mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Looking at a used and upgraded Trek Cronus CX Pro 2012 from Trek dealer - good deal?

Hi all,

Just after some advice on a bike I saw today, and am very tempted to buy in replacement of my current cx bike. It is a 2012 bike, sold in 2013, and now a part exchange to my local trek dealer, spec as follows:

Trek Cronus CX Pro 2012 (Trek Bicycle)

SRAM Force carbon crank 50/34 (upgraded 6 months go)
    SRAM Force FD (upgrade)
    SRAM X0 RD (upgrade)
    SRAM 11-34 cassette (with granny for the Swiss hills)
    SRAM Rival carbon shifters

Avid Ultimate brakes (new, installed by dealer)
    Bontrager Race tubeless ready wheels (new put on by dealer)
    Bontrager CX3 tyres (new)

The bike weights in at 8.1kg on the scale (exl pedals), so 17.8 pounds.

The dealer is asking 1800CHF, 2000USD - he is willing to throw in a 12 month warranty on parts, and honor the Trek Lifetime frame warranty himself.

I rode it, and it felt and looked like new... The only thing that puts me off is the brakes. Wondering what people's opinions are on this deal?

Any help appreciated!

Marc
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29er
    2014 Trek Superfly 6
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 5 (for sale)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

mtbr member
    I upgraded my cx bike to the shorty ultimates. They were definitely better than what was on it. But, I bought some TRP cx 8.4 mini v's to replace them, which I havent got around to installing yet. I sold my avid's on ebay, and made enough money to pick up a barely used set of the TRP's. So, I wouldnt worry too much about the brakes. They can be swapped out if need be.

mtbr member
    I ride a cronus cx ultimate which has those brakes I think they are very good. I have enough confidence in being able to stop that I can rip thru single track without worrying about not having enough brakes ...unlike other set ups I have tried. I have not been on a cross bike with discs as of yet. I have too much fun on this one to give it up yet
    biking makes it better

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks very much for the advice and info - really appreciate it as I've not ridden a bike without disks for far too long I wasn't sure what to expect! I checked out the price for the TRP 8.4's on wiggle too, and they are only about 100CHF, so they could be a cheap upgrade if I need more stopping power.

The spec is (I think) very nice indeed and the bike fits perfectly - seems ideal.

Decision made - picking it up this afternoon!
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29er
    2014 Trek Superfly 6

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hope nobody minds, but I figured that I'd revisit this thread and give an 'end of term' update as I'm selling the bike after 2 months.

In short, this is an amazing bike - super fast, fun and dependable. The upgrades made a huge difference over 'stock', with it handling and behaving superbly. If anyone ever gets a chance to ride one, or is thinking of buying one, really do give it a go!

While I didn't enter any CX races, I used the bike for commuting, some light singletrack, and as a 'quasi' road bike for road trips and rides along tow paths etc - it never skipped a beat. I changed out the brakes for TRP8.4CX items, which offered a big increase in stopping power over the already good Avid Shorty Ultimates, but this was the only change - it really is awesome.

If I hadn't have broken my wrist back in February (which is still causing me pain when I ride), I'd be riding it daily
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29er
    2014 Trek Superfly 6