mtbr member
    Aug 2011

On One Midge Handelbar For CX

After seeing many posts from Shiggy along with additional digging on the net I decided to experiment with my CX rig and try the On One Midge bar. Spent a couple hours yesterday installing the bar and experimenting with the brifter placement on the bars and got out for my first ride today. After a two hour ride in a nutshell I have to say that for me these bars are absolutely fantastic. Perhaps I am going overboard but they literally transformed my CX riding experience. My guess is that given the wide bar I ride on my 29er combined with riding in the drops a lot on my road rig I found riding in the hooks very comfortable (spent 90% plus on the two hour ride in the hooks). In addition, the hooks provide an excellent hand position for both applying power out of the saddle as well as control through rough terrain or descents. I found that my hand positions on my Deda drop bar were not great when riding rocky sections of trail or steep descending (which I would ride in the drops) and I would often get hand fatigue. I know these bars are not UCI legal and I'm sure they're not for everyone but I absolutely love these bars!

mtbr member
    One hundred percent agreed. I went on a 29er/cross ride with some folks before these and was extremely impressed at how well the other folks descended on the hoods and in the drops. I always struggled with that. Now, I ROCK it on my 29er. I am in total control in the drops, hoods, and ends. I love these bars.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You nailed every reason that I love these bars. Been running them for a few years now, just swapped 'em from my Conquest Classic to my new Straggler. They are fantastic off-road and you are right -climbing in the drops is quite nice and really lets you hammer.

They've been ridden across country and who knows how many miles of singletrack. Wouldn't trade these bars for anything.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Stem rise and length? Are your hands in line with the front wheels axle? TIA

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a pair on my gravel/ light singletrack CX bike and love them. They are not for CX racing though; too wide - they would get caught on stuff and other riders. Also, it is best to ride the hoods in a CX race. 40 minutes is too short to worry about comfortable hand positions.