Stokeless Asshat

Lets talk aggressive trail tires.

Or I should say let's have you talk about it.

38-42 max. Colorado Front Range. Dry, rocky, loose over hard pack. Pavement performance is not that important. Tubless is also not that important for my needs but I wouldn't turn it down.

I have extensive time on the old Mutano and liked it for these conditions.

Thanks,
    J
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    What rims do you have? I'm not sure how they actually measure but for aggressive trail tires on a cross bike I think it'd be hard to beat the panaracer fire cross. Claimed 700x45 though.

If you have to stay 42 or less take a look at the conti cross ride and wtb nano 40. Not all that aggressive, but most of the aggressive treads you're gonna find in cross tires are going to be in smaller sizes unfortunately.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Abby Normal
    Maybe check out the Schwalbe 'Smart Sam' tires - supposedly comes in 40 and 45c widths, not sure about availability. Looks like a reasonably knobby tread, might fit the bill.

Less aggro but wide maybe look at the Kenda Happy Medium (40c), the Surly Knard (41c) or WTB Nano (40c).

Stokeless Asshat
    Thanks guys.

Open Pro/Ultegra on a mid 90's Bonty CX. The chain stays have been "massaged" for better clearance.

All but the Nard were on the list. The "gravel" tires don't fit my needs so most in the fat categories don't appeal to me. (Loved the Nano in 29"though.) I can fit the Fire Cross up front but no go in the rear. I'm tempted to just mount up my Rock and Roads and see how they perform. So far the pair on my rough tour bike have performed well enough. I can imagine at a lower PSI they'd do good.

Want:

mtbr member

Re: Lets talk aggressive trail tires.

I have a pair of rock and roads they are pretty great off road. I would not consider the tread aggressive, but it's managed to get me out of everything I've gotten into so far. They handle quite predictably in loose stuff, which I personally think is more important than aggressive bite.

I also have Happy medium 35s, they are faster rolling but still handle quite well when it gets loose. Imagine they'd be better in the 40 size. But if you have the others they are definitely worth trying first.

mtbr member

These are another to keep an eye out for

http://somafab.blogspot.com/2014/05/...tires.html?m=1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm curious, wouldn't a regular 29er work better for "aggressive trails"? Especially if you don't care about riding on the roads with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    digging the WTB nano's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I bought a set of the Schwalbe Smart Sam's for my CX bike in the 700x35's. I wanted a tougher tire for off season training, CX & light trail use. They claim to be hard-wearing and had the reflective stripe which was a bonus (for me). I know road riding is not your priority but they do roll very well which probably means they're quicker on the trails. I'm finding they are pretty tough tires and feel pretty good considering the wire bead. Same tire/tread comes in MTB sizes so it's an off-road tire. Only trouble I've had is on some sandy ATV trails around here. The 35 width is borderline regarding float. With an obvious weight penalty, think these come in 40 & 45 widths also. Serious weight penalty will get you 3mm thick flat protection.

connisseur
    Been running the 40c Smart sams for awhile, gravel and some trails here in CO Springs. I run the wire bead version tubeless, only issue I've had is losing air during a few rides cause I hadn't added sealant in awhile, but no flats or sidewall issues.

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    I'm curious, wouldn't a regular 29er work better for "aggressive trails"? Especially if you don't care about riding on the roads with the bike.
    The OP is looking for tires with a reasonably aggressive tread that come in narrower widths (say up to 1.65") that will fit his cross bike. Most 'regular' 29er tires are going to be at least 1.9" wide. Most cross and touring bikes won't handle tires that big (although there are some exceptions).

mtbr member

Just completed a swap for a pair of old irc "mythos CX" 42s. They look a bit more aggressive than the wtb nano to me. Not sure when they'll go on, probably for winter mud and snow that I am not sure about rock n roads for.

Lets talk aggressive trail tires.-uploadfromtaptalk1409006552860.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Lets talk aggressive trail tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    The OP is looking for tires with a reasonably aggressive tread that come in narrower widths (say up to 1.65") that will fit his cross bike. Most 'regular' 29er tires are going to be at least 1.9" wide. Most cross and touring bikes won't handle tires that big (although there are some exceptions).
    I understand that, I'm just saying the if you need big, aggressive tires, a different bike is probably the ticket.

mtbr member
    I would stick to tires that at least have tubeless as an option. That probably leaves Continental, Clement, and Surly off the list. I started a thread about a week ago along the same lines and I think I am going to get some 40mm Kenda Happy Mediums or V Rubber 12's.

Tubeless tires 42-45mm

mtbr member
    Talking actual cyclocross the clement PDX wins in my book.
    I race for Crosshairs Cycling
    www.crosshairscycling.com

My stupid blog
    www.capitalbiker.tumblr.com

Stokeless Asshat
    That's just what I'm looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    These are another to keep an eye out for

Soma Feed: Soma Cazadero Mixed Terrain Tires
    The smart Sam's are on the heavy side.

Nano is not aggressive enough. Great tire in 29" though.

The R and R's were just so so on my ride today. Great all rounder though.

I know I should but I still haven't jumped down the tubeless rabbit hole yet. The Open pro's might be a tough conversion.

Clement makes great tires but on the skinny side. The Explorer series looks great for another adventure tire.

Got plenty of fat tire bikes. The CX is a just another feather in the quiver. Some times you just want what you want.

Thanks again,
    J

Want:

mtbr member
    Yeah I've been waiting to hear something about the cazadero since that post went up in May - hoping it is not a cruel joke at the expense of skinwall fetishists like myself. I made the trade for those mythos tires in the hope that they'll hold me over until they are available.

Its worth noting that the kenda happy mediums are only "tubeless ready" in the 32c size: Happy Medium Pro. 35's have been listed on the site for a while but I don't think they're out yet. Don't see any indication of the 40's becoming available tubeless. I find tubeless setups for cross tires more trouble than they are worth though and don't bother anymore - even with good tubeless tires I end up needing to run highish pressure to stave off burps. I would think this is even riskier with a rim that isn't designed for tubeless. If I start getting pinch flats again I may try latex tubes, because I'm not really willing to go back to 32-35c tires. Maybe I'll try it again once some bigger tires are available, or I get my hands on some tubeless ready slant six 1.8s.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Open pros are too narrow for a 32+ width tire. Ive done it and so have a lot of others. Thing is that when the tires rolled on its side the tire bead will begin to separate from the rim making the tire roll off the rim laterally. For you the rider this means the from end goes away in a hurry and youll be plagued with pitch flats if try to use lower pressures. I suggest using a wider rim, like something with a width of 22mm or more if you want to use 32+ sized tires.

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    I know I should but I still haven't jumped down the tubeless rabbit hole yet. The Open pro's might be a tough conversion.
    If you feel like forking out some additional coin for something 'tubeless ready', I picked up a set of these for my Yeti Arc-X - WTB ChrisCross Rims Shimano Ultegra 6800 Road CX Bike Wheelset [740098] - $259.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike. The price is nice.

I'm running them tubeless with some Hutchinson Piranha CX tires. Have not played with tire pressure enough to see just how low I can go without burping though. Those WTB rims are nice and wide though (25mm external), and reasonably light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'd steer clear of dedicated CX tyres - supple sidewalls designed for low pressure grip are susceptible to sidewall cuts. Plenty of success with 40mm Smart Sams - noticeable that the newer versions have looser beads and don't hold a tubeless seal as well as older ones. The Smart Sams do roll well on pavement/hardpack because of the centre-knobs. Also lots of good results from 41mm Surly Knards - riding MTB trails and trail centers, plus lots of rough trails made from crushed rock that would shred some tyres. Happily run non-tubeless tyres at 30psi - split tube works a treat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    You should check out the new Nano from WTB in 700x40. Also, the Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Roads would be something to look at as well.
    [SIZE=2]I like to start out slow and then back it off a notch.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Noticed the cazadero's are available now. Might have to order a pair even though I have 3 pairs of 38+ tires right now...

Soma Cazadero Mixed Terrain Tire

mtbr member
    Don't disregard the Happy Mediums. The 40c version treats me well on the Front Range. Dropping the pressure to 35-40 psi gives great results in the terrain here. If you haven't, take the skinny tire bike to Buffalo Creek or up to Curt Gowdy. Redefines the ride, not to mention the looks from other riders.