Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoobis View Post
    andeschau - have you gotten any further with your gearing ideas? I've got a few 25% climbs near me and so it could be handy to at least change something.
    Doubt you could change to 50/34 AND 11-32? that adds a huge number of teeth and surely well out the range of the 105 rear mech?
    I found out the Cassette is actually using 12-30, instead of 11-28.
    so I guest I won't change it at this moment.
    Just try to ride more, and build up more muscle first.

But by turning the b-Screw of rear mech, I think 105 SS could mount the max 32T. (Although 105 ss said only for MAX 28T, but hey, the original setting is already 30T!)

However if I change the crankset to 50/34 with 11-32T, I believe I would need to buy a new chain to do so. So maybe later, I could buy a Ultegra crankset with BB86, new chain, and XT 11-32 Cassette to change it at the same time.

Holy Land Rider.
    May 2008
    Me like it so bad

ride safe, they look awesome.

would really appreciate some single trek review

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andeschau View Post
    I found out the Cassette is actually using 12-30, instead of 11-28.
    so I guest I won't change it at this moment.
    Just try to ride more, and build up more muscle first.

But by turning the b-Screw of rear mech, I think 105 SS could mount the max 32T. (Although 105 ss said only for MAX 28T, but hey, the original setting is already 30T!)

However if I change the crankset to 50/34 with 11-32T, I believe I would need to buy a new chain to do so. So maybe later, I could buy a Ultegra crankset with BB86, new chain, and XT 11-32 Cassette to change it at the same time.
    I'm running the Ultegra CX70 crankset with a 46/34, the 105 SS RD and an Ultegra 12-30. I also put on the Ultegra chain and all is running quite well. I've found that this gets me up pretty well everything, although I do see that the 11-speed new Ultegra RD is offered in a GS and will run a 34 I believe. I think this bike would also be great with the Ultegra di2 system on it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just picked up a SM for my wife - fitting was yesterday and swapped out a few components to make it more female friendly (stock saddle was an a$$ hatchet and swapped out the bars)

I'm super jealous - my Felt F75x is showing its age after 3 seasons of busy racing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    hey Toronto Commuter,

How did yo get on with switching out the Bottom Bracket of the 2014 TCX SLR 2?
    Pretty sure it is a FSA Press Fit BB, although the spec says Mega Exo - which i believe is the bearings that are integrated into the Omega crank. Not sure.

If anyone is doubting this bike. Don't.
    So much bang for the buck, great spec for a great price.
    Last edited by gaffer; 04-06-2014 at 05:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My wife's - so far she loves it

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    My wife's - so far she loves it

So has everyone switched out the bar tape then?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    She switched saddles, so naturally I had to use black bar tape to match.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think the white tape (and saddle) on a bike that's meant to be ridden in the mud was kind of silly to begin with. I thought about switching it to red, but it was a bit of a pain to find a red saddle that I liked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Also black bar tape, the white didn't even make it out of the LBS.

First real bike, quite happy with it. Logged about 200km on it so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Looks like someone is actually using their bike for riding, commuting and function over form. I like it! Those fenders are talking to me: buy this bike, put these on and make rainy riding a bit more bearable. Great bike!

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Looks like someone is actually using their bike for riding, commuting and function over form. I like it! Those fenders are talking to me: buy this bike, put these on and make rainy riding a bit more bearable. Great bike!
    Good point, we tend to forget sometimes that bikes are transportation first. Someone else in another post mentioned how many (maybe most) bikers add miles to their cars driving them to some place to ride, rather than riding replacing driving. I'm trying to do both less driving and more riding and frankly, fenders and two sets of tires for the Fargo is helping a lot. I do miss my CX bike and sometimes wish I'd gotten a Warbird instead of the Fargo, but then conditions change and 2.2s make more sense than a dedicated gravel bike.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So to all of you that have had these for a while any issues or concerns about the build or spec?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    So to all of you that have had these for a while any issues or concerns about the build or spec?
    Other than the brake recall (not an issue for you) none in 1000+ miles

I have heard mention of the Hubs being a bit sub par, but frankly for a cycle-to-work budget bike you are not going to get great wheels.

For a mostly 105 drive chain (fsa crank) it is great quality for a great value price.

There are many great bikes, this is definitely one of them in this price bracket.

All issues (other than recall) have been adjusting the fit as I am too tight to pay for a proper bike fit.

Looking forward to putting on thinner/ non-knobbly tyres and a 50T as I seem the be spending most of my time on Tarmac.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Depends on the usage of this bike. I don't use it for CX, but for short tour and commuting. So I have some minor issues/concerns after my 1200KM riding:

1. The original wheelset is heavy!! However, the 135mm spacing for the Rear wheel is 2 sides blade indeed. If using for sporting or short tour, you cannot choose to use the lighter RB wheelset, so it just fit the relatively heavy 29er wheelset (mostly are 28-32 spokes), but not the 700c one (20-24 spokes).

2. FSA stock crankset is heavy... and the small chain-ring is not small enough. I prefer the 50/34T compact RB crankset if using for short tour. Using this bike to climb long hill is quite a problem for me, even using 36TX30T.

3. Another issue is the long chainstay, it is also the 2 sides blade. Yes, it provides a longer wheelbase for stable and comfortable rides; but it also affects the acceleration and climbing ability too.

Point 1&2 could be easily solved by $$! And other than that, this is a perfect bike for touring and commuting!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What does 2 sides blade mean?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks so much for everyone's input. I won't be racing or anything, just mixed surface riding, mostly gravel etc. I find with life these days loading my 29er, driving to the trail etc is becoming more and more time consuming. Gonna unload that and move into something more suitable to jumping on going riding whatever is front of me.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by P90Puma View Post

Also black bar tape, the white didn't even make it out of the LBS.

First real bike, quite happy with it. Logged about 200km on it so far.
    Loving this look. I've just bought one of these and I'm struggling to find some mudguards (Fenders??) to fit and how to keep them on. Can you explain or provide some close up pics of what you've done. And which model 'guards have you fitted.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'll post some details but they are planet bike Cascadia fenders from MEC

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by P90Puma View Post
    I'll post some details but they are planet bike Cascadia fenders from MEC

Thanks, appreciate it. I've contacted Giant UK and they've said there's no proprietary guards to get it and despite being made with rack mounts and fittings for a front guard you can't fit a rear one! Beautiful!!
    Clearly you have proved them wrong and so will I:-)

Goes to 11

Good job! Thanks for the inspiration !

Here's mine, stock build + tubeless conversion

btw,
    both rims and tires are tubeless ready,
    worked great after applying stan's rim tape and some sealant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2-2014-05-12-08.35.17r.jpg  

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    i dont mean to come over obsessed about weight, but seeing as i had my tires and tubes off i thought i would get some rough weights for the wheelset using some cheap electronic kitchen scales (it took a bit of balancing to get the wheel weights, but reasonable ball park figures).

Original Skewer - 55g
    Original Tube - 123g
    Schwalbe 35mm - 412g
    Front Wheel w/Rim Tape & Rotor - 1.15kg
    Rear Wheel w/Rim Tape & Rotor / Dork Disk & Cassette (30T-12T) 1.73kg

From recollection the Rotors are a touch over 100g and allowing 400g for the cassette and Dork Disk the bare wheel set (without rotor, disk and cassette) ballpark weight would be would be:
    1.15kg + 1.73kg = 2.88 kg
    - 2 x 100 (rotors) & 400 (cassette and disk) = - 600g

= 2.28 kg
    (*Ballpark*)
    ---- front wheel ~ 1050g ---- rear wheel ~ 1230g

Dont feel you must rush out to buy a lighter wheelset,
    It is not to difficult to cut 200g+ off each wheel by putting on lighter tyres and tubes, which is almost 0.5kg off the weight of the bike and it is taken off the best place (rotating mass furthest from the center).

Loving this bike.
    Last edited by gaffer; 05-14-2014 at 08:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewOriginal View Post
    Here's mine, stock build + tubeless conversion
    great. any issues with the process?

whart psi are you inflating the super swans to?

mtbr member
    May 2014

Smile Grammage

Weighed my stock wheels today, stripped. Just with rim tape.. - FRONT - 1055g - REAR - 1265g
    Last edited by Flewbags; 05-16-2014 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm

I picked up my TCX SLR 2 about 6 weeks ago and so far after 1000km's it's been pretty solid. Just a few points:

-Seat post is carbon fibre and self-aligning so make sure you use a torque wrench to adjust the seat height.

-The specs on the website show that the brakes are suppose to be Shimano BR-R515 mechanical disc but mine came with Avid BB7 Road instead. Earlier versions of the SLR 2 came with TRP Spyre brakes that were recalled. So check the specs at your LBS before buying.

-Bike fit was tricky. I'm 178cm (5'10" roughly) with a 32 inseam and I ride a medium frame (52.5cm). This size is good for off-roading but for commuting I had to increase the stem length to 110mm.

Other than that, the specs are pretty good for the price! Shimano 105 drive train is pretty smooth!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast