mtbr member

Need Help! Cyclocross bike decision

I checked out a cyclocross race last weekend and really got the bug. Even better my girlfriend had a blast watching and told me I need to get a cyclocross bike! That turned out better than expected for sure. My budget is about 1500, and I don't have the ability to test ride much. I haven't the first clue about how they should handle, which may be a good thing as whatever I get will make me happy.

I plan on racing it, hopefully using it as a winter training bike and I also want it for some grasshopper adventure rides we have out here in sonoma county.

I've come down to three options, please expand if you think I should.
    1. '13 Crux Elite disc apex
    2. Raleigh RX 2.0 w/105
    3. Giant TCX SLR2 w/105

Right now I'm leaning toward the Giant, mainly because of the internal cables, 15mm through axle. It looks cool too. I also think I can find some used lightweight mtb wheels to throw on it later on.

What do you all think, I value your opinion as many of you have a lot more cross experience than I.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just went through pretty much the same process as I started racing cross this fall. I went with the '13 crux elite disc apex that you mentioned above. I like the Sram stuff much better than the 105. My crux has served me very well so far. The only modification I've made is a stan's tubeless kit on the stock wheels/tire package, which is working very well also. I test rode the raleigh as well, but not the giant.

mtbr member
    I have a tcx, and my wife has a crux. Both have shimano components. Our bikes have canti brakes though. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the bikes you listed. I prefer giant though!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I believe that the Crux has internal cabling as well. My husband and I have Crux's (2012 and 2013) and they both have internal cabling (no thru axle). The Crux is a great bike. I don't have experience with the other 2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    I believe that the Crux has internal cabling as well. My husband and I have Crux's (2012 and 2013) and they both have internal cabling (no thru axle). The Crux is a great bike. I don't have experience with the other 2.
    You're right! I forgot to add that my wifes crux has internal cable routing.