Bicycle Radical

Jamis Nova Race - thoughts?

I've been shopping around for a road bike/commuter bike recently, having tried a few cyclocross machines and came across the Jamis Nova Race at my preferred LBS the other week.

2012 JAMIS BICYCLES - NOVA RACE

It has felt the best out of the Jake, the Jake the Snake, the Cross Check and the Volpe so far however the Volpe felt pretty damn good too.

Does anyone own the Jamis and have any thoughts? Any concerns?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think it looks good. It's only 9spd though but if you're fine with that then you're good. It looks like a good frame and a nice fork. Wheels are pretty standard. Some decent Ritchey stuff. Go for it. BB5's might be a little meh, but maybe you can save up another grand by fall and upgrade to a hydro setup and 10spd if any are available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    .. It's only 9spd though...
    What difference does one cog make when it is the legs that matter most? Someone please explain this to me.

The disc brakes are a bit over the top, but newbies are hot and bothered about them right now.

Since you are spending good money on a bike, double check the warranty.

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    What difference does one cog make when it is the legs that matter most? Someone please explain this to me.
    I agree. On most 10 speed cassettes there's a fair bit of redundancy. ie; my cassette's first 5 rings are 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. So the first half of my gears only increase by 1 tooth per shift. If the 14 or 15 tooth ring disappeared, would I really notice it? I doubt it.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I couldn't find the rear spacing on this frame. Anyone know? I sure hope they are going to 135, but those hubs spec'd seem suspect.

New MTB XC Racer

2 thumbs up :)

I have an older Jamis Nova with Carbon fork and I love it.
    I'm hooked on CX racing now too !
    I have 9 spd bar end shifters and prefer them over my lever road bike shifters most of the time. You can dump all 9 gears in one shot braking for a hairpin
    The advantage of the 9 spd means you could swap around between your MTB cassettes if they are 9 speed as well.
    I really like the disc brakes. One sandy wet CX race and I went from new pads to worn out pads. Hard on the rims too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jamis Nova Race - thoughts?-jamiscx.jpg  

Last edited by Rum Runner; 05-08-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Attach photo

MTB Trail Advocate
    I own a 2012 Nova Race, it is one bad mama jama! That is all. All other opinions are my own and will differ from rider to rider.
    PHX, AZ MTBDOC MTB Customs and Repairs

mtbr member
    I've got a 2010 Nova Race - love it.

I did upgrade the drivetrain and in the course switch to 10 cogs in the rear but to be honest it felt a bit better with 9 (this is probably a result of my ham-handed attempts to change parts more than anything else). I've put a few thousand miles on it and it's held up well. I mostly use it as a commuter but also for cross races and the occasional singletrack adventure (it's hard to ride my singlespeed to the trails).

The canti's are a little weak but I've grown to love them. Imagine disc brakes would stop much better but I worry about fork chatter - it gets fairly bad at times with rim brakes (but only at 20+ mph) and I imagine that discs would make this a bit worse.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Jamis 2012 Nova Race

Quote Originally Posted by scorchedearth View Post
    I've been shopping around for a road bike/commuter bike recently, having tried a few cyclocross machines and came across the Jamis Nova Race at my preferred LBS the other week.

2012 JAMIS BICYCLES - NOVA RACE

It has felt the best out of the Jake, the Jake the Snake, the Cross Check and the Volpe so far however the Volpe felt pretty damn good too.

Does anyone own the Jamis and have any thoughts? Any concerns?
    I have a 2012 Jamis Nova Race, 58cm Gray. I traded a Jamis Ventura Sport 54 cm, which was a little small for me. I've installed a computer, front and rear light, water bottle, and since it's Cape Cod at lock and holder for the cable lock set up.

The first three days I logged in just over 80 miles on this bike. Now mind you I am an overweight, out of shape, 47 year old. This bike was a pleasure to ride. What I like most about the cyclocross is that I can ride on grass, dirt, some sand, and light trails. Something I couldn't do with my Ventura Sport. The tire pressure is a little lower than I would like, 90 psi respectively, the Ventura was 145psi. I have tackled some rather steep and daunting hills on the Service Road in Sandwich, MA. The larger cassette makes for an easier hill climp. 7mph at times, but still moving. So far the top speed I've had her to was 47 mph. With an average around 22mph. I would absolutely recommend this bike to someone. Don't be thrown off by the $1,200 price tag. You really do get what you pay for. You can buy a cheap $150 bike at Wallmart, ride a couple hundred yards down the street and be tired. Or get a bike like this, and it practically rides itself.

MTB Trail Advocate

Jamis Nova Race - thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Superblackbird2000 View Post
    I have a 2012 Jamis Nova Race, 58cm Gray. I traded a Jamis Ventura Sport 54 cm, which was a little small for me. I've installed a computer, front and rear light, water bottle, and since it's Cape Cod at lock and holder for the cable lock set up.

The first three days I logged in just over 80 miles on this bike. Now mind you I am an overweight, out of shape, 47 year old. This bike was a pleasure to ride. What I like most about the cyclocross is that I can ride on grass, dirt, some sand, and light trails. Something I couldn't do with my Ventura Sport. The tire pressure is a little lower than I would like, 90 psi respectively, the Ventura was 145psi. I have tackled some rather steep and daunting hills on the Service Road in Sandwich, MA. The larger cassette makes for an easier hill climp. 7mph at times, but still moving. So far the top speed I've had her to was 47 mph. With an average around 22mph. I would absolutely recommend this bike to someone. Don't be thrown off by the $1,200 price tag. You really do get what you pay for. You can buy a cheap $150 bike at Wallmart, ride a couple hundred yards down the street and be tired. Or get a bike like this, and it practically rides itself.
    Yeah a lil over a year late from the OP, he did go with a Bianchi Volpe, which he rides a lot. Moreover, my Nova Race is my go to bike for all things not mtb related. I love it.......I have nothing but fantastic thoughts about it. Unlike my mountain bikes, which get update every few years or so....I'll be keeping this one for many years.
    PHX, AZ MTBDOC MTB Customs and Repairs

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey guys,

I'm currently looking at the 2013 Nova Race. Website says it weights 23.75lbs? Is this considered heavy for cross (I'm a mountain biker, first time to dabble in cross)? For the price though, is this a good purchase and what would I upgrade to lighten it up? group? wheelset?

Jamis Nova Race 2013 Cyclocross Bike | Evans Cycles

Specs here:

Frame: 7005 aluminium double-butted main frame, hydroformed top tube for comfortable portage, 1 1/8-1.5" tapered headtube, PressFit 30 BB shell, 34.9mm seat tube, disc brake mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger, single eyelet

Fork: Jamis Cross, full carbon composite, 1.5" hollow formed crown, monocoque one-piece forming technology, integrated CNCd cable cradles with post disc brake mounts, fender eyelets, carbon dropouts with stainless axle interfaces

Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra FD-4600
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra RD-4600 GS
    Number of Gears:20
    Shifters: Shimano Tiagra ST-4600 Dual Control STI, 20-Speed
    Chainset: FSA Omega compact double for PF30, 50/34T, 170mm (48/51) 172.5mm (54/56) 175mm (58/61)
    Chainrings: 50/34
    Bottom Bracket: FSA PressFit 30
    Cassette: Shimano 10-Speed 12-30T
    Chain: SRAM PC1031 w/Powerlock
    Front Brake: BB7 Mechanical cable actuated disc brake with 160mm G2 CleanSweep rotor
    Rear Brake: BB7 Mechanical cable actuated disc brake with 160mm G2 CleanSweep rotor
    Brake Levers: Tiagra ST-4600
    Handlebars: Ritchey Logic, 6061 aluminium, 31.8 400mm (48/51), 420mm (54/56), 440mm (58/61)
    Stem: Ritchey Road, 3D forged 6061 alloy, 6 degrees x 90mm (48/51), 100mm (54/56), 120mm (58/61)
    Headset: FSA, integrated, sealed bearing, 1 1/8-1 1/2"
    Grips: Jamis suede tape with Jamis logo and J end plug
    Rims: Alex XC23 eyeleted disc specific rim, 32H
    Front Hub: Formula alloy disc road
    Rear Hub: Formula alloy disc road
    Spokes: 14g stainless steel
    Front Tyre: Vittoria, Cross XN, 700 32c
    Rear Tyre: Vittoria, Cross XN, 700 32c
    Saddle: Selle San Marco SPID with Syntex cover and carbon steel rails
    Seatpost: Ritchey Road, 31.6 300mm
    Seat Binder: Alloy clamp
    Weight: 23.75 lbs