mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Jamis Nova Sport

Hello all

Was hoping someone might have some feedback on the Jamis Nova Sport. Was looking to get a cross bike around that price range and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it or thoughts on a comparable bike. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 nova race that I love. Great geometry, easy to shoulder with the contoured top tube, and plenty stiff. I've upgraded everything but the bars and stem, but the only thing that really needed the upgrade was the brakes. Only issue I had was one of the brake mounting pegs on the fork coming loose, but Jamis was easy to deal with in the warranty process (unfortunately the new one doesn't match my frame's beautiful paint job ).

Looks like with that build you may end up wanting to upgrade brakes to road bb7's and I imagine the aluminum fork is pretty harsh. Drivetrain is not great either but should be reliable. For that money I would look for a leftover 2012 nova race or simliar (something with a carbon or steel fork and at least tiagra components) or maybe something used. But for the price it is a good bike, and if you don't plan to do any serious racing should serve you really well.

Maybe check out performance's offerings as well. They have some nice GT and Fuji cross bikes around that price point. I see used race bikes on craigslist all the time too, that could be a way to get into a nicer bike.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.