mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Oval chainrings on cross bikes

I just replaced a 34/48x11-32 10sp Sram drivetrain with a Garbaruk 40t (12%) oval and a 11-34 Shimano XT cassette. I gave it a quick spin after the wrenching session and was quite surprised how normal the oval ring immediately felt on the flats. On the other hand when I tried some climbs on loose fine gravel I was quite impressed by both the traction and my ability to push a pretty substantial gear uphill.

Granted the first ride was way too short to make any extensive conclusions on the setup but I'm still pretty stoked about it. MTB ovals have been discussed to death on MTBR but I'd like to hear people's experiences about them on the cross/gravel side of things?

mtbr member
    I run an Absolute Black 38T oval ring on my Turner Cyclosys with SRAM CX1, it works a treat! Very smooth pedalling, excellent traction as you mention and it feels totally intuitive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I run an Absolute Black 38T oval ring on my Turner Cyclosys with SRAM CX1, it works a treat! Very smooth pedalling, excellent traction as you mention and it feels totally intuitive.
    +1

Same setup on my cross bike with cx1. You would think you might have traction problems on muddy standing uphills, but nope. Surprised how much I like it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have an Absolute Black 36t inner ring (52t round outer on ultegra 6800 crank) on my gravel bike and love it. Shifting between round and oval is no issue at all. I have been riding that for a year and that is what convinced me to chance all my mountain bikes over to oval. Won't go back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCpowderhound View Post
    I have an Absolute Black 36t inner ring (52t round outer on ultegra 6800 crank) on my gravel bike and love it. Shifting between round and oval is no issue at all. I have been riding that for a year and that is what convinced me to chance all my mountain bikes over to oval. Won't go back.
    That's a pretty cool setup! Coincidentally I found a Rotor 23t oval on clearance so that is going into the 2x cranks on my mountain bike. Hopefully it will shift as clean as yours does.

I'm hoping to get more mileage on the cross bike this weekend but life has a nasty habit of getting in the way...