mtbr member
    May 2013

New bike - Cyclocross - but which one?

I am looking for a new bike, I have narrowed it down to a cyclocross and a budget of around 1100 but there are so many choices out there.
    Believe I want a steel frame.
    Have looked at Genesis croix de fer, Surly, Specialized, Trek - u name it and I am confuse around now.
    Definitely so far preferred the Surly, but they only come with the "regular" brakes, don't really have the bike lingo down:-)
    Plan of use is mainly for the 10k to work each way, but as well for offload in the weekends. Expect it is a good idea with two sets of tires for this.
    The big question - what to get where I get most for my money and the correct fit?
    what is the best bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

RE: New bike - Cyclocross - but which one?

I'm considering the same usage and my current front runner is the Merida Cyclocross 3. Well spec'ed and significantly cheaper than other brands.
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you open to used? It is the off-season so there are a lot of great deals out there.

I would stay away from generic (4130 crom-moly) steel frames (like All-City, Masi, Surly etc.) they are quite heavy. Surly is so popular, but the frames are nothing special

If you are set on steel, I love the Lemond Poprad with disc brakes - it is a fairly light (True Temper Platinum OX) and the steel frame that is extremely well built (in the USA) but unfortunately now discontinued by Trek. They show up on eBay sometimes but can be expensive (about $400 for just the frame); but worth it. If you build it up - look for Avid BB7 "ROAD version" disc brakes with 160mm rotors.

Higher end hydro-formed aluminum cyclocross frames are typically lighter than steel. My favorite is the Cannondale CAAD9 CX, but there are many others. I am 6'-2" and need a 60cm top-tube which is very hard to find, but the 60cm CAAD9 CX is a perfect fit.

If you really want lightweight than it will be carbon fiber. It is over your budget, but for my money this Willier Cross Carbon Complete Bike for $2000 (on sale) is the best deal out there: 2013 Wilier Cross Carbon/SRAM Force/Rival Complete Bike - Competitive Cyclist

I am sure you know, but make sure you get the correct frame size, especially the top-tube that fits. I recommend that people do your body measurements at these 2 free sites:

Wrench Science: https://www.wrenchscience.com/Login....%2fHeight.aspx (you need to sign up for a password - still free) and Competitive Cyclist: Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

Then look at the averages between what these 2 sites spit out for your measurements should be for a ROAD bike and subtract 1cm from the top-tube dimension.

Then look for a cyclocross bike that lists the top-tube measurement, the seat tube isn't that important (even though that's how they list the sizes).