mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Pisgah Productions' Monstercross race on a road bike?

My wife signed up the this years Monstercross race which is all forest service roads and pavement. If thick mud isn't an issue, are there other concerns with using her carbon framed road bike with CX tires? This is a sport class bike bike not a high end road racer.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The main issue is clearance, particularly around the brakes. I used to ride a road bike with 700 x 28c touring tyres and even the slightest bit of mud would clog up the brakes. Have you tried cx tyres on it yet? You might find that you can't even get cx tyres on it.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Not sure what the regulations say for that specific race, but I wasn't able to race SSCX 2 years ago because I had road calipers instead of V or canti brakes. They were pretty picky about that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not too many limitations for this race that I'm aware of. Last years winner was riding a ultra-light MTB hardtail. My wife's two MTBs are 26" which I think would be a very poor choice for this race. Mud should not be an issue on these roads which are well maintained.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can she preride?

I'd expect the big limiter to be whether or not a big enough tire will fit.

I take my road bikes on dirt and soft-surfaced roads from time to time. I feel like I have to be very careful to maintain traction. Looking at a GPS track of finishing the last, dirt, portion of a climb near me, I averaged under 10 mph on my road bike - so, mountain bike speeds. And only about 13 on the way down. It would be a lot of trouble for me to go test it on the MTB, but I bet I'd have been faster on something with proper dirt tires. That was at the end of a long climb, so maybe no faster on the way up, but I could certainly have let the bike run a bit more on the way back down.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Kenda K161 Cyclocross Tires measure out to be 25-28mm or so Ive been told. You should give those a shot. They're about $17 on Fleabay too. Win-Win.
    Hammerheadbikes.com