mtbr member

Mountain bike for Cyclocross?

I am building up a Canfield Nimble 9 as Rigid/Singlespeed w/ a 480 a2c TA Carbon Fork.

I will be using it for XC riding but CX has finally came to my area and I would really like go out and suffer this fall.

After completing my N9 I will start building a new FS 650b bike so my funds will be low.

Other than the weight difference between a legit SSCX bike and my Rigid/SS N9 what other problems might I have??

I compared my frame against the new Norco threshold. I will have 30mm more reach (438vs407mm). The N9 will be about 1 degree slacker on the HA. ETT will be 45mm (635vs590mm)

I am running a 50mm stem on the N9 so that will eat up some of that ETT length.

I am planning on putting a set of drop bars on the N9 and I have a set of CX bb7s I picked up for $20 and some Cane Creek Hoods.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Other than the front triangle being small (and the bike being hard to shoulder) I think you'll be fine. I used an older Trek 9500 as a back-up for CX and during the two races where I swapped bikes my first season I managed to hold my place for the balance of the race. You'll find your riding style will be slightly different than folks on dedicated CX bikes, but it's not a deal killer at all.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Forester.

I am also unsure of what tires to run. I currently have charger pro's. 28mm External width, 22.8mm internal. I was thinking a lightweight race 29ers 2.0in tire would be good. I'm not sure if I could run a typical cx tire with the rim width. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm running 35c kenda kommando's on my stock Stoudt SL wheels that came with my carve 29er SL ss mtb. They fit fine.

We'll see how I like racing it on the 20th, it'll be my first cx race with an mtb (did others on a cx bike) and my first SS race.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Thanks for the info Forester.

I am also unsure of what tires to run. I currently have charger pro's. 28mm External width, 22.8mm internal. I was thinking a lightweight race 29ers 2.0in tire would be good. I'm not sure if I could run a typical cx tire with the rim width. Suggestions?
    I run CX tires on stock Fargo rims that are the same size. The Club Roosts are pretty good for drier conditions. I like the CX version of Kenda's Slant Six but any lower profile/smaller knob narrow 29'r tire would work good. A lot of the "low center knob/aggressive outer knob) tires work pretty good in the muck because they seem to clear quickly.

The Sheldon Brown rule of Rim width (internal) times 1.46 equals the minimum tire width seems to work well.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.