Bro Mountainbiker

Nature Boy 4130 vs Nature Boy Zona

Well, unfortunately, my Dirty Disco is cracking and Im gonna need something to commute/ race CX on while it is away for warranty, and I have been getting the itch lately for another SS road/cx/commuter bike.

The Nature Boy seems to have the perfect geometry for what I need... Low BB, perfect ETT, etc.

So who has ridden both frames? Any differences in ride quality? All-City claims that the Zona is 1/2 pound lighter, which is cool, but not a deal breaker. If the Zona is a better riding frame, ill just go ahead and buy that one.

Both current paintjobs are dope. The purple-people-eater is slick, and so is the vintage Ritchey-esque of the Zona.

Ill probably build up either bike with parts bin stuff, maybe mini-vs and build some wheels on Surly hubs.

Price difference with the shop discount is only about $200 between the frame sets.

So, what is your opinion? Is the Zona a better ride? Stiffer in the BB? Smoother?

Thanks Fellas,
    Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Having been an 'Olde School' framebuilder, 4130 = plain gauge tube. Zona is of course, is a butted tube, hence the weight difference. The general difference is that the Zona will feel more lively, sort of have a 'tuned' feel to it and be more 'springy'. Zona is used for MTB bikes as well, so no probs as to strength and durability. If the Zona frame has an external butted seat tube, it has a very long thick butt section off the BB, so stiffness should not be an issue.

Hope this helps.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    4130 = chrome moly tubing plain and simple and doesn't mean it's plain gauge and it's usually double butted. Hell my '89 trek 950 was lugged & brazed true temper 4130 and triple butted. Rider weight has a lot to do with how a frame can ride just like the design and mix of tubing, diameter of tubes and if it's butted, blah, blah, blah...

How much you weighing in at Sheepo ? My thoughts are 180lb and up and often the lighter (even stronger) tube sets can often feel like a noodle. Under 180lb's and folks often feel 4130 isn't as compliant and the upgrade can be worth it. Of course each frame design again can completely change things.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Thanks for the responses!

I agree, my 1985 Schwinn Cimarron is triple butted 4130 and it is ANYTHING but stiff
    And Im only about 160 pounds in race season.

But im honestly looking for more real world experiences.
    I guess I should hold out and throw a leg over both. As the proof is in the pudding...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post

I guess I should hold out and throw a leg over both. As the proof is in the pudding...
    Wise decision, the best decider.

Just to help in the understanding of 4130 in the forms given. All higher grade steel frames are 4130, this is the base metal used, various tube makers will add in minute amount of 'extra', say chromium or niobium, to the steel mix to get key characteristics out of the steel and some tubes will go through heat treatment processes and this changes the final product.

As a frame builder, I use Zona and like it. If I make stuff outside the norm, I order 4130 off the steel supplier separately, and it is not butted. There are a lot of production frames made this way. In terms of those early frames mentioned, they would be 1" Top Tube, 1 1/8" Down Tube. Tubing has been liberated from those fixed sizes and now you can tune in as stiff or flexible as you want. Eg: 1 1/8" @ .7mm has the same stength as a 1 1/4" @ .5mm, not much in tube diameter, but a lot in wall thickness. This is what frames are now about, and the variables are huge. To the lay-man this is all confusing, and to the frame-builder, a night-mare, there is no common ground to establish 'feel' in comparing frames between brands. Though the same frame made in house by the same company should fall into the category I have described in my earlier response.

Anyway, be patient, do the test ride and draw your own informed conclusions.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am interested in paying a little extra for the Zona also but the BB30 might be a deal breaker. Lots of great deals on 105 and ultegra cranksets out there for ~$100. I also have an apex crankset in my parts bin. But there are not a lot of great choices or values out there for BB30. I suppose I could go with one of those adapters. Anyways, it's something to consider.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwhitey View Post
    I am interested in paying a little extra for the Zona also but the BB30 might be a deal breaker. Lots of great deals on 105 and ultegra cranksets out there for ~$100. I also have an apex crankset in my parts bin. But there are not a lot of great choices or values out there for BB30. I suppose I could go with one of those adapters. Anyways, it's something to consider.
    You are right. BB30 is an epic fail with these frames! Threaded fits their style more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post

I agree, my 1985 Schwinn Cimarron is triple butted 4130 and it is ANYTHING but stiff
    And Im only about 160 pounds in race season.

You would be more than fine on Zona. I recently built up a road frame for a buddy using Spirit for lugs and it was plenty stiff for him at 180 lbs. He was coming off of a flexy mid 80's steel tank.

Agreed on the BB30. I'm not anti BB30/PFBB30, but on steel BSA is the way to go

hispanic mechanic

Nature Boy 4130 vs Nature Boy Zona

I love my NB Zona, and with aftermarket PF30s like the Praxis and Chris King, I think the peccadillos I had with this bike are minimal.
    However, I've decided to sell mine in order to buy a frame that I can throw gears on after 'cross season is over for road training.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Eli Broccoli
    NBZ here. The weight difference was closer to a pound (my shop had both) and with a king (or similar) bb, I've had no issues with creaking anymore. It doesn't seem like you want this thing to be uber light but if you did, frame weight isn't the place to do it so I wouldn't let that be the thing that sways you one way or the other.
    Stiffer? I don't feel as much of a difference as I thought but it isn't a noodle either. I weigh 160 and hammer that thing on trails but the Zona tubing is a dream. Much more supple than my previous Surly CrossCheck.
    The fork weighs as much if not more than the frame!
    People WILL comment on your paint scheme. Everyone. If you decide on the Zona, know that it comes with a lifetime of "cool paint" conversations.
    My opinion? Get the Zona because in ten years, you'll be happier you did.
    Any specific questions?

mtbr member
    Now if they only did a MMan disc Zona for wussies like me......

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre View Post
    Now if they only did a MMan disc Zona for wussies like me......
    I hear you on that. I probably would have pulled the trigger on one as soon as they became available (had they become available the same time as the NBZ). By the time they do, I'll be happily cruising on my custom SSCX I ordered instead...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GasX View Post
    I hear you on that. I probably would have pulled the trigger on one as soon as they became available (had they become available the same time as the NBZ). By the time they do, I'll be happily cruising on my custom SSCX I ordered instead...
    Going to look sweet with that Ford Racing Blue.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am looking to build a NB as well. I really can't justify the price difference, so I'll be going with the regular 4130.

Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    I've decided to sell mine in order to buy a frame that I can throw gears on after 'cross season is over for road training.

Los
    Shimano Nexus Inter-8 Hub > Components > Wheel Goods > Hubs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Im looking at a NB as well.
    The zona would be cool but pretty hard to come by in sweden

phsycle:
    Can you put on internal gears on a NB? That could be very useful!

mtbr member
    OK, you say that PF30 is epic fail regarding the BB.
    The regular Nature Boy has an old style english BB.
    What sort of BB can you fit there? To get a bit more modern than stock would be shimano octa link v1. Is there something else that is up to date and also lighter that can fit?
    TIA
    /J