Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    I do centuries with 30-60 miles of dirt on my cross check and with a 3 pound rack, fenders and 35c tires. It's a great bike and an aggressive enough geometry to log some good hard miles. Doing long road rides on aluminum frames is hell. Steel, carbon fiber or ti or the only platforms I find suitable for such riding.

TXTony
    I was kind of in the same boat...I have been looking for another frame (steel) to build up for a do a little of everything bike...I ride my race cross bike a lot and though I dig it...there are limits to it...tire size..no where to mount racks..I have been researching frames and reading threads and talked to the owner of a local bike shop we have here...I have another cross bike (aluminum) that I just never took to so I figured I would get a new frame and swap everything over to a steel frame that I can. I will sell that frame and try and recoup some coin on it if I can.

I wanted to keep it in a certain budget range so that played a factor into my choice as well...I ended up ordering a Surly Cross Check today...several reasons I went with the Surly...the bike shop can get them..the ability to run it with a variety of tire sizes...not sure if I will ever do single speed..but nice to have that option..not concerned about having the ability to run disc brakes...have not found the cantis on my other bikes to be a issue..so I will keep using cantis..

Not to concerned about the weight issue..not building it to race..just to ride and have some fun..will be using it for gravel roads mostly and some light cx stuff and whatever else happens to come along.

So I guess I will wait and see how the bike turns out and get a few rides on it and see if I made the right decision..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    I was kind of in the same boat...I have been looking for another frame (steel) to build up for a do a little of everything bike...I ride my race cross bike a lot and though I dig it...there are limits to it...tire size..no where to mount racks..I have been researching frames and reading threads and talked to the owner of a local bike shop we have here...I have another cross bike (aluminum) that I just never took to so I figured I would get a new frame and swap everything over to a steel frame that I can. I will sell that frame and try and recoup some coin on it if I can.

I wanted to keep it in a certain budget range so that played a factor into my choice as well...I ended up ordering a Surly Cross Check today...several reasons I went with the Surly...the bike shop can get them..the ability to run it with a variety of tire sizes...not sure if I will ever do single speed..but nice to have that option..not concerned about having the ability to run disc brakes...have not found the cantis on my other bikes to be a issue..so I will keep using cantis..

Not to concerned about the weight issue..not building it to race..just to ride and have some fun..will be using it for gravel roads mostly and some light cx stuff and whatever else happens to come along.

So I guess I will wait and see how the bike turns out and get a few rides on it and see if I made the right decision..
    a couple shops around here carry them so maybe ill have to demo one for a day, they keep getting more and more appealing to me, still think vive le roi and crusade are at the top of my list, just seem to be a little more aggressive/speed oriented bikes where the cross check seems a little cruiser oriented to me. i think demoing one will give me a good idea of what i do and dont want in a bike, being so new to road bikes i cant say im completely sure what i want.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsa101 View Post
    a couple shops around here carry them so maybe ill have to demo one for a day, they keep getting more and more appealing to me, still think vive le roi and crusade are at the top of my list, just seem to be a little more aggressive/speed oriented bikes where the cross check seems a little cruiser oriented to me. i think demoing one will give me a good idea of what i do and dont want in a bike, being so new to road bikes i cant say im completely sure what i want.
    Yep finding that right balance can be a little tricky sometimes..I know I can throw some slicks 700x23 on my Cannondale Cross bike and can rip off some speed on the road...putting the cross tires back on it and it is no speed demon on pavement..but will still scoot...I usually keep the cross tires on it so if I see a gravel road or path/trail and want to hit I can...I imagine if I slap some skinny road tires on the CC I should be able to scoot along at a good pace...I think a lot of it is how it is built up also...gear combos and such...I think any of those you are looking at will be great..I ride my Cannondale a lot on long rides as well and though it is a more race oriented bike geo wise it is still comfortable for the most part..but then again you run into those limitations on it...tire size...no racks..etc..but if I need to carry something I just throw on a back pack and go...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anyone have any advice for components? I'd like to keep the components, excluding the wheels, at around 1000$, could go a little more than that but not much, i dont want this to turn into a 4000 bike. im thinking it'll be around 700-1000 for the frame, around 1000 for components, and maybe 400-700 for the wheelset.

as far as gearing, this is something i havent really looked at at all, should i run a 1x10? 2x10? what should i look for in the cassette ratio's? any advice there would be great.

mtbr member
    Gearing is personal choice. I'm running a 1x10 with a 42t up front and a 11-32 cassette. Not bad for all around cruising but I found myself wanting relief on some dirt road climbs up in GA.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    bumping this again..

ive been thinking a bit about what exactly ill be riding, and i really dont see myself riding anything that would really require BIG tires, like i bet i could get away with a max of like 28-30c. and i doubt id need lots of mud clearance. since i wont be RACING cross, and i doubt id need the mud clearance as i really dont plan on and dont want to be riding through anything muddy, and if i did i could tough it out and walk or whatever.

so im just thinking i could maybe get away with a road bike that can fit a little bit bigger tires, if i could find a road bike thats disc compatable that would be awesome too.

i dont want to be held back by whatever "limitations" a cross bike would create on the road. would a cross bike with little 23c tires be pretty comparable to a road bike with the same tires?
    any thoughts?

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsa101 View Post
    bumping this again..

ive been thinking a bit about what exactly ill be riding, and i really dont see myself riding anything that would really require BIG tires, like i bet i could get away with a max of like 28-30c. and i doubt id need lots of mud clearance. since i wont be RACING cross, and i doubt id need the mud clearance as i really dont plan on and dont want to be riding through anything muddy, and if i did i could tough it out and walk or whatever.

so im just thinking i could maybe get away with a road bike that can fit a little bit bigger tires, if i could find a road bike thats disc compatable that would be awesome too.

i dont want to be held back by whatever "limitations" a cross bike would create on the road. would a cross bike with little 23c tires be pretty comparable to a road bike with the same tires?
    any thoughts?
    Several things come to mind...most road bikes you will be limited to 700x25 to 700 x28c(maybe)...that said I have run 700x23 on my Cannondale Super X and it rips...other than the more relaxed geometry I can pretty much cruise along like I do on my Tarmac..but on my Tarmac I am limited to what size of tire I run...where as on cross bike I can pretty much run what ever size I need to for the intended purpose...as far as disc road bikes I am sure they will be coming along but I will skip that whole debate...the brakes on my road bike are more than adequate...and I have pretty much come to the conclusion except for racing road which I no longer do...I will pretty much stick to my cross bikes for road duty...just slap on some slicks and go with it...if anything I would think the road bike would be more limiting...pretty much it is going to be used on the road..limited tire size choices..by the right cross bike and it will also be a capable roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    Several things come to mind...most road bikes you will be limited to 700x25 to 700 x28c(maybe)...that said I have run 700x23 on my Cannondale Super X and it rips...other than the more relaxed geometry I can pretty much cruise along like I do on my Tarmac..but on my Tarmac I am limited to what size of tire I run...where as on cross bike I can pretty much run what ever size I need to for the intended purpose...as far as disc road bikes I am sure they will be coming along but I will skip that whole debate...the brakes on my road bike are more than adequate...and I have pretty much come to the conclusion except for racing road which I no longer do...I will pretty much stick to my cross bikes for road duty...just slap on some slicks and go with it...if anything I would think the road bike would be more limiting...pretty much it is going to be used on the road..limited tire size choices..by the right cross bike and it will also be a capable roadie
    ok thanks for the input,

what im most worried about is the geo differences, higher BB longer chainstays, wheelbase, slacker, etc.. makes me wonder about how it would do when trying to really rip fast corners and stuff.. the higher bb, longer wheelbase and slacker HA arent really features im looking for, its more the tire clearance, stronger frame, and disc compatability that appeals to me.

mtbr member
    Going to be tough to find all that on a road bike, especially the disc brake part. Perhaps there are some disc brake cx frames with more roadish friendly geo out there?

The only thing I feel that holds me back on the road with my cx are the huge tires I currently have on there. I'm ordering some 700x28 Panaracer RIBMO tires this week to test that theory.
    Signature

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Going to be tough to find all that on a road bike, especially the disc brake part. Perhaps there are some disc brake cx frames with more roadish friendly geo out there?

The only thing I feel that holds me back on the road with my cx are the huge tires I currently have on there. I'm ordering some 700x28 Panaracer RIBMO tires this week to test that theory.
    Yep...pretty much once I swap tires to road tires I really do not find the cross bike holding me back anywhere...pretty much rocks along as good as my road bike.

mtbr member

Re: looking for a super versatile bike for road/varied surfaces, and long distances.

I've never felt limited on road rides when riding my cross bike...that's including faster road rides and riding in pacelines at >25mph.

That said, check out the Salsa Colossal and the Salsa Warbird for your disc brake road bike desires.

mtbr member
    The Warbird might actually be what you're looking for...same BB drop as the Colossal so it's got more road bike-like geometry.

Clearance for 38mm tires.

Disc brake.

It's designed as a gravel road racer more than a Cx bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    This Specialized Secteur road bike is alumium, but it's got disc brakes and can handle larger tires: Specialized Bicycle Components

Here's a steel Specialized Tricross (their non-race cross bike): Specialized Bicycle Components

I wouldn't go for a 1x if you want to ride on and off road. When I ride my cross bike in the woods, I'm always in my 36; on the road, I'm often in my 46.

If you don't need rack mounts, I wouldn't discount a race-inspired cross bike before demo-ing one. You might find that you really like it, or you might find that you don't.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Colossal and Warbird don't have rack or fender mounts, I recall the OP needing that. All of Soma's road frames can take 28mm rubber and they're quality steel. they now have a dedicated disc cross model, also the Smoothie ES which is they're relaxed road bike, plus a touring model:

http://www.somafab.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    can someone who understands road/cross bike geometry better than i do, take a look at the following bikes geo and tell me how it should handle, what ride characteristics it should have, and which are more road friendly and which are more cross friendly. that would be extremely helpful, i feel like ive got a decent understanding, but still learning..

http://www.traitorcycles.com/2013/Bikes_Crusade.cfm?Token={ts_2013-07-05_17:51:39}-5175b8aab9afcb6a-59227DC8-D620-7604-F444F2FB087CD6DC

Vive Le Roi - Civilian - Civilian

Salsa Cycles | Bikes | Warbird 2

All-City Cycles Macho Man Disc

Milwaukee CX Frame Builder - OX Platinum - Disc - In Stock! : Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Ben's Cycle

Milwaukee ROAD Bike/Frame Builder - OX Platinum Tubeset : Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Ben's Cycle

TXTony
    Well as some of them are frame only there other things to consider like stem length, handlebar style and sizes, cranks(length), tires and wheels.. so it kind of boils down to how you end up building a frame up..Of the ones you listed I like the Salsa..but you are limited to only running up to a 700x38 size tire..so you could not go any larger than that on..it seems like it would be a solid bike to pull some road duty on as well with skinnier tires..the geo seems spot on for a nice comfortable ride compared to a road bike..

Most cross bikes are going to have the higher BB area..they will have the longer chain stays, wheelbases can depend on that a what fork you run and how much rake is in it..as someone mentioned a Road Bike like the Secteur is kind of a good compromise between the two..but no place to mount racks..I like the Salsa has it seems to tick a lot of the boxes you want.

I just finished building my Cross Check and built it more like a race bike instead of say a touring bike..the fork has very little rake in it so the wheel base is pretty short..drop bars..2x10 drive train..handles great..accelerates great..I thought it would feel twitchy but it does not..with some 700x25 slicks it scoots...nothing like my road bike because my road bike is a race bike and is meant for speed...really ant do anything else with it..

The plus is I still have the Surly Fork I can always put back on the bike...change some things like the stem..handle bars and have a totally different bike to use depending on my needs...so maybe you should build one up the way you want it and get a frame that allows you to modify things and change stuff as your needs change..

But if I was going to buy a bike from the list you have up there and based on what you wanted and looking for in a bike I would go with the Salsa..it seems perfect to double as a cross/road bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

looking for a super versatile bike for road/varied surfaces, and long distances.

fwiw, I have 700x38 Vittoria Randonneur Hypers on my Warbird and there is still plenty of room front & back. I would say at least 42s are doable unless you're riding in serious glop

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've been riding a Ridley X-Fire for nearly a year. This has become my only bike (Mtn, Road, Cross, local Crits) the fork will take some 2" tires Monstercross style & 42's on the back. The 46 chainring was swapped to a 48 and I'm running a 11-27 cassette. At 19lbs running discs brakes not bad for $2700. i feel comfortable on just about everything the 1 1/2" fork has taken a ton of abuse, the bottom bracket is pretty high which is a bonus for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2