Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. #1
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,527

    One CX season with disc brakes. Final thoughts.

    Okay, one full race season of disc brakes under my belt. Want to know what I think?

    Overkill. Disc brakes increase bike weight by a pound and offer hardly any actual benefits to racing. They have extreme power, but that isnt used in cross. If you are slamming on your brakes every turn, you are doing it wrong.

    A positive is decreased mud/grass buildup. But honestly, are discs shaving a whole pound of mud and grass off your bike? If not, you are still carrying extra weight with discs.

    Ill probably continue to use my cross bike with discs, but If I did it again, I would go with cantis or Vs.

    At least I can pretend like I have the fanciest tech at all the races.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,946
    Awesome. Thank you. I was going to ask if anyone had been racing/riding on them long term and their thoughts. What is your bike? BB7s?

  3. #3
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,527
    No problem. This is only one mans opinion. Im sure there are racers out there that feel the opposite.

    My setup is a 56cm Dirty Disco set up with BB7s, farsports 50mm carbon tubbies, and 2009 sram force group.

    I dont have a picture of the bike, but this was at USGP Derby City SS class.
    [IMG][/IMG]

    If you notice, Im in the drops.... More on that later.

    One of the issues with BB7s on drop bar levers, is that the throw is not adjustable like a BB7 and a SD7 mountain bike lever. The lever stroke with my Sram Force shifters was very long. So long, that if I am braking on the hoods, the shift lever would bottom out on the knuckle of my ring fingers (wrapped around the hood)
    The only option for braking was doing so, on top of the hood without gripping it with my fingers, or braking from the drops.

    The latter was the only way for me to control the bicycle adequately.

    A great thing about cantilever brakes, is that you can adjust them to the exact lever feel you prefer. I could have set the throw short and been 100% happy.

    But that was impossible. I will say, now that my UCI sanctioned race is out of the way, I switched the setup a little bit.
    I went to flat bars, XT hydraulic brakes, and a 1x10. Illegal by UCI standards, but I can finish up my local series just fine.

    Here is a pic
    [IMG][/IMG]

    But that is a different thread in its entirety.

    Anyone else with a whole season on them have any opinions on the matter?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    One of the issues with BB7s on drop bar levers, is that the throw is not adjustable like a BB7 and a SD7 mountain bike lever. The lever stroke with my Sram Force shifters was very long. So long, that if I am braking on the hoods, the shift lever would bottom out on the knuckle of my ring fingers (wrapped around the hood)
    The only option for braking was doing so, on top of the hood without gripping it with my fingers, or braking from the drops.
    Hmmm, that's not good. If you let your canti brake pads wear out and get too thin the same thing happens. That drives me insane. It's easily fixed. You make an adjustment or put on new pads.
    There's nothing you can do to fix your disc lever problem? That wouldn't work for me.

  5. #5
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Hmmm, that's not good. If you let your canti brake pads wear out and get too thin the same thing happens. That drives me insane. It's easily fixed. You make an adjustment or put on new pads.
    There's nothing you can do to fix your disc lever problem? That wouldn't work for me.
    Here are some solutions in no particular order.

    Find/make some longer pull levers

    Use a shorter pull brake caliper

    Tighten your brakes up so much they there is hardly any clearance. Your rotors will probably rub.

    File down the back of your shift lever for more finger clearance.

    A hydro converter may work...

    Retroshift

    Flat bars

    Learn how to ride in the drops or without wrapping fingers around the hood
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  6. #6
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    I run Rival controls w/bb7's, I agree the lever throw is long even w/pad clearance tight, and the shifter does touch the bar under hard braking altho not an issue.

    I ride from the hoods most of the time with my hands wrapped around them, and I brake with the index and middle fingers. I don't think I keep any fingers wrapped around the bar when I brake from the hoods, my hands are resting on them and the other fingers are just out of the way I guess, never thought about it tho.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Poncharelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,196
    I think it depends on your race conditions. I was telling people how my braking was totally uneffected during this race, using disk brakes:

    Gallery: Cyclocross races at Mt. Ogden Golf Course - November 10, 2012
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

  8. #8
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    I think it depends on your race conditions. I was telling people how my braking was totally uneffected during this race, using disk brakes:

    Gallery: Cyclocross races at Mt. Ogden Golf Course - November 10, 2012
    I personally have never raced or ridden in snow. How were peoples Cantis working for them that day?

    Any complaints?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Poncharelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I personally have never raced or ridden in snow. How were peoples Cantis working for them that day?

    Any complaints?
    People were telling me they had their canti's on full force, and barely stopping. Lots of hand cramps that day.

    But then again, races this fun are very, very few. We might get a sloppy race this weekend (it's raining right now, and snow projected), but most have been summer conditions with moist dirt/grass.

    This past Saturday raced in short sleeves at 9:30AM, which is crazy for December in utah.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

  10. #10
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    People were telling me they had their canti's on full force, and barely stopping. Lots of hand cramps that day.

    But then again, races this fun are very, very few. We might get a sloppy race this weekend (it's raining right now, and snow projected), but most have been summer conditions with moist dirt/grass.

    This past Saturday raced in short sleeves at 9:30AM, which is crazy for December in utah.
    Interesting. I have never had problems in mud with cantis, but again, I have never raced in snow.

    I wonder if those riders complaining about power were using suitable pads for these harsh conditions?

    If they were using the proper equipment and still having trouble, you may have a point with the discs.

    They definitely do have a lighter actuation than rim brakes which can be a benefit to people with grip/hand/wrist problems.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,431
    were you using bb7-road or bb7-mountain??
    usually sovles the whole cable pull issue right there.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jsqueri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    203
    Disk or cantis, you look way too happy jumping those barriers.

    I raced disk all season, but don't have enough experience to compare. I didn't have the mud jamming issues my buddy had though. He said he could really feel the drag and I barely noticed.

  13. #13
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    were you using bb7-road or bb7-mountain??
    usually sovles the whole cable pull issue right there.
    BB7 roads as shown in picture 1. BB7 mountains are black
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  14. #14
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by jsqueri View Post
    Disk or cantis, you look way too happy jumping those barriers.

    I raced disk all season, but don't have enough experience to compare. I didn't have the mud jamming issues my buddy had though. He said he could really feel the drag and I barely noticed.
    Haha, you should have heard what the guy with the megaphone was saying. I was happy, third behind two of the fastest guys in the state with a healthy gap on 4th. Easy pedaling to the finish.

    I think it is a fine system, just overkill. Cantis work well, are way lighter, and more adjustable.

    Hear what J-Pow says:


    He says he loves them but I am not completely convinced. Anytime someone says "Im not just sayin' that", it usually means they are lying.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    525
    I used the shimano calipers with tektro levers on this bike... the feel is very good. Although, no better than my old school Avid SD7 levers with road BB7s on my fatbike.



    ride on purpose: Update on the Steel SS Disc Cyclocross bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One CX season with disc brakes. Final thoughts.-newold.jpg  


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    But that is a different thread in its entirety.
    I'd rather hear about this. Thoughts on the flat bars?

    I've got a few seasons on CX disc brakes, but none on flat bars for CX. The mountain biker in me thinks it would be better and lighter. I switched my drop bars out to 46 cm bars for extra leverage (singlespeed). I'm happier with the wider bars for control and leverage, but still think a flat bar would be ideal.

  17. #17
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    I'd rather hear about this. Thoughts on the flat bars?

    I've got a few seasons on CX disc brakes, but none on flat bars for CX. The mountain biker in me thinks it would be better and lighter. I switched my drop bars out to 46 cm bars for extra leverage (singlespeed). I'm happier with the wider bars for control and leverage, but still think a flat bar would be ideal.
    I like them. I only have one race on them so far. It was a highly technical race and they felt great. Not to mention my bike lost a pound of weight. 17.0 lbs for a geared, disc cross bike built for stiffness isnt too bad!

    The only disadvantages are 1. fit 2. lack of aero positions. and 3. legality

    1. Typically you need to add about 30mm onto a stem to get your hands in similar positions as the hoods. This can be hard if you have long arms(like me) or long torso. I was already running a 120mm stem with my drop bars. Any long people will know, you cant find a 150mm stem with O.S. 31.8mm clamp. Only 140mms. So I tried a 140mm and it felt short. Now I have a old school 150mm on the way and a matching handlebar to try out. The fit should be way better when I set it all up!

    2. On super windy days or courses with fast road or hardpack sections, you will not have an escape from the wind. Hardly a disadvantage in my opinion. Only a few extra watts are wasted on those sections. If you are more comfortable for the rest of the race, its wattage well spent.

    3. Flat bars are UCI illegal. So no racing any big races with them. Your local series should be fine with it, as long as bar ends are removed.

    4. Oh yeah, prepare for heckling. I have become the "hybrid guy" in my series.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,150
    Cahaba Cycles, eh? A few of us in Atlanta were thinking to head out to the race at Sloss Furnaces on the 15th. Looks like a rad race venue.

    If you see a bunch of folks with Sopo Bikes jerseys, I'll be the really tall guy wearing a blue jersey on a Soma Double cross w/ red trim. I'll probably be taking up last place but having a blast.

    FWIW, I'm also running BB7s on my road bike with Rival controls and have the same issues. I do have the pads set so tight that they are almost rubbing and swapped in EBC Gold pads for added stopping power.

    I love the modulation on the discs compared to v-brakes (never spent much time on cantis) and particularly love how you can adjust the outer knobs on BB7s for a consistent brake feel on both levers despite the difference in housing length.

  19. #19
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Cahaba Cycles, eh? A few of us in Atlanta were thinking to head out to the race at Sloss Furnaces on the 15th. Looks like a rad race venue.

    If you see a bunch of folks with Sopo Bikes jerseys, I'll be the really tall guy wearing a blue jersey on a Soma Double cross w/ red trim. I'll probably be taking up last place but having a blast.

    FWIW, I'm also running BB7s on my road bike with Rival controls and have the same issues. I do have the pads set so tight that they are almost rubbing and swapped in EBC Gold pads for added stopping power.

    I love the modulation on the discs compared to v-brakes (never spent much time on cantis) and particularly love how you can adjust the outer knobs on BB7s for a consistent brake feel on both levers despite the difference in housing length.
    Some of yall came over for the Anniston race right?
    And dont yall have a race that overlaps with Sloss? Its definitely a sweet venue. Rumor is that its haunted! Lots of steel workers lost their lives there. It sure looks like it could be.

    What does the Sopo kit look like? Yall come on! We need a big turn out for our season finale!

    John
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post



    3. Flat bars are UCI illegal. So no racing any big races with them. Your local series should be fine with it, as long as bar ends are removed.

    .
    That only applies if you are racing the Elite classes.

    BTW....interesting take on the disc thing. I know we don't "need" them for racing....but the industry looks like it's going to force them on us eventually.

    And...your problem with your levers hitting the bars. The MTB BB7 calipers may solve this....":may" being the operative word
    Last edited by the mayor; 12-07-2012 at 10:09 AM.

  21. #21
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    That only applies if you are racing the Elite classes.

    BTW....interesting take on the disc thing. I know we don't "need" them for racing....but the industry looks like it's going to force them on us eventually.

    And...your problem with your levers hitting the bars. The MTB BB7 calipers may solve this....":may" being the operative word
    Elite as in Pro? Or 1/2 as well?

    I actually think MTN bb7s make the problems worse. Pairing a long pull caliper with a short pull lever would cause bottoming out on the bars definitely.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Elite as in Pro? Or 1/2 as well?

    I actually think MTN bb7s make the problems worse. Pairing a long pull caliper with a short pull lever would cause bottoming out on the bars definitely.
    At a UCI event...there is Elite men and women races.....these are the only races that are effected by the "no flat bar" rule.

    As for the calipers.....it doesn't make sense....but I know with Ultegra levers, the mtb calipers work better. Same with some flat bar levers...the road caliper works better. I'd say it's more because of "WHERE" the lever pulls more or less cable in it's throw ( levers tend to pivot/pull in an arch )

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ms6073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    At a UCI event...there is Elite men and women races.....these are the only races that are effected by the "no flat bar" rule.
    Dont forget U23...

    As for the calipers.....it doesn't make sense....but I know with Ultegra levers, the mtb calipers work better.
    No it doesn't seeing as I am use Dura Ace 7900 shifters with BB7 Road calipers and despite a good bit of slack between pad and rotors, have yet to bottom the levers on my drop bars.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,936
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Dont forget U23...

    .
    I didn't.....U23 is part of the elite mens race ( except at Natz )

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,946
    Does everyone have this problem with the levers being so close to the bars? Red wouldn't be any better than Force or Rival?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •