Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Flewbags View Post
    Thanks, appreciate it. I've contacted Giant UK and they've said there's no proprietary guards to get it and despite being made with rack mounts and fittings for a front guard you can't fit a rear one! Beautiful!!
    Clearly you have proved them wrong and so will I:-)
    Took a month but:

https://plus.google.com/101586313862...ts/QiXEjE2Sz2p

Just rolled over 550km, really happy with the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    what is driving me a little crazy is how much setback the D Fuse seatpost has ....

when i measure it - i get different results!

a second & third opinion would be great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The one off 19mm spindle press fit BB sucks, every single tool out there is for a 24mm spindle.

I don't know how to take it off without destroying the bb.

I want to install my new BB91 BB and Ultegra 6750 crank, so I can mount a stages power meter.

I rolled over 1050km, the front has started to creak (sounds like a click) some when I am standing and putting load onto the handlebars, torqued the stem bolts not long ago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by P90Puma View Post
    The one off 19mm spindle press fit BB sucks, every single tool out there is for a 24mm spindle.

I don't know how to take it off without destroying the bb.

I want to install my new BB91 BB and Ultegra 6750 crank, so I can mount a stages power meter.

I rolled over 1050km, the front has started to creak (sounds like a click) some when I am standing and putting load onto the handlebars, torqued the stem bolts not long ago.
    did know that about the tool. I imagine a LBS will be able to get it out - likely with a hammer though.

i had a creak that i was convinced was the BB, and internet story about FSA BBs helped that along. I check the bolt of the pedals and chainrings and still - every now and again this infuriating creak started.

eventually i thought of spraying GT45 into the springs of the SPD pedals.

worked a charm. need to do it every few weeks. but it was def the issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

My new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2

Also. That D-post and clamp can creak too. It sounds like it comes from the BB because it seems to occur with pedal strokes. Take out the post and grease it, along with the clamping wedges. Seemed to make more noise when OUT of the saddle torquing the frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Re: My new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2

Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Also. That D-post and clamp can creak too. It sounds like it comes from the BB because it seems to occur with pedal strokes. Take out the post and grease it, along with the clamping wedges. Seemed to make more noise when OUT of the saddle torquing the frame.
    interesting. Will try this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So my LBS has one of these in stock at a killer price right now. Size M/L. I'm 5'10, 31 inseam, and would really basically use this as a road bike for my clyde body.

Thoughts on appropriateness of bike/size?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'd have thought that would be a bit big for you. I'm 6'1 with 34'' inside leg and have a M/L. It's just big enough for me. I probably sit somewhere between the M/L and the L.
    If the LBS has one in why not go and try it. It's a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am 5'10 and 32" inseam and the ML was too large for me.

What's a killer price? I paid 1350 for mine.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Mine was £999 on 3 years interest free finance from All Terrain Cycles in Yorkshire. They're not listing them anymore but they're still no at £995 with Formby Cycles near Southport on interest free over 2 yrs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    $1040. Giant sent LBS the wrong bike, but didn't want to take it back so they extended floorplan allowance and he just wants it gone.

I just rode it. It seems like the big difference between the M and the M/L is top tube length/reach, at least on paper. I flipped the stem and that helped. I think it was OK, but I'm compromised by having ridden nothing but mountain bikes in the last 20 years. Anything with a more road/cross-ish setup feels foreign to me.

My use of this bike will really be as a go hop on it and pedal my 275 pounds on pavement for a few hours/30-ish miles for exercise. I'll probably put some slick 28 tires on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by millargeo View Post
    $1040. Giant sent LBS the wrong bike, but didn't want to take it back so they extended floorplan allowance and he just wants it gone.

I just rode it. It seems like the big difference between the M and the M/L is top tube length/reach, at least on paper. I flipped the stem and that helped. I think it was OK, but I'm compromised by having ridden nothing but mountain bikes in the last 20 years. Anything with a more road/cross-ish setup feels foreign to me.

My use of this bike will really be as a go hop on it and pedal my 275 pounds on pavement for a few hours/30-ish miles for exercise. I'll probably put some slick 28 tires on it.

That's a great price. Maybe a shorter stem will help, I felt too stretched over the bike reaching for the bars.

I run 700x28 marathon plus for commuting on mine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by millargeo View Post
    That's a really good price!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

interesting. Will try this.
    This totally worked thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Looks like the 2015 model is up on Giant's website.

11spd 105 and they have seen what everyone did and dropped the stupid white.

It also says it has a 15mm thru-axle (on the SLR2) but it doesn't look like it to me?

TCX SLR 2 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This totally worked thank you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've got over 3000km on mine now, and have ridden it as a commuter all winter with studded tires, raced it at Steaming Nostril and Paris-Ancaster, and used it as a fall/spring road bike with fenders and 25/28 road slicks. This bike has been awesome and pretty well does it all. I just got my first flat as well, but it was a sidewall tear on a new set of Clement LAS that got caught in a rut. I can't recommend this bike enough. I've had no issues with the hubs, and the wheel set has been pretty decent. Eventually, I'd like to put on a set of Stan's new Grail wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The seat post is carbon I believe, so you might want to use carbon compound and not grease.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I had a bit of a squeak coming from the headset area, and thought it sounded like cables rubbing. A mechanic at my LBS told me that it might be something to do with the bottom bearings of the headset in the Giants. A little bit of TriFlow dribbled in there has solved it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Awesome on singletrack. I've been riding a lot through the Don Valley trails and there's only been a few places where I had to actually get off the bike, due to the steepness of the trail, mostly on the descent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flewbags View Post
    Loving this look. I've just bought one of these and I'm struggling to find some mudguards (Fenders??) to fit and how to keep them on. Can you explain or provide some close up pics of what you've done. And which model 'guards have you fitted.
    Cheers.
    I'm using the SKS Velo 47 Trekking mudguards with the standard U-stays (VELO 47 TREKKING - mudguards - de - SKS Germany). They fit perfectly and are really clean install, without having to use any zip ties, etc. Make sure you get a rack accessory kit with the large spacer washers for a good fit though. I posted some pictures previously in the thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Commuter View Post
    I had a bit of a squeak coming from the headset area, and thought it sounded like cables rubbing. A mechanic at my LBS told me that it might be something to do with the bottom bearings of the headset in the Giants. A little bit of TriFlow dribbled in there has solved it.
    I had nasty squeaks coming from there and I sprayed it down with lube and all is well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Commuter View Post
    I'm 5'7" and riding the S. I ride the TCR Advanced 0 in a M. The TCX SLR frame doesn't have the same top tube slope as the TCR.

Here's the adapters:Attachment 854543
    I can't for the life of me figure out what you did here. I just bought this bike (my first serious ride too), and I want a rack. My LBS has suggested i use bags, but I know it's kind of lame, but I really like the look you got going on here. Would you mind elaborating a bit more on what the "cylindrical adapters" and "rack adapters" are?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnify View Post
    I can't for the life of me figure out what you did here. I just bought this bike (my first serious ride too), and I want a rack. My LBS has suggested i use bags, but I know it's kind of lame, but I really like the look you got going on here. Would you mind elaborating a bit more on what the "cylindrical adapters" and "rack adapters" are?
    The rear rack attachment should have come with the bike, you bolt it on through the seat post clamp. It's 2 cylinder spacers and a block adapter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The rear rack attachment should have come with the bike, you bolt it on through the seat post clamp. It's 2 cylinder spacers and a block adapter.
    I bought my bike as a display/trial model for $1100. It came with nothing that wasn't already attached.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast