Thread: Kona Rove

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Kona Rove

Hey all, posted this in the Kona forum. Probably should have started here. Thinking about a 2013 Kona Rove, there are some great deals on it right now. I'm not a weight weenie, but 27-8 lbs. is pretty hefty.

Does anyone know how much of this is in the wheels? The specs just say 'Formula disc wheelset'. I know I had wheels with Formula hubs and Arch EX rims on my Spearfish and they were a couple hundred grams heavier than stock Arch EX wheels.

Just wondering how much weight I'd lose by putting some Crest wheels on there (I already have them), and if there are other components on the bike that would be quick ways to save a little weight.

KONAWORLD

Any other feedback on the Rove? I currently have a Crosscheck which I really like, but want more braking power.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I can't imagine that the Rove frameset weighs much more (if any more at all) than the Cross Check. On the other hand, nothing in the specs other than the wheels looks like a candidate for being particularly heavy.

A friend of mine has a Ti Rove and absolutely loves it. Obviously the Ti frame and carbon fork make it a different beast in terms of weight, but it has the same geometry and the ride quality is probably pretty similar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Cool, yeah that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the response.

I think with the discount, it'll be worth trying even if it's slightly heavier than the Crosscheck (prob the disc brakes will be the difference).

A Ti one would be sweet, but not in the cards right now.

Regards!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    Any other feedback on the Rove? I currently have a Crosscheck which I really like, but want more braking power.

Thanks!
    How about v-brakes for your Crosscheck? Lots cheaper than a new bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    How about v-brakes for your Crosscheck? Lots cheaper than a new bike.
    Yes, something to consider for sure. I've already tried the salmon Kool Stops on the cantis and they work fine for most of the riding I do. I'm just reluctant to take the Crosscheck off road as much because of the brakes, and I figured discs would be the best answer to that. Plus, the price of the Rove is so good, I think I can sell the Crosscheck and not get hurt too much.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Sellwood in Portland sells rove framesets..

sellwoodcycle.com
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys