mtbr member

Noob...I think I messed up...

Man...I had no idea what a cyclocross bike was or that one even existed.

A few weeks ago I was out looking at bikes because for over 10 years now I've wanted a bike. Long story short, I purchased a Cannondale Trail 5 29er...and while I love it, I can't help but feel like I'm riding a tank on the road.

--

If I knew what a cyclocross bike was I would have purchased one without a doubt.

--

I might just go get one and put my mountain bike up on ebay to recup some of the cost. I would ask if they were really THAT different on the road, but I think I already know the answer -- that is, that they are night and day.

--

A cyclocross bike would be well-suited for rails to trails type riding, C&O canal, for example, correct?

And on days where I don't have time to get out and make a trip somewhere, I can just zip right out the door and hit the roads...man I messed up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You need to tell this story to the LBS where the Trail 5 came from and get then to take care of you. Do it sooner rather than later. At worst you pay a restock fee and getthe bike you want.

mtbr member
    That said, many of us ride XC bikes on the road with no issues. Your are riding on the tires that came with the bike, aren't you? Large knobbies are a bear to push down the road, and they handle like d!ck.

While I agree a cyclocross bike with skinny tires would be more suited to street and rails to trails riding, it won't be as comfortable. Before you give up on your bike, try putting tires on it that are more suited for your riding style.

I'll use myself as an example. I run GEAX Evoltions almost 24/7. They are an "urban" tires, meaning they have a tough casing. The tread blocks are large and shallow, so the tire rolls well on paved surfaces, but also has enough edges to take on the hard pack clay that permeates the local trails. I am just as comfortable doing a 50 mile RTT run at 65psi as I am blasting down a trail at 40psi.

For longer road rides like centuries, I slap on a pair of GEAX Roadsters. 180psi singers they are not, but I keep up with my friends that are on their $3500+ road bikes.

Ans if the trails are damp, or I am feeling extremely aggressive, I've got the Kenda Nevagals that came with the bike.

If a 400Lb dude can enjoy his F5 on the street, I think you can probably find a way to enjoy your Trail 5. If, however, you can swing a good sell on the Trail 5, and if a cyclocross bike is all you will ever need, I say go for it after you've at least tried a few trails that will challenge your XC bike to make sure you are not at all interested in that type of riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by deapee View Post
    I might just go get one and put my mountain bike up on ebay to recup some of the cost. I would ask if they were really THAT different on the road, but I think I already know the answer -- that is, that they are night and day.
    If there is a night and day difference it's because of the tires. Get some tires that are made for road riding. You made the same mental mistake that most fat guys make buying a bike for it's "sturdy" "burly" -insert list of rationalized adjectives here- frame qualities.

If you want a CX bike because you think it will be faster, your only partially right. The fitness of the person riding has just as much to do with it.

My CX bike is 25lbs. It's a steel bike with full Ultegra and it's not significantly faster on the road than my hardtail mountain bike with same tires. Try some Schwalbe Big Apple tires or Schwalbe Marathon road tires. Any CX bike you can buy for 700ish USD is going to be nearly just as heavy as the bike you have. Sell your bike if you need to, just know the equipment isn't the problem as much as your expectations.

mtbr member
    Well thanks guys.

The LBS hooked me up...changed me $30 to clean up the Cannondale and let me return it.

--

Just the extra hand positions alone is enough to justify my decision. And I wasn't about to put drop bars on my mtb. It is what it is and I now have a bike that I can ride in a way that I see fit and feel comfortable on. I always thought the 29er felt a bit big for me anyway.

mtbr member
    What cross bike did you get? We need closure / pictures
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    lol...I don't want anyone knocking my decision but I really had been looking at the Trek CrossRip and the CrossRip Comp. I pretty much knew i needed a 54, and lo and behold, they had a CrossRip Comp sitting there this morning in a 54.

In the end, I have a bike where I can ride alone, which will be 95% of my riding, at least for now...and still cruise the trails with my wife and son when they want to head out.

The best part is the door now marks where I can begin my journey...not that you can't ride a mountain bike on the road, or change tires, and mine did have a hydraulic lockout, but I don't know, it just feels more like me. And it matches my helmet that I bought when I got my cannondale lol.

Only picture I have currently:

Noob...I think I messed up...-trekweb.jpg

Lazy People Suck
    Sounds like the right bike for the job. Go enjoy!
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    I rode 100 miles with a guy on a crossrip last weekend - first time I've seen one, seems like a really cool bike. Being able to ride from home without going crazy on the road is my favorite thing about cross bikes - have fun!
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    CX is way way faster on road and flat paths, but they are a bit slower in rocky boneyards on the trail. otherwise it is a bike and ride it like you stole it. I'll show up on roadie rides with my CX knobbies and it don't matta us.

mtbr member
    Nice save man, a CX bike is a multi tool, you'll love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Awesome that your shop helped you out

mtbr member
    Yeah it is. Always best to go meet someone in person when you make a purchase, shake a hand, and start a relationship. I'm glad I didn't buy something online where they 100 percent follow policy on returns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Glad to hear this worked out nicely for you. Score another one for the LBS doing things the right way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I love happy endings.