Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

The new Giant Revolt - cross/gravel grinder bike

More of a gravel grinder I suppose, but pretty nice looking bike and the Giant "dirt drop" is actually a pretty nice bar they have on it too. I got to see one at the LBS yesterday.

Cool to see more of these bikes showing up.

Showcase: Revolt - Giant Bicycles / Bikes

jrm
    mtbr member
    I personally like the Anyroad better.

Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah the frame on that one is nice. I like the curves it has and the continuous line from top tube to seat stays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i checked out a Revolt at a shop her in Oz the other night. Not a bad beastie at all. like the idea/concept.

I will say thought not a huge amount of rear tyre clearence is you throw in a 2inch/5omm tyre.

Otherwise this would be a very nice adition to my quiver of rides
    29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I agree with jrm,the Anyroad is just awesome

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Where did you see the Revolt? I have a TCX with Sram hydros on order delayed 2 months, Giant is blaming Sram brakes for the delay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 93 litespeed View Post
    Where did you see the Revolt? I have a TCX with Sram hydros on order delayed 2 months, Giant is blaming Sram brakes for the delay.
    Bike Haven in NJ

mtbr member
    Hmmm, plus you have a plain old awesome cross bike to choose from. It'll be interesting to see how these bikes sell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There's something I don't get about the Revolt. Why is the Revolt 0 so expensive? It's the same price as a nice Crux, like the Evo Rival Disc, and it's aluminum. Wouldn't carbon be a better frame for gravel grinding, or long rides than aluminum? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I don't get it.

mtbr member
    Anyone who has seen a Giant Anyroad how is the tire clearance? Could it fit a 40 or 45?

jrm
    mtbr member
    Apparently they ship with 32c tires. by the looks of it theres stay and fork clearance for larger tires.

Just Ride!
    I demo'ed a Revolt 1 this past weekend and felt it was the most jarring, teeth rattling ride ever for a gravel bike. It was hard to perceive where the harshness was coming from, fork, bars, or tire pressure? Maybe a combination of them all, but the rep tried to say it was because I needed a med/lrg instead of the medium I was riding. I can't imagine a size change for upper torso weight distribution making it that much smoother, but I could be wrong. My plan is to go try a larger size when they get one in, but will most likely stick to a steel frame and fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i'm thinking about getting a revolt 1. anyone have any more reviews on this bike since this thread started? thanks for any input

mtbr member
    The Anyroad has a build that makes sense for gravel racing (isolated seatstay, sloping top tube) but the Revolt? What a hunk of garbage. Not saying the Anyroad looks fun at all, but at least it's atrociousness is in the name of performance.

F--
    A Defy would probably feel about the same as that bike on gravel.

Huckin' trails

The shop I works at do have a few of the lower ends builds of the Revolt. I really like the bike, I'm actually looking into something like this for urban/gravel and I was wondering about building up from that frameset to my own specs. I know I can't buy frameset only, but what you guys think about this bike being adequate for aggressive urban environment and longer commutes in the city , I'm looking for something fast that can handle curbs, potholes, gravel paths, but still light, aggressive and versatile with rear rack option, mudguards, disc brakes, good tire clearance, etc ?

Or other models from companies like Cannondale, Rocky Mountain, etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    The shop I works at do have a few of the lower ends builds of the Revolt. I really like the bike, I'm actually looking into something like this for urban/gravel and I was wondering about building up from that frameset to my own specs. I know I can't buy frameset only, but what you guys think about this bike being adequate for aggressive urban environment and longer commutes in the city , I'm looking for something fast that can handle curbs, potholes, gravel paths, but still light, aggressive and versatile with rear rack option, mudguards, disc brakes, good tire clearance, etc ?

Kona Jake the Snake Frameset........About 650.00 without Pro Deal. 7005 Aluminum, Full Carbon/steerer/fork. Internal cable, Disc specific. Rack and Fender mounts front and rear. Tapered steer 44/56. I have no ride experience yet so take my suggestion accordingly, but mine will be done next week and has built up flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post

Graham's Varied Adventures: Join the Revolt!
    Here is a review I wrote for my Revolt 1. It is a very versatile bike. It does look a bit like the little black duck but performance wise it is excellent.

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Kona Jake the Snake Frameset........About 650.00 without Pro Deal. 7005 Aluminum, Full Carbon/steerer/fork. Internal cable, Disc specific. Rack and Fender mounts front and rear. Tapered steer 44/56. I have no ride experience yet so take my suggestion accordingly, but mine will be done next week and has built up flawlessly.
    We also have this bike right next to it, in bright orange color. They do look very similar except for the price. I'll check it out too, thanks.

And I'll read that review later today when I get the time. Thanks for posting it up
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails

So I've read the review, also looked up the Kona online and in the shop today. Verdict is the Kona is out of my budget and the Revolt 1 would be in my price range, if I can get a pro deal from Giant on it. Worst case I'd take the Revolt 2 at under $1000msrp, but I would prefer the specs of the Revolt 1, mostly the drivetrain, wheels and brakes.

I'll check it out with the shop tomorrow. I kinda really want a fast bike ASAP for commutes instead of having to drag my urban pig bike trough the metro.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What I don't get about the Revolt is Giant's rationale behind the sizing. They have super short top tubes and almost no difference between adjacent sizes.

Looking at the geometry, the variance in reach is only about .5 inch total across all five sizes. A blatant example is the L versus XL . . . only 5mm difference in effective top tube (despite identical seat & head angles, so there's nothing significant hiding in the math).

The Specialized AWOL size S and M cover the same range as all fives sizes of Revolt, and the L and XL size AWOLs are so much longer that they would literally correspond to XXXXXL in a Revolt if you extended Giant's size progression.

The geo's on these gravel bikes is all over the map when you look at Giant, Spec, Salsa, etc. I'm having a hard time mapping it to my baseline size/handling expectations from my road and mountain bikes. To some extent, I guess this shouldn't be a surprise, since its a relatively new category, but I'm a bit shocked at the scale of differences.

Clueless Bastard
    Inertia is right. Sizing is really wonky with some of these bikes.

However, other than price, not sure why anyone would do a Alum (alloy) based bike as a gravel grinder? Maybe a commuter bike, but on any moderately rough road, save up 'cause you're gonna need regular visits to the dentist to replace your fillings. Much much better options out there.

This is a short list, probably 3x as many options.

- Surly Straggler - Surly Straggler review | road.cc
    - All City Macho Man Disc - All-City Macho Man Disc Review | Urban Velo
    - Vassago Fisticuff - It?s Time for Fisticuffs with Vassago?s New Drop Bar Monster Crosser
    - Soma Wolverine - Wolverine | SOMA Fabrications
    - Kona Rove - Kona Rove - first ride review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I really like the Wolverine, so I was really bummed when I learned they weren't offering anything larger than a 58cm. At 6'4" a 58cm is a categorical no-go. My only other nit w/ their geo was the chainstays are shorted than I'd prefer.

Speaking of . . . the chainstay dimension is another spec that varies dramatically despite apparently identical target use: 455mm on the AWOL vs 425mm on the Wolverine. Yet both are steel, SS and belt-compatible, 72-deg head angle bikes that will take 45c tires with fenders. I suppose that might be easily explained if Spec measured at full extension of the slides and Soma measured at min extension.

I wish some publication or blog would do a roundtable discussion of these design choices and trade-offs. I'd love to hear their rationales.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WA-CO View Post
    Inertia is right. Sizing is really wonky with some of these bikes.

However, other than price, not sure why anyone would do a Alum (alloy) based bike as a gravel grinder? Maybe a commuter bike, but on any moderately rough road, save up 'cause you're gonna need regular visits to the dentist to replace your fillings. Much much better options out there.

This is a short list, probably 3x as many options.

- Surly Straggler - Surly Straggler review | road.cc
    - All City Macho Man Disc - All-City Macho Man Disc Review | Urban Velo
    - Vassago Fisticuff - It?s Time for Fisticuffs with Vassago?s New Drop Bar Monster Crosser
    - Soma Wolverine - Wolverine | SOMA Fabrications
    - Kona Rove - Kona Rove - first ride review - BikeRadar
    How about the Raleigh Tamland? The 105 version is priced right.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I really like the Wolverine, so I was really bummed when I learned they weren't offering anything larger than a 58cm. At 6'4" a 58cm is a categorical no-go. My only other nit w/ their geo was the chainstays are shorted than I'd prefer.

Speaking of . . . the chainstay dimension is another spec that varies dramatically despite apparently identical target use: 455mm on the AWOL vs 425mm on the Wolverine. Yet both are steel, SS and belt-compatible, 72-deg head angle bikes that will take 45c tires with fenders. I suppose that might be easily explained if Spec measured at full extension of the slides and Soma measured at min extension.

I wish some publication or blog would do a roundtable discussion of these design choices and trade-offs. I'd love to hear their rationales.
    Check out black mountain cycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I saw that Giant is offering Anyroad in carbon in 2015.

AnyRoad CoMax (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast