mtbr member

Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Ti Sizing

Not being too familiar with the ins and outs of road bike sizing, I recently went into a local Performance to ride some cross bikes around the store to test the fit (and to see what this SRAM double tap stuff is all about, not too bad).

I settled on the 56 Fuji Cross frame as being a fairly decent fit (I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam) even though the stand over still seemed a bit tall.

Then I start comparing the size charts with the Motobecane that I would like to order, and I'm seeing some seemingly large differences between the two:

Most noticeably the wheel base and stand over seem shortened a fair amount compared to the Fuji. I haven't looked around at other brands, but do the Motobecane Ti frames run on the small side, and do riders typically move to the next size up?

It's just that ordering from BD you're basically ordering blind, and there are no shops that carry Motobecane frames anywhere near here. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to which direction I should go. Being right in the middle of sizes isn't helping much either. Any thoughts appreciated.

mtbr member

Re: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Ti Sizing

Looks like you are same size as me. L on MTB and 58cm on road bike. Since cross bikes should be at least one size smaller than your road bike you should be good to go with a 56cm Moto

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I was leaning towards the 56 as well, since it has the same effective top tube as the Fuji I was on, and has a lower stand-over which seems like a plus. The wheelbase just seems a bit short at 38.7. I guess the wheelbase isn't as much of a big deal in comparison though.

mtbr member
    This a hard to follow comparison.

Firstly, on the 56cm frame, wheelbase variation of 41mm. The Chainstays are of equal length as is the EFF TT. Both forks have 45mm offset. Only the head tube angle is different by 1 degree. This does not equal a 41mm variance. You might like to obtain actual drawings of each to more accurately nail this issue down. Also, the Fuji has a common 72 degree head tube angle for a CX bike whereas the Motobecane is road bike steep. Beware and get some owner feedback if possible on the quick steering that this will give and also, check the toe overlap as a short wheel base - short front centre specifically - may also be a problem.

I would recommend to you to look at Strawberry Cycles (Google it) and use the fitting chart to get a better look of yourself and your proportions to size correctly.

Thirdly, do not worry about head tube length. The Motobecane will be shorter in the steerer stem which means you can position lower down to the h/bars, or fit a riser stem to sit more upright. You can play with your position on Strawberry's site.

More study, details, mere details.....pun intended.

Happy hunting.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    I found some images of each that appear to be near the same scale (about the same wheel size and wheel base in pixels, not sure about frame sizes). I did a quick skeleton overlay of the Moto on top of the Fuji:

It looks as though the top tube angle and head tube seem to be the large contributing factors in the difference in wheel base and stand over. Good point about the head tube angle, I wasn't really considering that. I'll check out Strawberry as well, thanks.

mtbr member
    Hmm, in that pic the Moto fork appears to have more of a bend in it, resulting in the fork angle being almost identical to that of the Fuji. Perhaps the difference in HTA isn't as bad as it seems.

mtbr member
    Very well done. The overlay is revealing. It does appear that the Moto spec sheet is not as true to reality as the visual seems much more clear. The numbers do not match, so one is wrong. The picture tells a different story, so we will call it that they are essentially similar. My point about the head tube length is correct so up to you on which size you want to go for.

Eric

mtbr member
    I am still concerned about the short head tube. Although the lower hand position appears to be about the same between the two due to the shorter drop of the MotoB bars, the upper hand position seems quite a bit lower on the MotoB. I'm sure a different or flipped stem and spacers could remedy that to a degree, but it still seems like an excessively short head tube.

I'm also not crazy about the rear hub being 130mm, it seems like 135mm is pretty standard now, and I'm concerned about getting stuck with limited disc wheel options down the road.

Still though, at under $2k it's pretty hard if not impossible to beat for a decently specced Ti cross bike.

mtbr member
    In terms of head tube length in isolation, Mountain bikes are regularly this size and take more punishment, so don't beat yourself up on that one. Stems can be worked out for ride position, remember that Motobecane is an old European brand and they are still following traditional design themes. The argument is in favour of 135mm spacing for the rear wheel - mixes well with the MTB brethren. It is not too hard however to spread the rear end a little, but squaring up the brake adaptor could be a problem, remember, we are talking 5mm total, 2.5mm each side of centre. Or, 130mm will have some form of wheel support, as there are existing bikes out there in this configuration, and if road bikes come on stream with Disc's, we just have to wait and see which way they will go.

Eric

mtbr member
    Good points, it does seem like any apparent shortcomings can be compensated for and aren't necessarily deal breakers. This bike is definitely worthy of consideration. Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    For those interested, BD has opened up pre-orders on 2015 models of both the Pro (Rival) and Team (Ultegra) versions of the Fantom Cross Ti, with a ship date around mid-August this year. If you're interested I would get in now, these don't seem to last very long.

mtbr member
    These are shipping now, a whole month ahead of schedule, and it looks like there are still some available. I received mine today and can't wait to get it setup.

Just a word of warning: the 2015 model comes with an 11 speed drive train, not a 10 speed as indicated on the website. I had already built up a wheel set for the road in advance with a 10 speed cassette, but that's going to have to change now. Not a huge deal but worth mentioning.