mtbr member
    Sep 2012

My new 2014 Felt F65X

I had the misfortunate of losing my beloved bikes a week ago. Thieves cut a hole through a metal wall and got three bikes - two were mine. Total of 10 bikes stolen in the past month from four different lockers in my building, really a shame.

After this ordeal, I was a little gun-shy to drop my whole insurance cheque on a new road and mountain bike, so I decided to try something new and went with a cross bike. This is my new 2014 Felt F65X. It's a 50cm and weighs in at 21lbs. I mainly ride on pavement these days and on occasion will visit some light trails.

My new 2014 Felt F65X-feltf65x-1sm.jpg

So far I'm enjoying it, although the geometry is much more aggressive then I'm used to. The SRAM Apex components and disc brakes feel solid, and I'm pleased with how light and nimble it feels.

There were two other bikes I was considering while shopping for a replacement. The first was the Specialized Crux E5 Sport Apex Disc, but after calling around I learned that the 2014s of that model were already gone for the year.

The second was the Cannondale CAADX Ultegra, mainly because I previously had a cannondale and thought it was a fine bike. But in this case, I wasn't happy with my local dealer, which got me wandering to another shop that is known for their service and offered a 2hr fit session with their bikes.

All in all, I love the bike and I think a cross bike was the right choice. I just hope I get to hang onto it for longer then a year, unlike my previous two rides.
    2014 Felt F65X

2013 Giant XTC Composite 1 - Stolen
    2012 Cannondale Synapse - Stolen

mtbr member
    What did the bike run you? I like the felt but my shop loves to charge MSRP and above. Disc brakes rock? ohh and beautiful bike. keep is safe

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    What did the bike run you? I like the felt but my shop loves to charge MSRP and above. Disc brakes rock? ohh and beautiful bike. keep is safe
    FYI the shop **barely** covers buying and holding the bike with the markup. Nobody is getting rich reselling bikes. Except, maybe Felt's OEM.

Nice bike! Now go ride it. And be safe doing it..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    FYI the shop **barely** covers buying and holding the bike with the markup. Nobody is getting rich reselling bikes. Except, maybe Felt's OEM.

I realize that they make little off the bike but when a shop charges more than the list price then I'll go elsewhere.. I support my shop but there is a line....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    I paid 1800, msrp in Canada. This is the first season the shop is carrying Felt. They are a Cervelo and Focus dealer. I think the felts are great value. I'm looking at getting a carbon road bike for my wife and the Felt is 1750, while the comparable cannondale was 2200.

The disc brakes do rock. Its the first time I've felt disc brakes on anything but a 29er mtb frame, and I have to admit its pretty awesome.
    2014 Felt F65X

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post

If dealers don't make much off of new bike, how are they able to mark own the sticker price so much when the new model year comes out. I was just at my LBS and saw Last year's Felt F3 (road bike), I think, a $3000 bike for $2300. In 2010 I bought my 2009 $3500 Fisher Roscoe 2 for $2500 and they still offered full aftersales service, including free replacement of the lower swingarm when it broke (lets see bikes direct offer that!)

I don't mean to hijack the thread, nice bike BTW!

jrm
    mtbr member
    Nice. I take it this bike will reside in your apartment?
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Nice. I take it this bike will reside in your apartment?
    I definitely considered sneaking it up the elevator, but our building has some pretty strict rules. Although I'm sure I could put up a pretty good argument right now.

Since the break-ins, they have beefed up security on the lockers, new doors, locks, etc, and a security guard in the evenings. We're waiting to see if they're going to be installing cameras. If not, I'll be starting a petition.

I also upgraded my own lock and chain, and retrofitted a disc lock motion alarm, meant for a motorcycle, to the rear wheel. Puts out a piercing alarm if the bike is touched. Might be overkill, but I think I'm allowed to be paranoid.
    2014 Felt F65X

mtbr member
    We just got a few of those in for customers at our shop. Those things are super nice rides. After putting a few of them together and riding them i'm going to have to order a Breed.