mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Looking for Input on 1st Cross Bike Build

Hey there. So I've got a couple of frames hanging around in the garage and I really want a cross bike. Which would make a better candidate? I've been going back and forth on this, but I don't really have much experience with cross bikes so some suggestions would be most welcome. Here's what I've got:

1. Bike Nashbar Aluminum touring frame. Nashbar Double-butted Aluminum Touring Frame - Bike Frames
    Got this to put together a commuter/ touring bike. I could see it becoming a commuting/ cross play bike. I've got LOTS of great trails in biking distance from my house. It's got canti bosses and was cheap.

2. Old school Gary Fisher Wahoo frame. Steel. Looks cool. Kinda heavy. This was my first mountain bike ever and I would kind of like to do something with it. I think it was originally a 7 speed but I forget. It looks like this one only mine is just the frame:
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    It also has canti bosses.

I don't have a good idea on what kind of advantages or disadvantages there would be to using one frame over the other. I'm thinking a lot about the geometry... Maybe the Fisher would have higher BB clearance which might be a good thing? The touring frame has a shorter Top Tube and is a slightly smaller frame overall. Will 700c wheels work on the Fisher? Fork options?

For parts I would like to use brifters on drop bars. I'd like to use 700c wheels and 9 or 10 speed. Probably cantilever brakes. I might need to work at it a little to make the Fisher 9 or 10 speed. Also, I've read that you need travel agents for the brifters to work with canti brakes?

What else? Anything I'm overlooking? Any suggestions or input would be greatly welcomed!

Also, sorry about the long, rambling, igorant post. I promise it won't be my last.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Cantilevers work fine with road levers: no need for travel agents.

700c wheels would probably fit on the Fisher but the brakes would not line up with the rims without some adapters so this is probably not a good way to go.

The Nashbar frame would be good. The head tube might be a touch slack but the square or nearly square tt/st lengths are pretty traditional for 'cross racing.

mtbr member
    Aluminum + Mail order = scary!

Some cheaper steel options.
    Quiver Fyxation Shop Online for Chromoly Bicycle Frames for Fixed Gear Riders, Commuters, Road Cyclists and Cyclocross tagged "quiver" | Fyxation
    Pake C'Mute PAKE | Product Detail > C'Mute Frame
    And of course All-City and Surly are great options.

Also, a 26" cross bike would be just as fun I think. Don't fret on changing rim sizes and just ride the Fisher if that's the way you're going.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FatCloud View Post
    Aluminum + Mail order = scary!
    Really? How come?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Cantilevers work fine with road levers: no need for travel agents.
    I was mistaken then. Ok good to know. Travel agents are for STI levers and V brakes then (I assume)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I raced the Nashbar touring frame this year. It isn't the fastest handling, but it works fine. If going drop bar that is the way i would go. Also i have about 12-13000 miles on that frame, with no I indication that anything is wrong. Probably 500 of those miles are mountain bike trails, cross courses, or the like.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    I raced the Nashbar touring frame this year. It isn't the fastest handling, but it works fine. If going drop bar that is the way i would go. Also i have about 12-13000 miles on that frame, with no I indication that anything is wrong. Probably 500 of those miles are mountain bike trails, cross courses, or the like.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk
    Sweet! That's a review I'm happy to hear. I am going to go with the touring frame and definitely am using drop bars. Any tips on component choices or setup from someone who's familiar with the frame? Did you use a nashbar fork? I was thinking about the Nashbar carbon cyclocross fork. The matching CrMo fork is also another I was considering. What about wheelset? Do most wheelsets which are designed for road use stand up to the demands of varied terrain acceptably?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Looking for Input on 1st Cross Bike Build

Back when i bought my frame, it came with an aluminum fork, so no real help there. I personally have been eying up Carver's cx forks for some weight savings at a budget price point, though i have not read much about them.

As far as wheels go, i would advocate learning to build your own. Then, you can build some fairly nice ones for under $200. I would use a decent Shimano hub (you can use mountain or road, which helps if you Ste on a budget) and velocity a23 rims if going with clinchers.

A lot of parts are a decision based on budget. Remember that saving weight on rotating mass (wheels, tires) saves more energy than saving weight elsewhere, so skimp on other parts of the bike.

Good luck, and happy building!

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Update to say that I no longer am thrilled by this frame. I just went on my first ride after the winter on this frame. About half way through, I noticed that the bike was feeling a bit flexy, but chalked it up to the loose headset that was in need of replacement. I got home and started to hang it up, when I noticed that there is a large crack most of the way through the downtube a few inches from the headtube. I will post up pics in a bit.

Edit: here is a pic of the damage. It doesn't quite wrap all the way around. I assume it broke in a small place, then the tear continued around the tube.

Name:  CAM00083.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  46.5 KB
    Last edited by fotooutdoors; 03-10-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: add pic

mtbr member
    I second the fyxation quiver. I just built one up with velocity A23's on surly hubs with Vee Ruber V12 29x1.75 tires. Its a really nice frame with a ton of options for the money. pictures to follow soon in the "i beg you more monstercross" thread.