Bro Mountainbiker

Looking for a carbon cyclocross fork that will fit at least a 2.0 29er tire.

Whats out there?

Whiskey #9 looks fairly good for monstercross, but I dont know the tire clearance.

3T Luteus looks like it could take a fairly large tire...

Anything else?

Id like to keep the length near 400mm a-c. Oh yeah, id prefer it to be tough enough for a lil shreddin.

Stoked to hear my options!

New CX bike in the works... Pictures to come
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just got the Whiskey #9. Definitely very happy with it so far. Plus the 15mm thru axle is noticably stiffer then the stock qr fork.

I have 34c tires on roval mountain rims on there, so they're sitting a little wider. There's plenty of room to go a good bit bigger. I would say it should fit into the mid 40's without a problem. Not sure on anything bigger than that. I'll have to take a wheel from my mtb and see if it fits in there and report back.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Whats out there?

Whiskey #9 looks fairly good for monstercross, but I dont know the tire clearance.

Anything else?

Id like to keep the length near 400mm a-c. Oh yeah, id prefer it to be tough enough for a lil shreddin.

Stoked to hear my options!

New CX bike in the works... Pictures to come
    With a 400mm a-c, not going to happen.
    The old 26" steel unicrown forks needed at least a 415mm a-c to barely clear a 29x2.1.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

:
    The 3T Luteus fork has massive clearance for a regular cross fork. I have the disc version of it on my Felt F1X, and I have stuffed on a 1.9 Specialized S-Works Renegade MTB tire on a Stan's Race Gold rim with no problems. So....much...fun... The only problem I ran into though, was that the added volume of the tire gave me severe toe overlap. With a normal cross tire on the front, i don't get any. Not too big of a deal since I wasn't really racing with this tire on the front and going around slow 180 cross course type turns and what not, but it's still something to be aware of.

(unfortunatley, the F1X has barely any clearance i the rear, so I can't put anything wider than a 35c on the rear).

But with a Luteus on the front, you can go pretty big.

EDIT: Here's a photo of my Felt with the 1.9 Renegade crammed into the Luteus. I didn't get any rub, even with the lightweight, flexy Race Gold rimsLooking for a carbon cyclocross fork that will fit at least a 2.0 29er tire.-savage-sprints.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a Trigon MTB fork on my CX bike. I think A-C is 405mm. Fits a 29'er tire fine. Straight steerer too so you can use it on old bikes.

I REALLY REALLY wish Enve (or anyone else) would make a straight carbon steerer disc fork. If Niner can do it on a MTB fork at 550g then a CX fork shouldn't be a problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Also, I sanded the whole fork down to remove the ugly Trigon graphics. The fork is now a solid matte black after I re-cleared it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I race with a guy who has one of those Chinese carbon 29er mtb's, he has 2 forks for it, a rigid carbon fork for cx and a Fox of some sort for mtb (we've been in the same groups for cx and xc). He's runs it flat bar, this season he has skinny 'proper' cx tires on it with narrower rims I think, last season I think he was running 2.2 or 2.4 racing ralphs on mtb wheels.
    For a fat tire cx bike, one of those Chinese carbon rigid 29ers would work great I would think. I wonder if you can buy just the fork?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    The 3T Luteus fork has massive clearance for a regular cross fork. I have the disc version of it on my Felt F1X, and I have stuffed on a 1.9 Specialized S-Works Renegade MTB tire on a Stan's Race Gold rim with no problems. So....much...fun... The only problem I ran into though, was that the added volume of the tire gave me severe toe overlap. With a normal cross tire on the front, i don't get any. Not too big of a deal since I wasn't really racing with this tire on the front and going around slow 180 cross course type turns and what not, but it's still something to be aware of.

(unfortunatley, the F1X has barely any clearance i the rear, so I can't put anything wider than a 35c on the rear).

But with a Luteus on the front, you can go pretty big.

EDIT: Here's a photo of my Felt with the 1.9 Renegade crammed into the Luteus. I didn't get any rub, even with the lightweight, flexy Race Gold rimsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	savage sprints.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	835095
    AWESOME. Thanks for the heads up. Did you ever measure that 1.9 Renegade with calipers?? You know how manufacturers are with their tire labels...

Also, with that renegade installed, how much clearance did you have? Any mud room?
    Shiggy? You ever measured this bad boy?

The 3t Luteus looks like a sweet option. But very pricy... But if its the only one on the market...

Thanks for everyones responses!

Sheepo

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    AWESOME. Thanks for the heads up. Did you ever measure that 1.9 Renegade with calipers?? You know how manufacturers are with their tire labels...

Also, with that renegade installed, how much clearance did you have? Any mud room?
    Shiggy? You ever measured this bad boy?

The 3t Luteus looks like a sweet option. But very pricy... But if its the only one on the market...

Thanks for everyones responses!

Sheepo
    Can't say that i ever measured the tire...that's not something that i usually sweat about. But can tell you that there wasn't much room for mud. Maybe .5cm, maybe less even if i recall correctly (i have a normal Cx tire on there now)

i wasn't worried about mud clearance because i figured if it's muddy, then the Renegade isn't something I'd want to be on anyway. It's just a fast rolling dry conditions mTB race tire.....it's micro knobs probably had something to do with it being able to fit. I.e. Something with tall side
    knobs, even if in the same size, might not work.

mtbr member
    Doesn't the Salsa Warbird have an ENVE CF fork that can clear 1.5-nearly 2"? My Salsa Colossal has the smaller version and I really like it.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

Bro Mountainbiker

Looking for a carbon cyclocross fork that will fit at least a 2.0 29er tire.

I'm sure that enve rides great. Would be interested to know the clearance.