Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

My butt sucks.... a saddle question please help!

So apparently I have the wussiest butt on the planet. No matter what I ride, my butt hurts in less than 20 mintues. I've tried a number of saddles from different companies in different shapes including some of the best (WTB, Arione, and currently Toupe). This has gotten ridiculous. The best I have found so far is the Toupe, though even on my 9 mile commute if I don't get out of the saddle much it hurts. I seriously have to stand up every 5-10 minutes or it's uncomfortable, and this is the best of all of them by far! It's usually my perineum with most saddles, though the toupe it is the sit bones that hurt. The toupe is the only saddle I have had that is tolerable, and I've had it for about 6 months now. I've done 30 mile rides, and as long as I'm out of the saddle a lot, it's doable. If I sit for more than 10 minutes it's not comfortable.

Help a guy out... what do I need to do?

Currently I race CX and rude a crux expert if that helps. I'm 6' tall and ride a size large.

mtbr member
    Chamois shorts or pants?
    I dunno man, I have "lackadonk" myself, so I don't have much natural padding...KWIM? But my most comfy saddle is a Tioga Spyder fully plastic saddle, so go figure! But I think that is the bike(a fatty with a front shock) more than anything else factor wise, the 5" wide tires smooth out the bumps!
    There isn't much choice for unicycle saddles(so your stuck!) and my other 2 bikes have stock saddles. I just do padded shorts for longer rides on my other bikes. But my fatty, no padded shorts needed.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

No, that's not phonetic
    You could try a recumbent.

Seriously. If you want to ride, but can't stand standard bike seats ("wedgies" as 'bent riders call them), a recumbent may be the ticket. For road rides only, of course.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

My butt sucks.... a saddle question please help!

How long have you been riding and do you wear padded shorts?

You do harder not the more you ride, but padded shorts are essential for taking the edge off.

I do around 80miles a week and I would be in agony if it wasn't for good shorts. My saddle is an sdg bell air FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been riding since march after a few years off of the mt bike. Never got into longer rides on the trails. Got into cyclocross and love it. I always wear shorts with a chamois. Good bibs or my racing skin suit.

I've found any saddle with a convex shape (high middle low sides ie. Bontrager RL) is worse than a flat saddle.

I weigh in at 145 so "lackadonk" rings true here for sure.

mtbr member
    Go out and ride some technical trails.. You wont have time to worry about the pain in your butt and most of the time you wont be sitting down.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks Ross, I do enjoy that. Part of the reason I choose to race CX. It's a blast.

But that doesn't solve my problem. Road miles and commuting for CX training.

The Brutally Handsome
    You might consider a classic Selle Italia Flite, tried and true design:

Selle Italia Flite Titanium Road Bike Saddle Black TI Rails Leather TT CX MTB | eBay

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    love my wtb pure v!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Street Doc, I had one and just didn't work.

Maybe a flite.

Any more suggestions?

mtbr member
    did you get your sit bones measured at a specialized dealer? I sized into a 143 width. I run the toupe and phenom saddles.

Human Test Subject

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Brooks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I used a bunch of online tools and measured out to 143 in Specialized saddles. I looked at the flexibility tests (I'm highly flexible) as well as sit bone measurement. I don't remember what my measurements were off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Have you tried the Romin saddle? I like it much better than the Toupe. Also, I would try a Brooks or Selle Anatomica. I haven't tried the latter, but people swear by them. My Brooks have been awesome, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nope haven't tried the Romin. Only the avatar and toupe, and liked the toupe better. What's different between the Romin and Toupe?

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The Romin has a swooped up back. Saddles are a personal decision. Have you verified that the saddle is level? Also, are you sitting on the right spot on the saddle, not too far forward or back? You may want to ride for a few minutes, then have someone ride next to you and film some video to check your position on the saddle while you are pedaling. Since the Toupe seems to feel better to you than others, it might be worth trying the other two widths. Grab one off ebay in a different width and sell it back on ebay if it doesn't work. Specialized phenom and henge are MTB saddles in same style as Toupe.

A good saddle will feel crappy if the saddle is not positioned correctly on bike. Where as a bad saddle can feel better if you inadvertently change the position of the saddle on the bike while moving from one saddle to the next. I use the BB as a reference and a level.

mtbr member
    You might be better served with a bike fitting. You may be running saddle too high or your position too upright. When I race CX, i run my saddle about 5mm lower than road height because of all the bumps and such.

I've been cycling regularly now for 15 years and have gone through many saddles: WTB, Selle Italia, Specialized, Fizik, Pro logo, and Bontrager. The specialized saddles and WTB Rocket V works for A LOT of people.

I've been running Fizik saddles lately just because they came on my last few bikes. I seem to like the ones for medium or high flexibility people: Antares and Tundra. They are kind of hard but pretty sit bone oriented. They seem stiff at first, but never get worst during the ride. :-)
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have had WTB Speed V saddles for years. Then I started doing 100 mile rides/races and my butt could not take it. I moved to the Blackburn Fire Trail and love it. Just enough padding.

Blackburn Fire Trail MTB Saddle > Components > Saddles and Seatposts > Saddles | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

SS in CO
    Brooks B17 for me all the way. I have wide sit bones and they work great. granted, they're not light, but for me, having my rear feel good after a ride is worth the extra weight.

caveat is that you have to break them in. but that won't take you long considering how much you ride.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for more ideas. It seems like I need to pony up the $150 for a bike fitting in conjunction with trying every saddle on the planet. Dang. Not venting at you guys, just wishing my butt was less sensitive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    ...I would try a Brooks or Selle Anatomica. I haven't tried the latter, but people swear by them. My Brooks have been awesome, though.
    another brooks rider here, and i agree--oldschool brooks or an updated selle anatomica are definitely worth a try. don't be deceived by the thick, stiff leather and lack of foam or gel padding either. the leather is suspended like a hammock fore and aft, and conforms to your specific anatomy like a custom shoe or glove relatively quickly. my brooks team pro model came "pre-softened" from the factory and was comfy from day 1.

i've owned a few selle italia flites over the years, but i can no longer ride them on long rides since they don't have enough cushioning or give for me.

wtb's rocket v, pure v, and silverado have all been very comfy on my mtn bikes. but if i had to choose to ride one saddle based purely on dependable comfort regardless of how many hours or consecutive days riding (or how heavy the saddle weighs), i'd pick my brooks over all the others.

but i've never tried one of these ISM saddles, which places function over form, and may be worth a look too: Technology | Ideal Saddle Modification
    Last edited by slo_rider; 11-25-2013 at 09:34 PM.

mtbr member
    If you investigate the ISM Adamo saddles, you will be introduced to a concept that has not yet been discussed here. They will place your sitbones further forward than is conventional, and they offer various options on how much back angle you ride at. These saddles also only work if the seat rails are level, not the top of the line of the saddle. Riders have erred on that one and discarded them without a fair trial.

The back angle is interesting as it tilts the pelvis into differing placement of the sitbones.
    This could help in your seach, but you need to review your whole riding position to get it to work for you. Don't be frightened off by this, I have the Breakaway version and by sitting over the BB shell more, it solved a major back problem as well. But we are all different, so it is a matter of trial and error.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Update... I have 3 new saddles here or on their way to try. We'll see how it goes.
    Charge Spoon
    Prologo Kappa PAS
    Selle Italia Flite

I can't afford a brooks saddle, and I'm not sure how they work for racing. Maybe I'll have to go there at some point.

Maybe I'll get lucky.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Would like to hear what works for you. Interested in the Charge Spoon and some Sette Italias myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast