mtbr member
    Aug 2008

No disc brakes in the top 10 Elite Men's racers at Worlds 2013

It is interesting that there were no disc brakes used on the bikes ridden by the top 10 Elite Men's racers at Worlds 2013 (that I could see). Do you think that it is because of weight; due to the disc pad problems seen in conditions at US Nationals this year; or just tradition: Top cyclocross pros still stick-in-the-muds as regards disc brakes

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Why fix what ain't broke? On the other hand, I doubt the top 10 would have changed any if some of them had discs...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I don't think braking, or lack thereof, is a huge problem in cross for most of us. I also think BB7 and the cable to hydro brakes are heavier than a rim brake. I don't think pro's will embrace disc until they go hydro and are lighter.

mtbr member
    Until Shimano has decent hydraulic discbrakes you won't see the top riders with discs. If you go to a big race in Belgium (i am Belgian) and you see the trucks with the equipment.. I think Sven Nys has about 30 sets of wheels in there. If they need to change all off them it would be a major cost. (Bart Wellens rides sometimes with Lightweigts, witch he paid for himself).

mtbr member

Re: No disc brakes in the top 10 Elite Men's racers at Worlds 2013

I think it is a matter of sponsor push, as mentioned, and logistics. Because the rear hub is usually 135mm spacing for disc brakes and canti cross bikes have the road spacing of 130mm, this means that the "old" stuff is incompatible. You've either got to go all in like the cannondale/CX World team did, or deal with 2 versions of frames and rear wheels that are incompatible if you want to support both canti and disc equipped bikes.
    The only Euros I noticed running discs are the pro mountain bikers (Marco Fontana and Eva Lechner are who I'm thinking of). Probably because we mountain bikers are very comfortable with what seems like new fangled technology to non mountain bikers!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Cyclocrossers are a superstitious bunch.

For years the top riders have had their canti brakes blessed by Abbot Gekkeogen in Belgium, but since he passed away two years ago none of the disc brakes can be blessed by him so none of the top riders will install them!

hard to believe, but it's the truth.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^ Documentation please...
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanic Pizza View Post
    Cyclocrossers are a superstitious bunch.

For years the top riders have had their canti brakes blessed by Abbot Gekkeogen in Belgium, but since he passed away two years ago none of the disc brakes can be blessed by him so none of the top riders will install them!

hard to believe, but it's the truth.
    Then explain Albert's brake choice? These arent two year old brakes
    Pro Bike Profile: World Champion Niels Albert’s 2013 Colnago Cross Prestige | Cyclocross Magazine – Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos
    Hammerheadbikes.com

mtbr member
    In two years (2015) bump this thread and we'll see how many in the top 10 are using canits.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    who cares what the pros use?
    and why would that ever influence what you buy?
    maybe there needs to be a "professional" board for people who want to argue the inane intricate contracts of what riders who are paid to ride are allowed to ride.

*hint: we've got peeps on this board who're so decidedly "unprofessional" that they're riding converted MOUNTAIN bikes...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That was because they were "decidedly" unprofessional? I always thought it was because they couldn't afford a proper cross bike, but wanted in on the toture too.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.