Thread: Kona Jake Size

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Kona Jake Size

Sorry, I know this topic has been done before. I'm thinking of getting a cyclocross bike again. I used to have a 58cm crosscheck. Older second hand Kona Jake's seem cheap with canti's. I was wondering about sizing?

I've been looking at the geometry and it's either a 56 or 58cm. Now the 58cm gives me 57.8cm TT. The 56cm is a 56.3cm TT.

I'm thinking the 58 but does anyone 6'2" 34" leg ride a 56cm crossbike? Do you feel cramped? Would it mess the handling up if I put a long stem and layback seat post on it to give me a more stretched out position?

Just wondering if anyone has dialled in a smaller frame size to suit them?

Cheers Tim
    Fast enough to get there. Slow enough to enjoy the journey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Either would work, I'm slightly shorter with a touch smaller inseam and I would ride the bigger one myself though I am smack dab in between the 2 (57cm ideal for me). Adjust the stem length accordingly. The only possible issue could be saddle setback but if the saddle can get back far enough so that the knees are bent correctly you should be all set.

If given the choice between the 2, I think you're better off with the 58cm frame. I have a preference for longer frames because I like being stretched out a little for aggressive riding so I'm not all scrunched together when I get out of the saddle in the drops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah, I've been thinking about it and I'm going to give the 56 a miss. A 57 or 58 is going to be best. Cheers
    Fast enough to get there. Slow enough to enjoy the journey.

Holy Land Rider.
    May 2008
    i am 6'0 with a 30" inseam
    i ride a 56 and its spot on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrider75 View Post
    Sorry, I know this topic has been done before. I'm thinking of getting a cyclocross bike again. I used to have a 58cm crosscheck. Older second hand Kona Jake's seem cheap with canti's. I was wondering about sizing?

I've been looking at the geometry and it's either a 56 or 58cm. Now the 58cm gives me 57.8cm TT. The 56cm is a 56.3cm TT.

I'm thinking the 58 but does anyone 6'2" 34" leg ride a 56cm crossbike? Do you feel cramped? Would it mess the handling up if I put a long stem and layback seat post on it to give me a more stretched out position?

Just wondering if anyone has dialled in a smaller frame size to suit them?

Cheers Tim
    Are you looking at the newer model, with disks, or the older model. I think there were a year or two with cantis that had the same frame as the one they have now with disks. I have had both. First off, I do like a slightly larger bike. I'm 5'11", and have a 32-33" inseam. I'm a little taller in the torso than legs. On the older model frame (2010), I had a 58 cm, and it fit perfectly. Loved it. In the newer model (2013), I had the 59 cm, and it was a little too big--too long, and too tall.

So, if you are looking at the old model I think a size up compared to the new model. I also think the newer model would have been more comfortable for me with a little bit of a raised stem. I would be kind of surprised if the 56 fit you, but it's all personal fit. Also, if you are actually racing, the 56 might be alright, because I just commute on mine, so I don't mind having a little higher standover.

They're pretty good, but I didn't like the 2013; I wish I could have my 2010 back, even though it was brutally ugly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm 6'2" with 34" legs and I would buy a 56 cm if it were me. For "road style" bikes, I prefer a shorter top tube and longer stem to get more weight on the front wheel when turning. I'd run a 120 or 130 stem on that bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm 6'1" 32" inseam and I bought a 59. Undecided if it is slightly long or I'M just not used to a road type position. More rides are needed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    2003 Kona Kikapu