mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Needing help pick mid entry cross bike

I have been riding my HT mtn more on road and fire trails. I plan on doing longer rides and looking to do few gravel grinders. I'm 6'5 with 34 inseam with budget of 1200-1400 dollars. I do want a bike with disc brakes option to run up 38 or 40 mm wide tire.

My top 3
    2014 Giant Anyroad 1
    2014 Specialized Tricross Elite disc
    2014 Specialized Sectuer Elite disc

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Of those options I would go with the Giant. It was on my list until I discovered my short legs will not fit on it.

If you can extend you budget at all I say the Kona Jake the Snake is a great option. This is what I ended up purchasing myself.
    KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | CYCLOCROSS | JAKE THE SNAKE
    Or you can go with the regular Jake.
    KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | CYCLOCROSS | JAKE
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I seriously looked at the Kona Jake series mainly because I've always enjoyed Kona MTB's. My only problem was I am overseas right now and while we have a Kona dealer here, apparently they neglected to pay their tab and couldn't order any new bike for awhile. In the end I got on the forum here and a few others and found a company that ships FPO and ordered a Ridley X-Ride. While I haven't received it yet I think I'll have it in a week. I did also look at the Specialized Tri-Cross line also. My budget was about the same as yours. The Felt line is nice too, but no disc brakes. Good luck with your search I looked for 2 weeks before making my decision I also liked the Civilian as well.
    Last edited by U.S Navy Hef; 03-28-2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by U.S Navy Hef View Post
    Good luck with your search I looked for 2 weeks before making my decision
    Lucky you. I looked for almost 2 months before I found one in my price range that was short enough for my legs. On a positive note I did find a new bicycle shop in the process and the owner let me ride his personal 2014 JtS before I placed my order.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yakkoTDI View Post
    Lucky you. I looked for almost 2 months before I found one in my price range that was short enough for my legs. On a positive note I did find a new bicycle shop in the process and the owner let me ride his personal 2014 JtS before I placed my order.
    I didn't have the luxury of driving to all the shops like you may. I'm over in the middle east for 2 years and we have one shop only here. Kona and Orbea. I also have short legs, but I have a Raleigh that is a 50cm so after much debate and research I ordered a 50 cm Ridley. Hope it fits.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    So the Anyroad and Tricross are sort of gravel grinder types, while the Sectuer is in the plush road bike genre. Are you looking for something relatively upright and relaxed?

Any of those bikes would probably be OK for gravel grinding and fire roads, though I wonder about the tire clearance on the Sectuer. Since we're in the cyclocross forum, I'll mention that they wouldn't be especially good choices for CX racing.

I am a bit of a Kona fanboy myself. I've got a 2008 Major Jake and a 2013 Jake the Snake (built as a singlespeed) and a 2013 Jake. If you're open to more of a CX race geometry, the Jake line is a great choice, and Kona has a history of sponsoring tall riders (Trebon, Wicks) so I would guess that their bigger frames would work well for you.

I think the entry level Jake is a really great value. It's got the same Tiagra parts spec'd on the bikes you listed for a couple hundred dollars less. The Lyra brakes on the Jake aren't nearly as good as the BB7's on a couple of the bikes you listed, but they are as good as BB5's (maybe a bit better) and you'll probably want to upgrade once somebody works the kinks out of a hydraulic road brake system anyway.

If you can fit it into your budget, the upgrade Jake the Snake is well worth the money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    +1 for the Snake, picked one up a month or so ago. Only have a couple hundred gravel miles on it, but I love it.

The only issue with it is that I serously doubt a 40mm tire will fit the back. Chainstays are fairly close to the stock tires, which are labeled as 33's, but measure a tick over 35mm.
    '02 Kona Bear (R.I.P) - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ridley X-Ride on competitive cyclist FTW. Super deal right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm looking to do more road riding and I have near by rail to trail gravel trail which I like ride. I'm not ready to dive into CX racing world just yet. I haven't seen any of these bikes in person yet. I have liked the design of Anyroad with is multi braking options. The reason for option for wider tires is I'm not read to fully take up a road bike and the real skinny tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Competitive Cyclist is where I picked up my Ridley from. I'm hoping it arrives this week.