Thread: My 1x9 Setup

mtbr member

My 1x9 Setup

So first off this is my first geared bike that I care about. I come from BMX and SS Mountain bicycle background. Having gears to me is pretty new. I decided for my first year cross racing I would make my new Santa Cruz Stigmata a 1x9.

My setup
    Sram 950 11-28 Cassette
    Sram 971 Chain
    Sram Rival front derailer
    Sinz 42t Front ring
    Ultegra 6500 9 speed rear derailer
    and two 6550 9 speed shifter/brake levers.

I set the chain ring up on the inside.. Being on the outside where my factory 46t went it was going to give a funny chain line when up in the easy 28t side.

So far after about 100 miles on the bike I have had zero chain drop or any chain or shifting issues. To all those who are thinking about buying a chain keeper or double ring setup you may want to reconsider using this setup to save cash. My first attempt was with the Ultegra 12-25 cassette. After my first muddy race the 42/25 was pushing my limits. Now with the 11 and 28 on each end this thing makes for a perfect all around bike, training, road, long rides.. it all gets it done!

See you on the trails!!

mtbr member
    Nice-How about a full bike shot?

mtbr member
    I am also building up a 1x9 SC Stigmata. Parts are still coming in but my list includes the following:

White 52cm Stigmata w/Easton EC90 fork painted to match
    Utegra 9 spd crank with a 39t ( I'm old and open space is limited here)
    11-28 Ultegra/Saint cassette
    Ultegra RD (short cage - it can take 28t max though I know its been pushed to 30)
    Dura Ace 9spd shifters
    Ritchey Classic polished alu seat post and stem
    Deda 46 compact bars - I'd get bigger if they made them. Coming from MTB I figure wider is better.
    Fulcrum Racing 5 CX wheels
    Ritchey Pro saddle

Brakes confuse me and looking at the online reviews makes things worse. I remember the canti days from MTB's infancy and wish to forget them. That being said the IRD's look nice, have excellent reports and are not crazy money. There are new Shimanos around $64 each and the Avid Ultimates have a good rep but are expensive. I just can't see the money for the Pauls. Otherwise that leaves me with linear pulls/minis like the TRP CX9 which look cool in red but reviewers complain about limited adjustability. Then there is the whole discussion about which brake works with what lever. It makes you want to forget the whole thing go SS. Good luck with the build!

Twin Six METAL Team
    If you can spend the money, go with the Avid Ultimates. They really are worth it...for what little braking you will get once conditions go south. They are a breeze to install and adjust!

mtbr member
    I used BBG for my 1x10 setup, the chain can't come off and if I remember right the guards were only 28g per side and 12 bucks apiece

mtbr member
    The chain gaurds do look better than a phony derailer. But it still looks like it could jump to me if it really wanted too.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
    I used BBG for my 1x10 setup, the chain can't come off and if I remember right the guards were only 28g per side and 12 bucks apiece

Same setup on mine and it works great. I ride my cyclocross bike on the same rocky single track I ride my MTB on...no chain jumping problems at all.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post

Any problem with chain rub at the extreme ends of the cassette?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    That looks really great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice work! Red and black... Always good contrast.

mtbr member
    Did you use extra long chain ring bolts with spacers to get the two guards on or is that a MTB crank with a 64 inner?

I <3 dirt
    I used exactly that; long inner chain ring nuts and bolts and some spacers that were the same thickness as the spider on my crank. I'll post up pics when I get home.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    I think they were "tandem" chainring bolts, mine has been setup like that for over a year and the chain has never fallen off