The Brutally Handsome

Post Your 1X . . .

After some issues with my latest 1x10 setup I thought a 1x thread might be helpful for others to learn what works and what doesn't. So, post up your 1x setup!

My first setup was 1x10 with Sram Force, 44t FSA front ring and 11x25t cassette. I used a Salsa Crossing Guard guide on the outside and a dog fang on the inside.

My latest setup was a bit different. I again used Force shifters but I decided to use a Rival rear derailleur to avoid another broken carbon cage. To eliminate the guide-ring and dog-fang I decided to go with a 44t narrow/wide Race Face chainring. And to get a wider range of gears I went with 12x30t Ultegra cassette.

Here's a few other 1x threads for reference:
    Cyclocross 1x10?

Single narrow / wide chainrings - performance in the mud for CX

Cross/Road 1X Gearing
    Last edited by Sizzler; 1 Week Ago at 02:22 PM.

mtbr member
    the TCX runs 1x10 with Red/S900 shifters, Force derailleur, 11-28 Ultegra cassette and Wolftooth Narrow Wide CX ring. just for extra security i have the special chain guide that comes on the 2015 TCX Advanced Pro 0 on order as well.

the Threshold runs 1x10 with Force shifters, Force derailleur, 11-28 105 cassette and a normal ring with a make shift chain guide until i buy a RaceFace NW ring.

Designs by Mitch - for all your drafting and design requirements!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Curtlo steel cross bike, running a shimergo'ed setup chorus
    Levers dura ace rear derailler , ultegra 9 speed generation
    Crank w 42t ring Paul keeper, racing good this year, shown
    In photo on a long gravel ride last spring, and a
    12-26 sram 9speed rear cassette and chain.
    Will go double 38/46 for off season gravel rides soon, the SS bike
    Will be raced for the rest if this season. Also now has
    a upgraded ultegra and hed Belgium plus
    Tubeless compatable and wider better ridding wheel set
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your 1X . . .-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My plan for next year is to run a 10-speed mountain cassette with X0 or X9 type 2 derailleur. Anyone have experience with a setup like that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    My plan for next year is to run a 10-speed mountain cassette with X0 or X9 type 2 derailleur. Anyone have experience with a setup like that?
    Yep! I don't have a photo of it right now, but I've been running Force shifters paired to a 42t Wolftooth chainring with an 11-36 cassette and an X9 type2 short cage derailleur. No need for any chainkeeper. It shifts just as smooth as any other setup I've ever used. No need for a longer B-tension screw or anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Awesome, that sounds almost exactly like what I want to do. Kicking around the idea of trying an oval chainring too. Did you pull the shifter guts out of the left lever?

How is everyone finding the 42 or 44T ring for road riding, enough top-end?

The Brutally Handsome
    I actually prefer 46t, which is what I ran on my first 1x build, but 44t was the largest NW ring I could find. It works fine for road riding, but I wouldn't expect to win any crits with it.

On the topic of chain guides, I used to run this Paul chain keeper but it was far too narrow for the cassette range. I had to grind out the inside to keep my chain from rubbing and binding. Was not impressed, especially for the price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Awesome, that sounds almost exactly like what I want to do. Kicking around the idea of trying an oval chainring too. Did you pull the shifter guts out of the left lever?

I did pull out the shifter internals of the left shifter. Makes for a nice clean look.

I can hold my own on group road rides on it. I can keep up mid 20's. If it's going to be a ride any faster than that, I take my road bike. 42t is plenty of gear for me racing cross or riding singletrack though

mtbr member
    will work perfectly fine. sram 10 speed road and mountain play perfectly fine!

with a 44t and 11-28, i average around 30km/h on my daily road rides. if you're descending often you'll want higher, but it's enough range for me.
    Designs by Mitch - for all your drafting and design requirements!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

this was my setup up until about a month ago. the derailleur ripped off during a race an significantly bent one of the teeth on the chain ring.

set up: race face 42T wide/narrow with a 11-28 cassette. using 10 speed shimano 105 stuff.

it worked great. i will fix the bent tooth after the season is over, but for now i'm back to the double up front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Post Your 1X . . .-10649100_10154686546805442_1453219051168039364_o.jpg

'13 Specialized S-Works Crux framset
    SRAM Force CX1 rear derailleur
    SRAM 11-32t cassette
    Wolf Tooth 40t front chain ring
    SRAM Force crankset
    SRAM Apex shifter

Absolutely been loving this set up for cyclocross this year! And we've had a ton of muddy races, and I've had zero issues with chain drop. Actually, I've never dropped my chain since going 1x10. And it's so nice not having a front derailleur there catching more mud.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Post Your 1X . . .-image.jpg

Shadow zee place raceface narrow wide.11-36 42t 10 speed. You all got great rigs. The only thing I would change would be a 165mm crank from 170. I need a 130bcd with shimano compatibility due to outbourd bearings are set up for shimano. I just realized I don't take Romany pics of this side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey Mitchy.

What wheelset are you running on your TCX?