mtbr member
    Mar 2014

LIVE FROM THE MIDDLE EAST. Need help with Cyclocross bike

I've been on this forum quite a bit and going over the Cyclocross topics. I am wanting to get one but as my subject states I am in the middle east and we have one shop with no cyclocross bikes. I've thought about ordering one online and using EBay UK to ship here. I have road bike back in the states and it is 50CM I didn't get sized properly I just happened upon it for cheap. I've been watching some cyclocross videos and it looks like a lot of fun I talked to the bike shop and there is an event coming up in October. I have done some researching on sizing my self up and I've came to the conclusion most riders opt for a shorter bike. I'm hoping to one thru a classified ad( A lot of peeps don't want to ship overseas), on-line retailer, possible LBS(Kona, Orbea and sometimes Trek are the brands they carry) or just have the bike shop order me a Kona Jake. $1200 is about what I'd like to spend. I'll list my measurement. I am 69" tall weight is 205-210/Inseam is 29" to the sole of my foot/Arms are 19" to my wrist. I am new to this so any help that can be offered is very appreciated before I make a large purchase kind of blindly.

mtbr member
    I don't have the time to address your sizing questions, but have you thought about contacting a manufacturer about your situation? The folks at Kona and Surly are super rad, and I'm sure more than willing to help you out; with shipping, ordering, etc. Also, they would have good insight on sizing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    No I haven't that is an awesome idea tho.

mtbr member
    That's a great Bosstones album!

You're right, CX is a blast! Its a damn hard workout too. Just imagine going full out for 30-60 minutes. It bought I was in decent shape till right after my first practice lap. I've only done 1race but aooming forward to the 14 season. start.

Sizing depends on the bike, some are sized or measured differently. I was measured at a 54 cm Trek road bike after riding both 52 & 56. My Ridley is 54, but in retrospect its a little big. They have a more classic geo with a high bottom bracket and tend to run big. If I were to buy other I would go 52 or even 50.

Its still comfy enough tho, I've ridden 80 miles in one shot and wasnt uncomfortable.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    That's a great Bosstones album!

You're right, CX is a blast! Its a damn hard workout too. Just imagine going full out for 30-60 minutes. It bought I was in decent shape till right after my first practice lap. I've only done 1race but aooming forward to the 14 season. start.

Sizing depends on the bike, some are sized or measured differently. I was measured at a 54 cm Trek road bike after riding both 52 & 56. My Ridley is 54, but in retrospect its a little big. They have a more classic geo with a high bottom bracket and tend to run big. If I were to buy other I would go 52 or even 50.

Its still comfy enough tho, I've ridden 80 miles in one shot and wasnt uncomfortable.
    I am a big Bosstones fan, but don't care for live albums much at all. I didn't think any one would get it-but hey I am glad someone did. What'd you think of the new album? As for CX I don't have a bike yet, but I am making a hard lean towards the Kona Jake line I can order one from my local shop here in the middle east and if I need work done they can do it for me. My Raleigh is a 50 and IMO comfy although my roadie experience in very, very minimal. I did, however, find a Jamis Nova at an awesome price online I just don't know if the online retailer will ship out here. What is your size if you don't mind?

mtbr member
    Havent heard the new one yet. I Havent been staying current with music lately, mainly just listening to the old stuff.

The Jake line looks pretty cool, I saw a few at a LBS recently. That's cool if they can ship one in for you.

I'm 5'9 with a 31.5" inseam. Stand over height is very close on my 54cm Ridley, and I only have about 4" of seat post showing.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Havent heard the new one yet. I Havent been staying current with music lately, mainly just listening to the old stuff.

The Jake line looks pretty cool, I saw a few at a LBS recently. That's cool if they can ship one in for you.

I'm 5'9 with a 31.5" inseam. Stand over height is very close on my 54cm Ridley, and I only have about 4" of seat post showing.
    I do look for some new stuff every know and then. The only thing I don't like about the Jake is all disc, not canti brakes. I haven't participated in a race yet, but judging from what I see stopping power isn't ideal. Size was I'm leaning towards whatever is closet to 50cm. My legs just aren't that long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well the bike shop is a bust. Apparently they haven't paid their Kona bill and it's $15K so they can't order anything for 6 weeks. I'm thinking of contacting the distributer to see if they can hook me up.