Thread: Macho Man?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Macho Man?

Hi

I'm considering buying an All City Macho Man for my short commute in London. I love the aesthetics of the frame and fork and have been encouraged by the many positive reviews of the All City range. I have however been put off a little by one particularly scathing review found on the road.cc site: Review: All City Macho Man | road.cc

The model I have been looking at is the Macho Man disc. Do people think that the full bike is as lacklustre as this review suggests?

I have also considered the Nature Boy and do have some experience with SS. Years ago I had a SS steel dirt jump bike that I road everywhere without trouble - although I was much fitter back then. For commuting and tame weekend rides, would I be better off with the Nature Boy? Or as this will be my only bike for a while, will the geared Macho man be more sensible - opening up the possibility of longer rides over more demanding terrain?

Finally, if you have suggestions for other bikes in a similar vain, by all means feel free to recommend.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have both. I bought the Nature boy complete. The Macho Man I built from a frame set.

When I received the Nature Boy I was pretty disappointed by its weight. I bought it to replace a beat up Motobecane Fantom Uno I had. The Motobecane only weighed 20 lbs, partly due to a carbon Bianchi form I stumbled on. One ride on the Nature boy and the weight differential seemed a distant memory. It sure rode like it was lighter. I just rode it on the local MTB trails this weekend and put in 20 miles. All of it fun! I've raced it in a couple of SSCX races and managed not to come in dead last. I love the simplicity.

The Macho man essentially replicates my twenty year old commuter/gravel/cross bike. Only, with discs. Since I built mine from the frame up, I can't in fairness comment about buying a complete bike except to say that a complete bike is ready to have fun on once assembled.

Which one is better for you depends a lot on how long your commute is and how much climbing you are likely to have to do, as well as, how steep those climbs are.

Personally, if I were to have only one bike, it would be geared. It just allows you to enjoy so many different types of rides. For almost twenty years, that cross bike of mine did pretty much everything. I've logged 10,000 miles on it over the last three years just commuting and ridden several organized gravel grinders. Prior to that it tore up many a single track and fire road in ca.

But again, it comes down to what your needs are.

I typically commute two days a week on my geared bike and one day on the Nature Boy.

mtbr member
    I got a Macho Man Disc last year and have been pretty happy with it. The stock components are a little better than what was described in the 3 year old article, but it is heavy. In particular the wheels are heavy. I bought the bike primarily for training so the weight was not a concern. If I was planning on racing it then I would have looked at something else like the Macho King, and probably spent more money. I find the bike very comfortable and super smooth at speed. No regrets here.

I did buy a second set of wheels (Grails, tubeless Nanos, lighter rotors, skewers and Ultegra cassette) and dropped just over 2 pounds on the wheels. That made the bike quite a bit more responsive.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    I got a Macho Man Disc last year and have been pretty happy with it. The stock components are a little better than what was described in the 3 year old article, but it is heavy. In particular the wheels are heavy. I bought the bike primarily for training so the weight was not a concern. If I was planning on racing it then I would have looked at something else like the Macho King, and probably spent more money. I find the bike very comfortable and super smooth at speed. No regrets here.

I did buy a second set of wheels (Grails, tubeless Nanos, lighter rotors, skewers and Ultegra cassette) and dropped just over 2 pounds on the wheels. That made the bike quite a bit more responsive.
    That is pretty much my experience with the Nature Boy; most of the excess weight was in the wheels. I opted not to spend money on it. However, that is primarily why I elected to buy just The Macho Man frame and fork and build it myself. Plus, I went with a SRAM 1x11 setup.

Comfy is a good way to describe it.

wanna ride bikes?
    I did buy a second set of wheels (Grails, tubeless Nanos,
    just want to double check as i have had trouble mounting the tubeless Nano 40c tires on my rims. you can get them on Grail rims without a major hassle? no soap and water? no ruined rim tape? no broken tire levers? no bloody, smashed fingers? no swearing? no throwing of near by objects?

just curious. I'm not saying it was hard, but it was damn near impossible. it was so tight i could never get the tire off trailside if i had to fix a flat and put a tube in. i really thought i was going to break the rim.

anyway, i ended up going with another tire so if i ever do get a flat i want to be able to fix it on the trail. someone later suggested using the non tubeless version as it's not a UST tire, not sure if it would be any better, but wish i knew that before i purchased it in the first place.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

Hardtail 29er- dead forever
    SS cyclocross
    all steel, all the time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    just want to double check as i have had trouble mounting the tubeless Nano 40c tires on my rims. you can get them on Grail rims without a major hassle? no soap and water? no ruined rim tape? no broken tire levers? no bloody, smashed fingers? no swearing? no throwing of near by objects?

just curious. I'm not saying it was hard, but it was damn near impossible. it was so tight i could never get the tire off trailside if i had to fix a flat and put a tube in. i really thought i was going to break the rim.

anyway, i ended up going with another tire so if i ever do get a flat i want to be able to fix it on the trail. someone later suggested using the non tubeless version as it's not a UST tire, not sure if it would be any better, but wish i knew that before i purchased it in the first place.
    Sorry my "tubeless Nanos" was a little misleading, I meant Nanos setup tubeless. I have the Race (non-tubeless) version of the Nano's. They setup easily and have held air fine.

wanna ride bikes?
    Sorry my "tubeless Nanos" was a little misleading, I meant Nanos setup tubeless. I have the Race (non-tubeless) version of the Nano's. They setup easily and have held air fine.
    but they go on and off the rim without trouble?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

Hardtail 29er- dead forever
    SS cyclocross
    all steel, all the time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    but they go on and off the rim without trouble?
    Yes, no issues at all.