Thread: New bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

New bike

Here is my new CX bike. It is a Felt F65X. They had to order me a new stem and I am going to swap the saddle out and change tires to a 37mm or so. I also may get some wider rims if I can find some that are lighter but still strong enough to hit rocks etc. I need to get rid of all the reflectors before the big kids see me! I had them mount my crank bros eggbeaters and I will add some to my Flash as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bike-image.jpg  

Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Stickers and reflectors gone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    21.13 lbs including the eggbeater 3 pedals (278 grams). I'm going to take some of the stickers off the wheels as well.
    Last edited by donn12; 11-08-2012 at 04:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Now that is purdy. What's your max tire clearance on the rear?
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Now that is purdy. What's your max tire clearance on the rear?
    It comes with 32 and looks like it will take 38 - maybe 40 but depends on rims

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What is the attraction of putting fat tires on a cross bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My 29er has 2.25s , the CX has 32mm. I think 32 -35 with aggressive tread is probably ideal for a CX race and bigger might be better for single track if its rough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    A good rolling 34 ish tire works well for cross racing. There are some tires that are slow and over kill.

I ask because I see people buying cross bikes when they would have been better off with a 29er....and vice versa

mtbr member
    I don't race or anything. I like having a larger tire for a bit of cushioning, plus compatibility of parts with my 29er. I also like the stability of wider tires in loose dirt and gravel, that's what works for me, YMMV
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    I don't race or anything. I like having a larger tire for a bit of cushioning, plus compatibility of parts with my 29er. I also like the stability of wider tires in loose dirt and gravel, that's what works for me, YMMV
    Yeah...I hear you. But I think that you get to a point where a person would want to be on a 29er if you need wider tires.
    My cross bikes are race bikes with 32-34 tubies.
    My 29ers are set up as race/trail with 1.9 -2.5 tubless.
    I live where it's rocky and rooty...so a cross bike is not the hot set up on trails, but I know there are a lot of areas where they would be fine.

mtbr member
    Well I'm looking at cross bikes not for the single track and mountain trails (that's what my 29er is for), but for the dirt roads/gravel roads/fire roads, desert paths around my area and my commute duties. I don't need 55-60mm tires to ride that but I have tires and rims already. I'd rather find a cross bike that can handle them than have two wheel standards to keep up after (I'm cheap that way).

mtbr member
    Sweet bike. I've had my 65x since the start of the season and I'm lovin' it. Good luck with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I removed half of the wheel decals.
    I did my first ride today. This bike is awesome, fast and the brakes are great. I'm glad I went with aluminum because I did some single track today and the bike feels bullet proof.
    I also switched to a specialized toupe plus saddle

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    here is my new cx bike. It is a felt f65x. They had to order me a new stem and i am going to swap the saddle out and change tires to a 37mm or so. I also may get some wider rims if i can find some that are lighter but still strong enough to hit rocks etc. I need to get rid of all the reflectors before the big kids see me! I had them mount my crank bros eggbeaters and i will add some to my flash as well.
    nice!! Have fun!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    very nice bike! grats!