Bikes!

Looking for a cool cross bike for some commuting schralp. :)

Hi

im looking for a bit of help please.

I'm a total newb in regards to CX bikes but what I do know is I would rather use a CX bike rather than a full blown road bike as my commute consists of some nice bits of single track and off road strung together with road sections. I have been riding MTB's for years and have never really considered a road bike or should I say, anything other than a mtb but I am having to commute for a few months and the places I have to ride through aren't really places for me to be on my Yeti SB95c.

Im looking for a good value cross bike that will still put a smile on my face. So far I've considered a Kona Jake the Snake, Trek CrossRip Elite and an Orange RX9 but rather than read the marketing hype I'd much prefer to be swayed by real world views.

If you could throw some more ideas at me I'd appreciate it please.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi

I bought a new Kona JTS in 2011 and have loved every second of owning it. It has been brilliant on all types of surfaces and the only upgrade needed was some decent brakes (TRP CX9s). The wheels have stood up to a lot of abuse on and off road. I only recently found the benefits of reducing tyre pressure - even with Sammy Slick tyres the bike can handle gravel and every other surface.

Owned it for two years, done countless miles and i still stand in the garage staring at it! I have removed the seat and frame bags now as i prefer to use a Camelbak rucksack.

Looking for a cool cross bike for some commuting schralp. :)-image.jpg

I love exploring on this bike, linking up different off road sections. But I have also done 100 mile rides with ease; the only mistake i made was to buy some road tyres thinking it would make the bike a lot quicker. I found they ruined the bike (i like the comfort afforded by the larger tyres) and they were no quicker. I love the flexibility of this bike and would recommend a Kona!

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flogger View Post
    Hi

I bought a new Kona JTS in 2011 and have loved every second of owning it. It has been brilliant on all types of surfaces and the only upgrade needed was some decent brakes (TRP CX9s). The wheels have stood up to a lot of abuse on and off road. I only recently found the benefits of reducing tyre pressure - even with Sammy Slick tyres the bike can handle gravel and every other surface.

Owned it for two years, done countless miles and i still stand in the garage staring at it! I have removed the seat and frame bags now as i prefer to use a Camelbak rucksack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1279 
Size:	313.1 KB 
ID:	817952
    Lovely bike and thank you for your input, I'd love to think I could fall for a cx bike like I have my Mtb, funny you should mention standing and staring at it in the garage as that's exactly where I've been stood staring at my Yeti for the past 10 mins or so! Lol

Seems like the JTS is a well loved bike, I was previously considering an Explosif or a Honzo but I feel my commute will be nicer on a CX.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    ^ha ha. I'm sure a CX bike would be great given the mixed commute; i find road sections are fine because the bike is quick everywhere. I saw a Whyte Charing Cross in a shop last week and it looked awesome, i nearly ended up with two CX bikes!

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flogger View Post
    ^ha ha. I'm sure a CX bike would be great given the mixed commute; i find road sections are fine because the bike is quick everywhere. I saw a Whyte Charing Cross in a shop last week and it looked awesome, i nearly ended up with two CX bikes!
    Yes, I looked at the whyte a while back too, looked nice!

Bicycle Addict

$$$

What's your budget?
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    What's your budget?
    Not looking for anything too flash so about 1000/$1500...

Bicycle Addict
    Check out the All-City line. They have bikes in that range.

Specialized has the Tricross.

Salsa Vaya

I just recently shopped for Cross bike so all these models are still fresh in my mind.
    Bearded Women Racing

crap magnet

All City

I've only had one cx bike, my All City Nature Boy, but it's very solid and man, it sure is fun to ride. It also doubles as my commuter. $950. Check out the Macho Man if you prefer gears.

Looking for a cool cross bike for some commuting schralp. :)-f015ab7a-4ec6-464c-abdc-8a5de02b1836-60-00000021500fe4c0_zpsbc944df3.jpg
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Im looking for a good value cross bike that will still put a smile on my face.
    Cross Check!!!
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

Bikes!
    Thanks guys all this is helpful stuff!

Do any of you have experience of the Trek Cross Rip?

mtbr member

Re: Looking for a cool cross bike for some commuting schralp. :)

Ive been happy with a pre-disc Jamis Nova Race. Only aluminum bike I've had, love the stiffness for racing and passing trucks. I'd be lying if I said I didnt pine for steel sometimes at the end of longer rides though. If starting over today I'd build up a cross check with brifters instead of the bar ends that come on the complete. If you can find an oldish lemond poprad / gary fisher presidio that was a great frame too.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think you'll find all CX bikes to be a joy to ride. I come from road bike back ground, yet my first ride on Bianchi Volpe brought a big smile on my face. I now own on, but am looking to get a Bianchi Vigorelli. If you can get 28mm tyres on the Vigorelli, it would make perfect commuting + all purpose bike.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I picked up a Specialized TriCross to replace a full suspension mtb that I just wasn't riding enough. Absolutely love the ride on this, although it is a bit stiff, but that has to due with me having the fs mtb completely dialed in to ride like a marshmallow.

Bikes!
    I've been commuting quite a bit this week and although my Yeti is an awesome all rounder I think I am going to have to make the move to an out and out commuter bike! I'm doing 95% cycle paths and some road so it might make sense and slash my times...

Bikes!
    Well I've only gone and ordered myself a Trek Crossrip Elite on a closeout price, it should be at my LBS tomorrow:

Privacy information ? Trek Bicycle

Let's hope it's as fun as mountain bikes, thanks for your help guys!

mtbr member
    The Crossrip is a great bike for commuting. We have had several in our shop and I have built a few, they seem to be a pretty solid bike. I would recommend removing the crosstop levers and upgrading cables out of the box. I feel like the crosstop levers are not really a huge advantage and reduce braking performance with road levers and disc brakes. It also reduces cockpit clutter and simplifies things.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Well I've only gone and ordered myself a Trek Crossrip Elite on a closeout price, it should be at my LBS tomorrow:

Privacy information ? Trek Bicycle

Let's hope it's as fun as mountain bikes, thanks for your help guys!
    Congratulations on your new love. I'm certain that you'll enjoy your new steed, particularly with the "closeout deal.

Bikes!
    Thanks guys!

Dave I'm a complete road type bike noob so I'll give the brakes a go until I get used to them, then probably bin them.

Bikes!

Well here she is!

As you can see she blends in quite nicely around these parts!

2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

Bicycle Addict
    That's actually really nice. Is the fork aluminium?
    Bearded Women Racing

Bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    That's actually really nice. Is the fork aluminium?
    Thank you, it's taking some getting used to although I've put 23 miles on it today.

It's a carbon fork.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

Bro Mountainbiker
    I commute like a boss on my Dirty Disco.

Its fun having a high performance commuter. Having good brakes is probably smart too if you commute in traffic.

Disc brakes are more of an advantage to commuting over CX racing. As a matter of fact I had to lock up my brakes yesterday to avoid an asshat cutting me off with a left hook. Definitely glad I had good brakes.

When racing CX I could care less about having discs...
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens