mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Old school XT cantis vs v-brakes for cross

I am thinking about switching to some 1995 old school Shimano BR-M737, Deore XT cantilevers and ditching my Tektro v-brakes (with Problem Solver Travel Agents) for my new cross build. When the V-brakes get wet, they are fairly useless - I can ride the bakes fully depressed and not completely stop - just slow down a bit.

Will these cantis provide better wet condition stopping power with Campy STI levers? Also, what brake pads do you recommend (or with the stock black Shimano XT MTB pads be fine) for use on aluminum rims?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old school XT cantis vs v-brakes for cross-xt-cantis-3.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

tg
    mtbr member
    Been rockin old school XTR on my Salsa for 15 years .....they work perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old school XT cantis vs v-brakes for cross-100_1870.jpg  

Old school XT cantis vs v-brakes for cross-100_1124.jpg  

conjoinicorned
    Cantis can provide some mean power when set up properly, but they are finicky to set up. As far as wet, use salmon pads, huge difference. The power difference makes Cantis slightly better in the wet IMO....but I still think v's are great because of how easy they are to adjust, and set up...plus pad changes are easier and pads are cheap and easy to find

when I had my cross check I switched from Cantis to v's and then back again and stuck with the Cantis using salmon pads until I saw the light and got a disc frame
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What about Mini-Vs? The Tektro 926A BMX brakes are cheap and powerful, although you will need to spring for some Kool Stop Salmon or combination pads.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.