mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Need new brakes for Crux Carbon Expert

I am completely new to cross. Just picked up a bike, it was too good of a deal to pass on...

The previous owner switched out the stock shifters/levers to the Sram Red levers but I still have the crappy stock tektro wide brakes in front and narrows in back. They dont seem to work very well with the sram red levers. Lots of lever movement with very little braking power.

I am used to riding a specialized carbon 29er stumpjumper with XX world cup brakes. I know I am not going to get that kind of stopping power but I want something with a decent amount of stopping power. The tektros dont seem to have any. I think I prefer stopping power over pad clearance.

So what do you guys suggest. I am not necessarily planning on racing in the mud... but I wouldn't rule it out. I am going to try and do a few races this fall. I dont want to spend a ridiculous amount of money, but I know you generally get what you pay for with brakes. How are the avid shorty ultimates? I also saw the TRP EuroX Carbon adjusts on for like $180.

I just have no idea what I am doing though with cantilevers so I am open to any recommendation.

Also, other than the brakes, what would your first upgrade recommendation be... best improvement for the money Everything is stock except for the levers, the chainrings were upgraded to wickwerks and all the cables are gore sealed cables.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Switch to TRP 8.4 mini-v's. Way easier to set up than canti's, and v's give a much more powerful feel in general, especially if you are coming from the MTB world.

Great looking bike, BTW!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mini v's are the best. I used Tektro's mini v and jag wire's adjustable barreled noodle set up. All in all I think I spent less than $50 for the set.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So do certain brake levers work better with certain brakes? Do they have to somewhat match, or is that not necessary?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Road levers tend to have a shorter pull, thus you need mini v brakes. Shorter pull meaning, the actuation of the lever pulls a shorter length of cable compared to mountain bike levers.
    Hopefully this makes sense.

mtbr member
    I'd try Kool Stop salmon brake pads with your current brakes and see what happens. If they still suck -

Ultimates if you'll be in the mud. Mini v's if you're always on dry dirt.