Thread: OMG! One word

mtbr member
    May 2009

OMG! One word

Lizard skins bar tape.

Just the the right amount of cush, and nice and tacky. Should be perfect when things start getting wet and sloppy.
    Also a shot of my new 1X9 set-up. 42t front with a 11-32 cassette. That should handle about any course.
    Happy racing to everyone this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OMG! One word-vd-liz-skinz.jpg  

OMG! One word-vd1x9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm not a genius, but isn't that four words??

hispanic mechanic

OMG! One word

Been installing it on a few customers' bikes. Feels awesome. If I wasn't such a cheapskate I'd already have it on my bike. I keep waiting for a crash to tear my cork tape...

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    yeah, I'm running the zipp service course bar tape. I'm pretty sure its made for zipp by lizard skins. Its nice!

Zipp - Speed Weaponry | Accessories | Accessories | Service Course cyclocross handlebar tape

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jemlinus View Post
    I'm not a genius, but isn't that four words??
    Damn, your right. Are you sure your not a genius?
    How about: Lizardskinsbartape

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I ran the lizard skins for a season and didn't dig it. I ride gloveless and it got slippery from sweat
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    I ran the lizard skins for a season and didn't dig it. I ride gloveless and it got slippery from sweat
    Uh oh, I hope I'm not missing the boat here. I was hoping the tackyness would help once conditions started getting wet and sloppy.

mtbr member
    Cool, my bar tape is looking sure dingy and I was just starting to look at replacing it.

BTW, white is NOT a good color for bar tape! I'm going either red or black, both colors will match my bike.

And I like the sound of that gear combo. I have a 46/34 with a 11-25 cassette, and I don't care much for it. It wasn't great on a cross course, and even in the lowest gear long grades get to be a killer.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    I have it but haven't used it yet. Reviews are mixed. Some love it and some, like above, say it's slippery when wet. You gotta wear gloves. Which is fine for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Stuff works GREAT as a drive-side chain-stay protector. I look classier than the original Lizard Skin intended for that purpose, to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Another note, white lizard skins cleans SUPER easily with clean streak. It also stays white fairly well. I still like the green personally, but thats due to a saddle choice

mtbr member
    Wonder how the Lizard Skins tape would work on a straight road bike. I have big hands (XXL gloves) and a bit more grip diameter on the drops would be good.
    Sure wish we had cyclocross around here. Never have been able to figure it, mountain bike parks and trails all over, huge road club scene in the area, but absolute 0 interest in cyclocross.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

The Brutally Handsome
    I read a lot of mixed reviews about how it doesn't last long and is slippery, but decided to try some out anyway. To my surprise, it lasted much longer than my other tapes have and after it started to wear I was able to flip is around and it looked brand new again. Also, when wet it's about as slippery as any other bar tape, but when dry it's much more grippy. So, to me it's worth the extra cost, and I'm on my second set.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It's a great tape,but it didn't last for me. That said, I'd run it again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've heard good things about it, but haven't tried it myself. I've progressed towards Newbaum's cotton tape. It's cheap, reliable, plenty of grip in all conditions, and lots of colors. If you want cushy, you can wrap the cotton over cork.

I'd rather be riding
    I've been running the new ESI tape! It's super nice, very impressed so far.

mtbr member
    A tad more expensive but I have been using Cardiff and/or Adarga leather handlebar tapes for the past two years and found each worked pretty well whether it was hot and humid, cold, or wet and rainy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've been running the lizard skins DSP tape for about 3 years on my gravel bike (used to be my CX race bike as well). While I really like it for gravel riding I don't like it much for CX. The primary reason is it's TOO grippy, which can cause blisters when riding a lot of rough ground. I always wear gloves, but one time I attempted riding it without gloves while riding around a cx course for an hour. My hands weren't the same for awhile since it caused some serious blisters. The extra friction caused by the grippy tape was the cause, as I've never had that problem with other tape.

In terms of longevity/durability it works out fairly well. Like most tape, the rougher the ground you ride the faster it will wear. Mine gets worn through behind the hoods in about 6-9 months of gravel riding (~2000ish miles). I will continue to use it on my gravel bike, but will never use it again on my CX race bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mine wore pretty quickly on the road bike. I really liked the feel though, and would probably use it again. Grip wasn't a problem, but I always ride with gloves.