mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Ordered some Tektro CR720 Canti's last night... how do you like yours?

I've been railing around my 1986 RockHopper the trails lately, which is not VRC because I have modern parts on it. I have an old set of Alivio brakes on there from a 1996 GT, and they are just horrible, even with upgraded brake pads.

After doing some research, and being EXTREMELY happy with my Tektro Oryx brakes on my CX bike, I went for the CR720's. My Oryx, IMO, feel just as good as any V-Brake I've used (with maybe the exception of Deore XT's).

How are you fine folks liking your CR720's? For budget reasons, I just couldn't see myself gong with Paul Canti's on such an old bike.

mtbr member
    I liked mine while I had them, but I switched to the tektros and koolstop salmons at the same time so I'm not sure which had the bigger impact.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    They are champs. Have them front and rear on the SSCX and front on a 95 Rockhopper turned full-dresser commuter. When the roadie pads wear out (they performed just fine for me until they did wear), replace with the salmon Kools.
    The benefit is the drawback in that the great feel and performance of the wide profile design can get in the way of panniers and remounts.
    Cost to performance ratio, they can't be beat.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone3x3 View Post
    Cost to performance ratio, they can't be beat.
    Exactly my thoughts. I sanded the coating off the pads and they were somewhat improved so try that first. Nevertheless, I replaced the front stock pad with a pair of Kool Stops - a bit better. I still have my rear stock pad on though and it seems to be wearing pretty fast...I'll probably replace that one with a Kool stop as well. It really depends on where you're riding. For racing, I wanted the extra stopping power, but for JRA I probably would've kept the stock pads.

mtbr member
    I have them on my cross bike, and I've really liked them. The bike is steel, and I originally ran it with a Surly Crosscheck fork. On that setup, I could pretty much just bolt the 720's on and go. No fiddling, no adjusting, no squealing or shudder.
    I've recently switched to a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Cross fork, and I did have to spend more time with toe-in and adjustment to get rid of noise and shudder, but once I did, they were great again.
    I can't see myself spending more for canti's, unless I just really wanted the bling. They are truly great, especially for the price.
    Hope your experiences are as good!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sweet, guys. I just couldn't bring myself to go with Paul's (have no business spending that kind of money on a 26 yr. old frame).

I really like those Aztec pads, which are on my CX bike. They stop wonderfully and have lasted a very long time. Last time I used Kool Stops was on my Freestyle BMX bike back in 1991.