mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Max. Tire width for Motobecane Fantom Cross PRO Titanium?

I am looking into getting the Motobecane Fantom Cross PRO Titanium Cyclocross bike:

Titanium Cyclocross Bicycles | Road Bikes - Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium | Cross Bikes

I would like to use the bike to ride Kansas gravel with occasional ventures into rough gravel (read Dirty Kanza 200 territory). Therefore, I need to know the max. tire width that can be used with this frame. I will probably ride the bike stock, except that I will likely get another set of wheels with Stan's rims (e.g. ZTR 355) and tubeless tires for rougher conditions.
    Last edited by Hard Rain; 02-04-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    "I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it." - Prefontaine

mtbr member
    I would like to know also. One other thing to think about is I believe these use a 130mm rear hub so, you will need to get some of Stan's disc cross wheels. I would love to be able to fit a 1.8 29er tire on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I know these are popular frames. Is the draw, just to have a "titanium" frame?

If it is to race (or ride regularly off-road), I would recommend a good hydroformed aluminum frame; with known ride quality characteristics. My personal favorite is Cannondale's CX9 frames.

I had a Habanero titanium road bike (another Asian titanium knockoff), that was cool looking - but the ride quality was nothing special.

If your aversion is to aluminum, you might look for custom Reynolds 853 steel frame - which will have a much better ride (in my humble opinion).

YMMV - Cheers-

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Rain View Post
    I am looking into getting the Motobecane Fantom Cross PRO Titanium Cyclocross bike:

Titanium Cyclocross Bicycles | Road Bikes - Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium | Cross Bikes

I would like to use the bike to ride Kansas gravel with occasional ventures into rough gravel (read Dirty Kanza 200 territory). Therefore, I need to know the max. tire width that can be used with this frame. I will probably ride the bike stock, except that I will likely get another set of wheels with Stan's rims (e.g. ZTR 355) and tubeless tires for rougher conditions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have had this bike for almost 2 years now and love it. I bought it when it wasn't even on the main page of BD yet. The only changes I have made are Brooks saddle/Thomson post and debadgeing it. Love the bare titanium look and lack of maintenance. I am just now coming to the end of life on the first set of tires, and it has seen a pretty equal mix of offroad and on. I will be seeing what I can fit. I'm thinking mid 40s should work. I wish I could fit the Bonty 1.8s I've had sitting in the closet for years, but it is definitely not monstercross enough for that. The second wheel set is the way to go. I wish I could answer your question better, but at least I can endorse the bike as a whole. It has eaten up the all the light single track I throw at it.

As to Erik_A's comments, I have owned two Litespeeds before this bike. I would not describe myself as picky when it comes to the "feel" of a frame, but the bike seems to be on par with my previous Ti experiences. Build quality on the frame is good. I was able to ride the Aluminum version in my same size before purchase, and it is a fine bike as well, though not the great price it used to be at $999.