mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Limitations of Mtb in CX

I did my first CX weekend in as long as I can remember this past weekend. I raced 4's and did well. 5th on Saturday, and was in 2nd on Sunday until a flat in the final lap (totally forgot to run it in).

That said, I raced on my Mtb. I definitely felt that on the straightaways I was a bit slower than the others; but, with so many twisty turny sections, and better gearing to ride the run-up, overall I don't think it was a huge limitation.

At what point, or in what conditions of CX are you truly limited by a mtb rather than cxb? Anyone else race cx on the mtb?

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnybutts View Post
    I did my first CX weekend in as long as I can remember this past weekend. I raced 4's and did well. 5th on Saturday, and was in 2nd on Sunday until a flat in the final lap (totally forgot to run it in).

That said, I raced on my Mtb. I definitely felt that on the straightaways I was a bit slower than the others; but, with so many twisty turny sections, and better gearing to ride the run-up, overall I don't think it was a huge limitation.

At what point, or in what conditions of CX are you truly limited by a mtb rather than cxb? Anyone else race cx on the mtb?
    i think with tight/twisty courses with lots of 180 degree turns you'd be limited with your acceleration out of turns...unless you're a beast rider already, but you'll be working harder than the other guys. i think in the 4s you can get away with it and have good success if you're a strong rider.

other courses that feature long runs where you have to portage your bike could limit you. for one, if you're riding a FS, there's no easy way to shoulder it...plus mtbs are just heavier.

the guys i've seen do well on mtbs in the faster categories are usually riding HTs with skinnier tires.

good job on the results.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i think with tight/twisty courses with lots of 180 degree turns you'd be limited with your acceleration out of turns...unless you're a beast rider already, but you'll be working harder than the other guys. i think in the 4s you can get away with it and have good success if you're a strong rider.

the guys i've seen do well on mtbs in the faster categories are usually riding HTs with skinnier tires.
    My thoughts on the turns (and off-camber turns) was with the mtb tires you carry a lot more speed through them than the cx bikes = work less. Is this wrong? I was DEFINITELY carrying more speed than the other 4s, but could just be a factor of whos racing rather than the mechanics - I'm no expert and haven't been doing off road very long.

And yes. hardtail - cannondale flash 29 carbon 3. I just got it last friday so I had to go do somethign with it!
    Last edited by johnybutts; 12-07-2012 at 10:00 AM.

mtbr member
    The disadvantages of an MTB are weight, aerodynamics, and non-optimal shouldering. My Ridley list at 18.6 pounds, which is 6 pounds lighter than my MTB. The numerous speed changes in cross really makes extra weight a liability.

I'm one of those people who rides a lot in the drops, so I would definitely miss it if I went MTB.

The only comparison that matters is "yourself" vs. "yourself minus 6 pounds".
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/