Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

My new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2

Just picked this up, will be used mainly as a commuter, also for wet road rides, gravel, and point to point MTB races.

Size M/L, 19.2 pounds bone stock without pedals.

I switched out the tires to Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pro tires in 32c for commuting.

Black bar tape and saddle.

It has tabs for front and rear mudguards and racks, discs etc.

Like it so far, have about 100 KM on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2-tcx-2.jpg  

My new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2-tcx-1.jpg  

Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice Bike. Been thinking about this one for a while. What don't you like about it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nods Dad View Post
    Nice Bike. Been thinking about this one for a while. What don't you like about it?
    nothing so far, about 120 KM on it in a week, mostly commuting.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I know there is no seatstay bridge, is there a chainstay bridge, and any chance of a picture of the chainstays taken from the underside showing the amount of tyre clearance, thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjiCX View Post
    I know there is no seatstay bridge, is there a chainstay bridge, and any chance of a picture of the chainstays taken from the underside showing the amount of tyre clearance, thank you.
    I'll try to get some more pics
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I know the BB is actually pretty high (low BB drop), but its got a long front center - how does it handle in fast downhills - does it feel less "planted" than road bikes and such with lower bottom brackets, or does the longer front-center compensate?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hi,
    Swerny,how tall are you?
    Been looking at one of these but deciding between sizes?
    I am 6'2" and 34" inside leg.
    Thinking large but just wanna make sure,
    Thanx,
    Max

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Congrats, the bike looks amazing. I can't wait for mine that is coming this week. Stoked!
    NorCal High-School XC
    2014 Giant XTC Composite 29er
    2012 Scott Scale Team 29er
    2013 Diamondback Podium 5

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

This bike does it all!

I've got on too and it has been an excellent ride so far. I've used it for some road rides with some 25/28 tires on it, commute with rack and fenders, and have ridden off-road/gravel/paths, etc. So far, this bike has been really responsive and fun to ride. I think I've got about 700km on mine.

I switched the bar tape and saddle as well to black, as white would get way too dirty. I also put in a 34/46 CX70 crankset. I'm riding a S.

There is no chain stay bridge, nor a seat stay bridge. I'm using the Axiom disc streamliner rack and the SKS Velo 47 Trekking fenders with the optional stays. This stabilises the front, using the eyelets and on the rear, I managed to rig a clamp on the rack which gives a point of attachment that you would normally have on the seat stay bridge. The only disadvantage of this setup is that the fender only comes down halfway along the seat tube.My new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2-giant-tcx-slr-2-2.jpgMy new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2-giant-tcx-slr-2-5.jpgMy new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2-giant-tcx-slr-2-3.jpgMy new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2-giant-tcx-slr-2-4.jpgMy new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2-giant-tcx-slr-2-1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2-2014-giant-tcx-slr-2-wall.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Mike,

How do you like the Vittoria tires? I was looking at those too, but the one thing that I kept seeing was that they wear pretty fast. How have they been holding up for you?

I've been using a set of Specialized Roubaix 25/28s off of my last bike (destroyed when a car hit me) and they've been pretty good on the road, but once I get off of gravel or paved paths, I like to have the cyclocross tires on there. The stock Schwalbes have been pretty good off road (I took the bike through Crothers Woods the other day) but are a little slow on the commute.

I've got a set of Conti Top CONTACT Winter II's that I'm going to use once the snow starts flying (I'm in Toronto as well, so who knows what we'll get this year), but would appreciate your feedback on the Vittorias, as I was looking for a narrower CX tire for commuting (using paths, roads, trails).

Thanks,

Harris

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Commuter View Post
    I've got on too and it has been an excellent ride so far. I've used it for some road rides with some 25/28 tires on it, commute with rack and fenders, and have ridden off-road/gravel/paths, etc. So far, this bike has been really responsive and fun to ride. I think I've got about 700km on mine.

I switched the bar tape and saddle as well to black, as white would get way too dirty. I also put in a 34/46 CX70 crankset. I'm riding a S.

There is no chain stay bridge, nor a seat stay bridge. I'm using the Axiom disc streamliner rack and the SKS Velo 47 Trekking fenders with the optional stays. This stabilises the front, using the eyelets and on the rear, I managed to rig a clamp on the rack which gives a point of attachment that you would normally have on the seat stay bridge. The only disadvantage of this setup is that the fender only comes down halfway along the seat tube.
    Did you also swap the brakeset? I see TRP on the calipers but I thought it came with the new Shimano cx version?

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a M/L tcx 2, yours looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marinwolfrider View Post
    Did you also swap the brakeset? I see TRP on the calipers but I thought it came with the new Shimano cx version?

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a M/L tcx 2, yours looks awesome!
    The TRP Spyre brake set came stock on the bike and is excellent! I believe it was originally spec'd with the Shimano 515 set, but there was a recall. I've seen the Spyre now on Canadian and German versions of the bike. This bike is an amazing deal here in Canada an lists $100 less than in the US!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have also been looking very closely at this bike. I just recently sold my HT 29er because I just don't have the time to load up, drive, ride repeat. Anyone else using this as their 1 do all bike? Any concerns with this Giant?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Chris,

I've been using it now for about a month and it's been great for pretty well everything. I commute with it during the week with rack, fenders and two panniers, riding both roads, bike paths and some trails. On weekends I've taken it out on mountain bike single track, gravel and paths, as well as throwing on some 25/28 tires and going out on 100k road rides. The bike is really comfortable, stable, stiff and surprisingly light.

The only issue I would say that I've had is when I change the wheels, I have to adjust the disc brake callipers a little bit, but it doesn't take me long to do it now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks much good to hear, this is on the short list for sure. Question does the SLR 2 have a thru axel up front or is that just the SLR 1? Thanks for all your help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's a regular 9mm (I think) standard quick release. It's not the 15mm through axle which is on the next model up. I looked at that model, but it was a little too much for a commuter/multi-use bike, it would limit my ability to use existing wheel sets, and I didn't want to use the first generation of the hydraulics. In addition to the 15mm through axle, the fork is larger at the top and uses the Giant overdrive 2 headset, which has limited stem choices if you want to upgrade anything in the future.

That being said, I'm really happy with the bike, and I guess I could always upgrade the fork, but would need to upgrade stem, and wheels as well, which could start to get expensive...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi Toronto,

May I know how to install the rear rack for this bike??
    Is there any self-made/modification on the seat clamp mount, so that the rear rack can be installed?? Coz I would like to use this bike for mid touring.

Thanks!

Andes

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The bike comes with a little adapter and bolts which mount on the back by the seat post. It has a d-shaped seat post (non-standard) which is held in place by a clamp which sits flush with the seat tube, using 2 bolts. The rack adapter fits on the back of this clamp with a couple or 'extenders' and uses longer bolts. It's a pretty clean and solid solution I've found and I normally just leave it in place, even when I remove the rack and fenders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is it able to take a photo on that "extenders", or another angle of that part of seat clamp?

By the way, how tall are you??
    I'm 165cm tall (about 5'5") and 73.5cm inseam. I'm thinking to get XS size or S size.
    As I usually ride the bike in 51.5- 52cm top tube (mostly XS size) with 90mm stem,
    but this bike is using shorter stem (70mm in XS and 80mm in S), so maybe S size also fit.

Do you think the frame is slightly larger than the normal TCR road bike? or in opposite?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm 5'7" and riding the S. I ride the TCR Advanced 0 in a M. The TCX SLR frame doesn't have the same top tube slope as the TCR.

Here's the adapters:My new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2-tcx-slr-rack-adapter.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Tektro Spyre Brake recall

Also note that there has been a recall on the Spyre brakes on the bike. I'm taking mine in to the shop today and they'll replace with the new parts when they have them.
    TRP Recalls Spyre and Spyre SLC Disc Brake Dual Piston Calipers | Cyclocross Magazine ? Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX LLOYD View Post
    Hi,
    Swerny,how tall are you?
    Been looking at one of these but deciding between sizes?
    I am 6'2" and 34" inside leg.
    Thinking large but just wanna make sure,
    Thanx,
    Max
    I'm 6'0 with a 32 inch inseam riding a M/L.

I think L would be right for you.

Mike,

How do you like the Vittoria tires? I was looking at those too, but the one thing that I kept seeing was that they wear pretty fast. How have they been holding up for you?

Thanks,

Harris
    This is the second set of these tires I have run, I had a set on my prior bike (Kona Major One).

Treadwear isn't the greatest but they are lightweight and I have never had a single flat with them, commuting or on gravel.

I buy them on sale from Bike Nashbar.

The TRP Spyre brake set came stock on the bike and is excellent! I believe it was originally spec'd with the Shimano 515 set, but there was a recall. I've seen the Spyre now on Canadian and German versions of the bike. This bike is an amazing deal here in Canada an lists $100 less than in the US!
    Interesting, my LBS replaced the recalled Shimano calipers with upgraded units.

I haven't been on the bike much as of late, but I am very happy with the purchase.

You have to go to the SLR1 to get the front 15 MM axle
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So there is no adaptor in the fork converting it to QR that you can take away and use with 15mm axle. I think I notice it before but maybe I'm wrong. Are you able to check it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I finally got my TCX SLR2.
    That is really a nice bike, especially for riding in different kind of roads.

As my area got lots of hills to climb, I found 36TX28T is not enough for me to do so (especially after a 80KM long riding).
    I knew 105 could only support max 28T, but I also heard lots of ppl successfully change it to 32T, they said it depends on the lenght of rear hanger.
    So is anyone here tried to replace the cassette to 11-32T successfully??

I also plan to change the crankset to 50/34 later on. And I hope the 34X32T is enough on the long climbing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by andeschau View Post
    I finally got my TCX SLR2.
    That is really a nice bike, especially for riding in different kind of roads.

As my area got lots of hills to climb, I found 36TX28T is not enough for me to do so (especially after a 80KM long riding).
    I knew 105 could only support max 28T, but I also heard lots of ppl successfully change it to 32T, they said it depends on the lenght of rear hanger.
    So is anyone here tried to replace the cassette to 11-32T successfully??

I also plan to change the crankset to 50/34 later on. And I hope the 34X32T is enough on the long climbing.
    andeschau - have you gotten any further with your gearing ideas? I've got a few 25% climbs near me and so it could be handy to at least change something.
    Doubt you could change to 50/34 AND 11-32? that adds a huge number of teeth and surely well out the range of the 105 rear mech?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast