coachjon - are you running a mtn crank (ss) with the road cassette and derailleur?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Finally put this nonsense together. Excited for summer and long stupid rides.

FunTimeRider!
    This is our road frame that seems to be doubling as our XC frame. Had not thought of doing so until we bought the bike and discovered our clearances were big enough to play with. And as it turns out, the wife much prefers (at this point) our XC adventures over our regular road runs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 'cross bike-tandem.jpg  

Post your 'cross bike-tandem2.jpg  

Fatty On A Monocog
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
    This is our road frame that seems to be doubling as our XC frame. Had not thought of doing so until we bought the bike and discovered our clearances were big enough to play with. And as it turns out, the wife much prefers (at this point) our XC adventures over our regular road runs.
    Bravo!
    Life's journey is not 2 arrive @ the grave safe but rather 2 skid in sideways totally worn out shouting "Holy S what a ride!"

FunTimeRider!
    Quote Originally Posted by FOAM View Post
    Bravo!
    It's turning into quit the gas! One of those "Who would have thunk?!" things...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Major Jake Value

What are your thoughts on the value of a very low mileage 2007 Kona Major Jake??

Jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2005 Moots Psychlo-X SSCX
    2004 Cannondale CC
    2008 Moots Psychlo-X

Digging in the pain cave.
    My 2010 Felt F-75x. I have switched to Avid Shorty Ultimates since getting it.

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    Finally put this nonsense together. Excited for summer and long stupid rides.

This bike is just a big pile of YES. Love it!
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    but is it still cross? purists would disagree. to me it looks OK. had similar russian road frame back in the old country - my first true road bike (even if parts were crappy), it did see some cx trails (it was my do it all/go everywhere bike at college).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy View Post
    This bike is just a big pile of YES. Love it!
    Thanks! I'm loving it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by lucyfek View Post
    but is it still cross? purists would disagree. to me it looks OK. had similar russian road frame back in the old country - my first true road bike (even if parts were crappy), it did see some cx trails (it was my do it all/go everywhere bike at college).
    Sure, it's not a cross bike frame, but considering fat tires, drops, lax roadie geometry (old tourer) and some pretty decent clearance for something that wasn't meant to have fat tires, I think it counts.

Just did a rather awesome mixed terrain ride this last weekend. 50 miles. 6000'. pretty much 70% dirt/sandstone fun/mild double track and 30% road. Only issue is gearing. 39/28 as a granny for loose and muddy climbs is not a fun ratio.

Wish I had more pics of when it was just covered in mud, but spent more time riding than taking pictures.

The RBR cyclocross forum has an entire thread devoted to snobbery about whether bikes are 'cross bikes or not.

I did my second two 'cross races in college on an old tourer like the one above. I think if the poster thinks it's a 'cross bike, it meets the standard for the MTBR forum. The old longer-armed brake standard rocked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just picked up this Voodoo Limba. Can't wait to get it on some trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 'cross bike-photo-45-.jpg  

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post

Race bike = some training but mostly racing

SS = some racing, but mostly training and running around town
    Holy hell beautiful Van Dessel!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Name:  IMG_0580.jpg
Views: 2868
Size:  64.1 KB

My new stock Tricross Sport. Will use for gravel trail - road - single track combo rides.
    been out twice (about 60 miles so far) and really loving it!

I dd what you see there.
    Pictures of the upgraded wheelset on my Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Red October
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    Holy crap that's a nice bike! Can we get a weight of that stallion?
    I hate when people refer to bikes as "Stallions", or "Steeds" it reminds of D and D geeks.
    But that is a damn nice bike.

I love the creativity in most of these bikes.

Orange anodized components are absurdly difficult to find.
    Last edited by mellowdave; 04-28-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Bicycles are the physical manifestation of freedom
    fb me ig

Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    Sweet wheels. Do you like your Shorty Ultimates?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowdave View Post
    I hate when people refer to bikes as "Stallions", or "Steeds" it reminds of D and D geeks.
    But that is a damn nice bike.

I love the creativity in most of these bikes.

Orange anodized components are absurdly difficult to find.
    Would you prefer we call them "whips"?

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast