mtbr member

Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw (1st Ride / Cross Bike/Mini Review)

So I just got my self a Moto Fantom Cross Outlaw the other day and took it out for my 1st ride this afternoon. I gotta say I am in LOVE with having a cross bike. I am a big time road rider who semi made a turn for the dark side MTBing. I still yearn for my road bikes and love riding them very much but at the same time I really do enjoy the outdoors of just getting lost in the woods. Well I broke down and used my tax return to buy a new toy. End result was 56cm Fantom Cross in Matt Black W/ Green.

So my bike showed up just as fast and normal as most of my BD buys. No problems what so ever shipping and box wasnt jacked up. Right off the bat I swapped the bars, stem and post as I had some Ritchey Pro's sitting around and also changed out the saddle to something I could slide around a bit more on. Greased everything up and went over the whole bike. Tossed some homebrew stans in the tubes just to play it safe as well.

One thing I will say is I was not to happy with the fact that ALL the cables were cut to short for the bike. I had a set of Jagwire housing and cables sitting in my parts bin but still kind of pissed I had just dump a cable set on a brand new bike. Also rear caliper is pulling a tad bit when the bars are all the way turned left or right and no matter how much slack you give it will it stop it. I guess thats just from the routing and full length cable housing so no biggie didnt notice it on my ride and I wont be jerking the bars to that extreme anyways.

I went with a 56cm, I am 5'10 and ride a 555-565 top tube so figured lets just go with the normal size Fits perfectly and happy with the Geo. I also wanted Shimano for my drivetran, I would have spent the extra coin on a full 105 or 105/ Ultegra group but they dont make a step up on the Outlaw with anything other then 22speed Ultegra or your Pick of SRAM. I love SRAM on my mtb but I am not a fan at all of the road groups. The Tiagra shifters are smooth and I am very happy with them. FD does what a FD is made to do and the 105 Rear Derailleur is nice and smooth. FSA Gossamer crankset gearing seems to be perfect for my area and as always am happy with there stuff. BB5's are breaking in nice during the 1st ride. Conti Cross Race 35mm tires are still in the air. The ride quality is very nice and they are fast as fawk on the trails. I did get a flat in the rear but I was running low pressure so bumped it up after I patched it and took it easy.

I really like the frame color. The matt finish is really stealthy and the green just does the job to really finish it off. Welds look good and the frame is well made. Its from Taiwan like most BD frames. The carbon fork is beefy as the 3k finish is very well done. Was in the air with having a carbon fork but with how thick it look I am not even worried

So now on to my 1st ride. Well I gotta say I am sold on a Cross bike. I started the ride from my house and headed over to the trails. I wanted to dive right into the single track! So about 3.5 miles to the main trail head parking lot. Got right in blasted some music and started on my loop. Holy cow I was so blow about how fast and nimble the ride was. I felt like I was just flying and looking at my strava time I sure was. Gotta get used to riding skinny tires on the trails but wow. I cant even describe how amazing it was to ride this bike. Having the feeling of sprinting on a road bike while riding in the woods was like a dream come true. It climbed like a champ, cleared some log piles no problem. Took the corners like it was nothing and just showed my a new side of cycling. I just had this big stupid grin on my face the whole time. Got a few looks like what the heck is this guy doing riding a road bike in the woods but I cant wait for more. I really am impressed how fast and quick they ride. Its definitely an alternative to a mountain bike by my local park. It was 100% capable and some of the trails I hit. Gotta work on my lines but root sections, logs, soft sand, muddy patches, gravel you know it it tackled it!

I am definitely more comfortable on a road bike thats for sure so it was nice to feel at home on a Cross bike I hit most of main trails and didnt have any problems what so ever. I did how ever start to go over in my head if I left anything out of my saddle pack and forgot a tire leaver so you know after saying to my self take it easy so you dont get a flat guess what happened...... Lucky me I had a patch kit and strong like bull to get the tire off and on.... But after that I just wanted to play it safe and finish up the road / head home as I didnt wanna take that walk of shame back to my house.

So I knocked out a quick 18 mile ride. 7 of them on the road to the trails and the other 11 of just pure single track fun. If I didnt get that flat I would have did more but I got lucky once so will take it. Snapped a quick picture after I got back home. Will take some more detailed ones when I get a chance. After I got home moved my shifters up a bit more and my new SPD pedals showed up so swapped them out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    HNBD!!! Happy New Bike Day. I myself have been considering a cross bike as my second bike. Something a little more road and path that I can still get dirty.

Looks good, enjoy!

mtbr member
    So got 2 more rides in since I posted this. Gotta say still very impressed with the bike and what it can handle. Since the last two rides I took it into the harder parts of our trails and how no problem at all! Actually turned the trails into a challenge and made them so much more enjoyable again. Its definitely a new style of riding and makes you really learn how to be light on your feet? And pick a really good line.

I can say that I like strange things and I get a big joy out of doing stuff that isnt the norm and this sure is one of those things. People give you the double take when you come flying up a climb on something that looks like a road bike. But there is nothing more satisfying then enjoying my ride. Its the best of both worlds. Road bike style bike with drop parts and STI shifters but with an off road twist. This bike is not just for grass and fire roads I tossed some harder trails at it and it excelled like no tomorrow!

I am still a bit afraid of the carbon fork but I do enjoy having it soak up some of the bumps as I am running 40psi front and 40-45psi back so tires are not squishy. I rather avoid pinch flats and wanna play around with what will get me to and back from the trails. The gearing is great the 46/36 works for getting out on the road and blasting to the trails and the 36 ring is what I have been using for the trails. I am sure I can use the 46 as well during the race season as I wont be ridding just pure twisty single track. I was thinking about making it a 1x10 but I wanna keep it how its geared. I have a bashgaurd coming from BBG that will let me run it with a double and got some 15mm chain ring bolts to hook it up. Hopefully it will work and fit right on, I am really enjoying the gearing but I dont wanna smash up my 46 ring on logs or bust my chain.

I took the bottle cages off as they got in the way if you wanted to do the whole Cyclocross shouldering thing. While I havnt really found the need to I should still practice and they made it impossible to with out smashing into them. I have a 2nd camelbak that I just tossed all my saddle bag stuff into and a spare tube. Its easy to shoulder the bike with that on and gives you some cushioning as well. I figure id rather also have the weight on my back then on my bike. Also just like why I dont MTB with water bottles I forgot that I was riding in muddy / sand / dirt and god only knows then when to take a swig of water to find a mouth full of dirt so camelbak it is!

mtbr member
    So I ditched the Conti tires just now after I got home from a ride. I noticed that I was slipping as ton in the rear and while it could have just been one of those days after I got home I looked at the rear tire and you can see some really visible wear on the center. I only have 86 miles on the bike and the wear it shows is kind of big for out of those miles 24 of them took place on the road.

So I happen to have bought up a bunch of pairs of Clement Crusade PDX 700 x 33c's while I was waiting to get my cross bike and I slapped two of them on just now! One thing I noticed about them is the feel much softer at the same PSI and they also are larger. I took my caliper out after I mounted the front tire and was a bit sad I was going from a 35mm to a 33mm. After looked at the PDX I noticed that it looked like it had more volume to it. So I busted out the calipers and what do you know the PDX at 40PSI messured to be 35mm and at the same PSI the Conti tires measured to be more of a 33mm. So that is a bit strange! But I know on my fat bike some tire companies can be sketchy about what and how they consider size. I also even used my finger in the rear Stays as marker and I had less room with the PDX then when I had the Conti on.

Overall I think the Conti is a nice fast rolling tire but for me I am beating the heck out of this bike / training with it almost strictly on Singletrack trails other then my short commute to them and even then I found trails that lead me almost to the place I ride so my pavement ride is probably 2-3 miles round trip. They ride very fast in the trails as well but when I hit the climbs with gravel or loose dirt I dont have that grip I really need and end up grinding it out and as of today had to walk up two that I normally just kill.

The PDX is very aggressive looking and I think it will hold up way better in the Singletrack and what I am going to use this bike for. I hope the treads hold up on the pavement and dont wear as fast as the conti's did. I figure I will save them for racing when the day comes and the track calls for it but for now if I am going to just be training in the trails I might as well use something more suited for them. These tires have a great review as well and I bought them on sale for 20 bucks a pop so as of now very pleased. Cant wait to test them out tomorrow for the 1st ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have loved my PDXs and have gotten a ton of miles out of them. My bike spends most of the time on trails with a few trips along the roads and greenways. Save the Conti tires for doing super long skids thats about thier best use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricker Joe View Post
    I have loved my PDXs and have gotten a ton of miles out of them. My bike spends most of the time on trails with a few trips along the roads and greenways. Save the Conti tires for doing super long skids thats about thier best use.
    Yeah I gotta say the PDX's are amazing! They hook up so nice in the trails and roll fast on them as well. So much better then the Conti's.... I gotta say those tires are probably going to end up on ebay because they are just a waste of space. PDX running same PSI feels so much softer and yet I have less fear of a pinch flat. The ride is way smoother and you can really tell the difference in tire choice. Happy I bought a bunch of these

On a side note I installed a BBG Bash guard two days ago and its probably the best thing I did beside change those god awful tires! I gotta post up some pictures but I think the ring and spacers was like 78g and after mounting it up I had to bend it about to get it to fit with out chain rub. It is holding up nice, yesterday on my 1st ride with it I went over a bunch of stuff but made it a point to just test it. Today 2nd ride, I went over anything I could find and went hunting for logs. If I was in the range of tapping it the guard would just help glide over nice and smooth and the one semi large hit it took didnt even move it(Side by side bending). So I am impressed with the quality of the bash and as well of its performance.

I wish I knew about these before I spent the cash on other brands that are more money and does the same job for my MTB's. The guy Erin who makes them is awesome as well. Called me back the night I wanted to get some info on them and after I bought them sent them out asap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi there. Nice looking bike! Kinda makes me jealous! I bought a Fuji cross back in October and have been riding it weekly since. My first love is mountain biking, but I thoroughly enjoy my cross bike. Plus, it allows me to get at least one more ride in per week simply becuase I can get home and begin a ride immediately versus having to pack up and drive to a trailhead, which I don't always have time for.

I bought an extra wheelset for my cross bike. I now have a road/trail wheelset and a road only wheelset. That works out well for me since I use the bike for a lot of different riding combinations.

Anyway, I liked your post so I thought I would comment!

Good riding-

J.

mtbr member
    Great pics! I was about to get the same bike, but went with the Fantom Cross pro for the Sram Rival setup. Discs would be nice, but I'm just waiting 'til later to swap my brakes for some Shorty Ultimate brakes.

I've ridden the crap out of my Fantom, already a few hundred miles on it, definitely not worried about the carbon fork anymore (which was also a concern for me at first). So I think you should be able to ride with confidence if you're still sketchy on it.

mtbr member
    I was interested in the same bike. Any idea how much it weighs?
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp (On order)
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    I was interested in the same bike. Any idea how much it weighs?

I know that mine weighs 20lbs with no water bottles and no saddle bag. Everything else mounted, including bottle cages.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erickbrian View Post
    I know that mine weighs 20lbs with no water bottles and no saddle bag. Everything else mounted, including bottle cages.
    Nice! I wasn't expecting it to be that light but I don't know a whole lot about these types of bikes.

Thanks
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I just ordered the exact same bike tonight before reading this thread. Thanks to you and this awesome mini review, I probably won't get any sleep now until the bike shows up!

mtbr member
    Looks like they are out of 56's, damn.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3

that guy
    Jun 2011

Re: Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw (1st Ride / Cross Bike/Mini Review)

Quote Originally Posted by ian0789 View Post
    I have a bashgaurd coming from BBG that will let me run it with a double and got some 15mm chain ring bolts to hook it up.
    Which BBG ring did you order, exactly, and where did you order the bolts? Does Erin sell them? And did you need some sort of spacers?

I'm guessing it was just the 110 BCD 46T ring he sells, but I want to be sure.

Thanks ahead of time!
    Last edited by paleh0rse; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:39 PM.

that guy
    Jun 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    Looks like they are out of 56's, damn.
    I'm 5'10", like the OP, but I chose the 54cm model so that I can whip it around a little more on all the tight singletrack in my area. YMMV

mtbr member
    I did get the 110 46T bash but as much as I did like them and how nice they are I ended up smashing it and bending it with in the 2nd ride so I got one from FSA off amazon its a bit larger then the BBG ones but does the job. I did still use the spacer from Erin to mount up the FSA Bash. The ones from BBG are more like a chain guide or light bash. If you are going over big logs or heavy single track you are going to smash the piss out of it.

The bike is great tho, still loving it very much. Although I have had to take some weeks off due to a leg injury I cant wait to get back on it. The 56 fits me perfect but I went with the size TT I ride for road bike. Everyone will be different some might find the TT longer then they would like with a Cross bike but I personally think the reach and TT is perfect for me. I have a bit above average legs and long arms so to me it works. The 54 would have had me to much crapped up and I would have had to put a 110 stem on it to probably loosen up the reach.

FSA Bash if you are still looking for them
    Amazon.com : FSA 46-48T Alloy Cross Chainring Guard (110mm BCD) : Bike Chainrings And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

These are more heavy duty and will hold up better for what I am using them for. They are similar to MTB bash's a bit thicker and made to take more impact. They just dont look as nice as Erin's

that guy
    Jun 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ian0789 View Post
    I did get the 110 46T bash but as much as I did like them and how nice they are I ended up smashing it and bending it with in the 2nd ride so I got one from FSA off amazon its a bit larger then the BBG ones but does the job. I did still use the spacer from Erin to mount up the FSA Bash. The ones from BBG are more like a chain guide or light bash. If you are going over big logs or heavy single track you are going to smash the piss out of it.

The bike is great tho, still loving it very much. Although I have had to take some weeks off due to a leg injury I cant wait to get back on it. The 56 fits me perfect but I went with the size TT I ride for road bike. Everyone will be different some might find the TT longer then they would like with a Cross bike but I personally think the reach and TT is perfect for me. I have a bit above average legs and long arms so to me it works. The 54 would have had me to much crapped up and I would have had to put a 110 stem on it to probably loosen up the reach.

FSA Bash if you are still looking for them
    Amazon.com : FSA 46-48T Alloy Cross Chainring Guard (110mm BCD) : Bike Chainrings And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

These are more heavy duty and will hold up better for what I am using them for. They are similar to MTB bash's a bit thicker and made to take more impact. They just dont look as nice as Erin's
    Great info, thanks! I've been riding and racing with a BBG bashring on my mtb for a few years, so I think it'll do the trick for me on the outlaw, as well. If not, I'll definitely check out the fsa ring you posted.

Q: How many of Erin's spacers did you have to use? Just one?

Bike should be here Wednesday. I'm so stoked! I already ordered a carbon seatpost, stem, bottle cages, and headset spacers, as well as some tires and custom bar tape to make it my own right away. Good times ahead!

I'll be sure to post pictures once I'm all setup...

mtbr member
    Congrats you are going to love it its so much fun and people will definitely ask what you are doing so be ready lol. I just needed one spacer BUT I did have to get some longer chain ring bolts. I snagged some really long ones off ebay for a great deal and they worked perfectly.

5 Standard Stainless Steel Chain Ring Bolt Nut Set for Triple Crankset Touring | eBay

They are way cheaper then the other comps selling them. The BBG might work well for you I just really smashed mine up and was sad that it didnt last as long as I would have liked it to. Those bolts also worked with the FSA bash. Also when you get the BBG you are going to have to set the chain in the big ring and see if it rubs if it does just drop the chain to the small ring and take a flat head and LIGHTLY pry the bash out from the ring to bend it away so you can make some space for the chain. I had to do that for both of my bashes. Things get smashed around in shipping =P

I was thinking about getting some carbons odds and ends on mine but figured they take a hell of a beating using them. I stuck with the Ritchey Pro stem, bars and post for now that I had sitting around my parts box. I have an extra set of carbon post, stem and bars but don't know if I wanna sacrifice them lol

that guy
    Jun 2011
    awesome info, thank you!

Sad story, though: So, I built my new Outlaw last night, and then went out and (possibly) broke my ankle this afternoon on my mountain bike.

Either way, I'm stoked to have the Outlaw in my quiver. It felt great when I test rode it Friday night, so I'm looking forward to healing up quickly and getting out there on the Outlaw soon. Wish me luck!

mtbr member
    O man sorry to hear that. That blows! I know the feeling I have been off of mine for 4 weeks. I thought I pulled my IT band, hamstring, blew my knee out or something till I figured out I was having side effects from a med. Right leg was really bad but left one was semi useable lol. 1st few days back riding pain free, I was just sticking to road biking because the pain was so intense I couldnt even image riding on the single track. Just had my 1st pain free ride on my full suspension mtb on saturday and hoping to have a pain free ride this afternoon. Took exactly a week from when I stopped taking it to be just about back to normal but for 4 weeks I was in pain to do anything.

Well hopefully its not broken and you just rolled it. Ice, compression, NSAID and elevation!

BTW Did you get the Matte/Green combo? I love the way it looks. While the rims and hubs are nothing fancy I am so going to rock them. Love how they did this one. The Matte frame is really nice with the green lettering.

that guy
    Jun 2011

Damn, side effects from a med? That's incredibly lame, sorry to hear it! I'm headed for xrays today, so fingers crossed.

And yeah, I got the green/black version, and I'm gonna rock that funky green until the wheels are destroyed. I love it!

Bike is sitting lonely...

mtbr member
    Good luck hopefully nothing is broken! Tho with an ankle some times its better to break then fracture it. Bike looks great! You gotta get rid of those Conti's they are horrible, I love my PDX's they get me to the trails no problem and are massive grip monsters on the trail. The conti's showed really big wear in the rear after a few rides and they also lost traction on anything lose. I think they would be great for a Cross race on flats or lots of grass but for MTB trails they just didnt hack it.

Yeah I was taking Ambien for 6months and just started to notice my calfs and hamstrings started to become really tight I never linked it to anything other then training more. But once the pain came from tendonitis and I was getting massive knots all over my legs I started to do some searching. That stuff is crazy to start with I ended up buying random stuff off ebay or carbon parts from Aliexpress. Heck I bought two bikes on that stuff and never even knew till I woke up and seen my "thank you for your order" in my email. Would walk around the house and do random things. Even built a bike that I had no memory of. It went from frame sitting in my room to the next morning fully done on the workstand. Thank god it was a MTB and nothing carbon I probably would have crush something lol.

Yeah man I am so keeping the rims till they get trashed. They are not the bad in terms of weight and are really strong. I had to do a little minor adjustment on them after the 1st ride but things move around and loosen up. I put a bunch of beating on them and they still spin smooth and straight.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Update: severe sprain, down for at least 6-8 weeks, and then physical therapy. Son of a...!

I guess I'll be staring at this thing on the stand for a couple months. I do already have a pair of PDX's to throw on when I'm ready to try single track with it, but I'll probably leave the conti's on for my recovery pavement rides in late August.

In the meantime, maybe you can post some more shots of yours on single track to get me motivated with my PT! LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How's the toe overlap on this bike? I have a size 12/47 shoe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazey View Post
    How's the toe overlap on this bike? I have a size 12/47 shoe
    For me I dont have a problem the only time I ever had an issue was with my fat bike and having XL booties on in cold cold cold winter days. I have a size 10-10.5 depending on the comp and I never had anything clearance issues with the toes!

Paleh0rse you will be back before you know it! I am back to about 95% with my injury and I have been ripping it up on my Full Suspension 29er. I was in pain for a good 5-6 weeks and things just let up and now I am feeling really good! That time frame was a mind fawk and I thought I was never going to be back on the bike or at least not for a very long time. Yesterday I was able to ride for 2hrs pain free and as I type this no pain what so ever. Prior I'd be taking it easy on the road bike and 40min into the ride X amount of miles away from home I felt like someone was stabbing a screw driver into my knee's. So just take it easy and do what you can. I did alot of body weight exercises to keep me some what calm during my time off the bike.

About to transition over to my other toys that are not so friendly on the dampening in the next week now that I am feeling better. The only thing that sucks is my Cross bike is kind of just sitting around. During the summers the local trails get some really sandy parts to them and would make riding a cross bike on them no fun. So till the fall I probably wont be doing all that much riding. Still a lot of the trails are doable but since in the summer I tend to ride with a bunch of friends I try not to single out spots or do my own thing. On some of my solo rides I will be busting it out for sure