mtbr member
    Jun 2012

MTB Derailleur & Cassette with Force Shifters?

I recently moved my race MTB from 2x10 to XX1. I have a Specialized Crux Expert Carbon Disc. I'd like to move the X-9 Rear Derailleur and XG-1080 Cassette over to the cross bike... it has Force Double Tap shifters. I think it's possible; anyone know of any reason I might run into trouble?

Thanks!

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    I am reasonably certain the shift actuation ratios are the same, or similar enough. That said, will you have a lot of mud / sloppy races in your area? One of the reasons cyclocross bikes run short-cage road rear mechs is the short cage design helps to minimize mud buildup in the cage/pulleys - one of the single most common causes of rear mechs "exploding" or being ripped off in CX races is from the pulleys jamming up with mud / grass and organic matter. I've heard that as the rationale for a number of people in wetter regions to forego long-cage and mid-cage designs out back.

If you're racing in Colorado, Arizona, California... really anywhere you're not going to see a lot of messy weather, you're probably good to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks Lonefrontrang! I should have called out its a mid-cage. Didn't think about the exposure issue... I live in seattle so 99% of our races are wet dirty affairs, but I've started riding my cross bike almost exclusively (when not on an MTB) and only do a couple CX races each year. Hmm... will have to think about this one.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    well I live in Colorado so it's not a huge concern here; that said I have seen plenty of trashed mechs in CX races when the weather goes south (we have horrible stopper clay here).

If you want a cheap option, you might try something like this: Retroshift BURD Rear Mech. I have no idea whether the thing weighs seventy eight pounds or what and I've no experience with the company but for >$70 you probably can't go wrong.

besides once the bike's clogged with mud, all bikes weigh thirty pounds. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

edit: since you're riding the bike and only racing it a bit this may not be a consideration but have you thought about going single-ring? It'll help cut down on the drivetrain complexity and basically eliminate the possibility of chainsuck (cause of many broken rear mechs IME), tho you'd need to add a chainguard.

Yo.

IIRC, the ratio for both road and mtb systems is 1:1, but the actual amount of cable pulled per shift may be different between the two. At least, that's what I recall from when SRAM's road product was first introduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

It will work great. I use a set of Force shifter, a compact crank, and an 11-32 cassette with a red Long cage RD. It shifts great. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Giant is producing a new bike this season, The Revolt that is spec'ed with an X9 group and SRAM road shifters: Revolt 0 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Looks to be an interesting application for CX
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2