mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Looking for a cross bike....I think

I've got some old part lying around and will be needing a new bike soon. I'm selling my entry level aluminum framed road bike to a buddy and would like to replace it with something carbon. The reason I think I want to build a CX bike is because I've got a Thompson Elite seatpost in 30.9mm and a set of Avid BB7 Mountain disc brakes. Is there a cross bike out there that would accept these components?

Or is there a complete cross bike that could be used primarily for road riding with a small amount of gravel trail or Wisconsin single track thrown in on occassion? Any and all suggestions are welcome. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, weight is 200lbs. Thanks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Foundry is pretty disc-oriented. Specialized has some carbon/disc framesets and completes. Plenty of other companies do too. Google it.

'Cross bikes are basically road bikes with clearance for fat tires. Whether you want to put it in road trim or 'cross trim is up to you. For me, there's a bit of a difference in cockpit setup and, of course, tire selection, but that basically covers it. Some people need more top-end gearing on the road, but I can't spin out a 46/11, so not me. You could look for a middle ground in terms of setup if you wanted to too.

Mountain bike disc brakes have a different amount of cable pull than road bike brakes. You can either get long-pull brake levers and figure out something else with your shifters, do a Travel Agent, try to find a sweet spot in tuning your discs to work with road levers, probably pretty touchy, or get road brakes. One of my bikes has BB7 roads, and that works nicely.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx