Rider and Wrench

Looking into gravel bikes

Thinking about purchasing a gravel bike, did a sort of gravel/cross build on an older El Mariachi but just sold my full squish and plan to put that back into action as a mountain bike- after a 40 mile ride trying to keep up with some friends on cross/gravel bikes It was apparent it was not quite as effective as I would have liked anyway.

I am looking at two bikes I can get from my local shop - within about $200 of each other

Jamis Renegade Expat

Breezer Inversion pro

Not quite an apples to apples comparison since the Breezer retails for $600 more... the Breezer has a better quality steel frame and better components so on paper it seems like a no brainer... but I canít deny likening the feel of the Renegade- I have little road/drop bar experience so I am not sure how much of it was a result of the slightly larger tires that the Jamis had.

I plan to use it for gravel, double track and hopefully a bit of single track to tie together some loops close to home.

Any feedback on the above bikes or general tips from your experience are appreciated.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

wanna ride bikes?
    Hard to say which is right for you?

Jamis I like: Reynolds double butted tubing, Size specific geo and tubing, threaded BB, bigger tires than Breezer, WTB i23 rims, good brakes.

Jamis don't like: good enough drivetrain.

Breezer I like: 105 drivetrain, hy/rd brakes are supposed to be slightly better,

Breezer don't like: Unknown steel tubing (single butted), PF BB, cheap Alex rims, stupid skinny tires for a gravel bike, website gives almost no information about it??

Neither says how big of a tire you can clear, but I didn't look too hard.

Jamis gets my vote hands down. They spent the time and money where it counts most to me, and it's cheaper. The Breezer put a fancy drivetrain on what I suspect is an inferior product.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Rider and Wrench
    Thanks onespeed - Hard to disagree with the build-the Breezer has it hands down- I hadnít thought about the steel on the Breezer being a downside, they talk it up pretty good though from the little bit of info out there it is tough to say-mostly just marketing, no real world stuff, one definitely would have to put some trust in the Breezer name...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I know the big "S" is sorta taboo with a lot of folks but I have a Sequoia Elite and love it. 105 brakes and drive train, 2x up front for off road & steeps, 700 x 42 tires with the ability to run 650b wheel set if you desire. It's filled my needs completely.

I use it on urban rides, gravel grinding and a lot of my less technical MTB trails, it's a lot of fun and fairly affordable for what you get..2,000.00.

wanna ride bikes?
    They're not the only ones who put they're name on a generic tube set. Many other companies do the same thing, but there's no way to know the quality of the tubing. Most likely it's cheap. The Reynolds 520 double butted tubing on the Jamis is a known quantity.

The only thing that's slightly lack luster on the Jamis is the 10 speed drivetrain. It will work just fine, has the same range, but it's not fancy. It's easily upgraded down the road should you decide you want something nicer.

If it were my money and they cost the same, I'd buy the Jamis. The drawbacks of the Breezer far outweigh the slightly nicer drivetrain IMO. Aside from the frame, the wheels and tires are a bit disappointing.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
    I know the big "S" is sorta taboo with a lot of folks but I have a Sequoia Elite and love it. 105 brakes and drive train, 2x up front for off road & steeps, 700 x 42 tires with the ability to run 650b wheel set if you desire. It's filled my needs completely.

I have a Sequoia as well. I can fit 29x1.8" Storm Controls on a set of Roval wheels for the mud. I have mine set up 42t/11-42t with a set of Industry9 Trail 245 wheels. Big fan of the bike, a lot of fun, and lightweight for a steel bike.
    just ride.