mtbr member
    Oct 2009

It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!

So...

I like changing up my set-up on my CX bike. Mostly, because I haven't found something I really like.

I've decided to go back to a flat bar (sorry to all you purists) . But after being on drops for a year... decided that I just like the flat bar better.

Then, I was thinking about going with some mini-v's to get a little more power than my current Tektro C720's. I'm even thinking about going 1X9 or 1X10.

So, have I reached that stupid tipping point of where the CX fashion is pretty much GONE? At this point I feel like I'm building a skinny tire MTB.

*Disclaimer - I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not a purist in any sense of the word - I like riding what makes me feel comfortable - I raced on a flat bar a couple years ago and loved it - more than the drops.

I just thought it was funny that it's looking more and more like a MTB when I envision the "upgrades".

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've ended up doing the same thing. I started to build a flat bar cross bike and ended up with a tall, skinny 29er lol.

I started with 560mm straight bars but it now has 680mm riser bars, 1x8, V brakes on the front and I'm going to fit them on the back too as the modulation of the levers I have is all wrong for cantilevers.

I can't post pics yet as I don't have 10 posts but it looks exactly like an old school MTB, I'm not even sure in what section to post pics now.

I'm not fussed what it looks like as long as it can do what I built it to do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I did see a noticeable difference in speed riding on flats and downhill with the narrow drops. I, too, rocked a wide riser before and I loved it - I'm going back to that set-up.

Do you have mini-v's? Which set did you go with? I'm looking at the Tektro 926AL BMX mini-v's - I've read great things about them.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I did see a noticeable difference in speed riding on flats and downhill with the narrow drops. I, too, rocked a wide riser before and I loved it - I'm going back to that set-up.

Do you have mini-v's? Which set did you go with? I'm looking at the Tektro 926AL BMX mini-v's - I've read great things about them.
    The 926's work. Theyre cheap, I had rusty hardware after 9 months or so and the springs/pivots are kinda crappy as they were not great about returning to center.

However with v brake levers that shiuldnt be too much of an issue. but... Most off all they work awesome for the price point, just get decent pads.

Sent by smoke signal.

mtbr member
    If you have the bucks you might want to check out SRAM's XX1. Get the biggest chainring (40?) and you should be good.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Heck, I might have an unmolested set of 926's at home somewhere.

Sent by smoke signal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I went with Deore's, they work well with plenty of power and good feel but the pads are worn after less than 100 miles so I'm looking for a harder pad.

I have Tektro Oryx cantilevers at the back which are O.K but they'll soon be replaced with another pair of Deore's.

Bro Mountainbiker
    No pictures? The shame!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

jrm
    mtbr member

Started with the flat bar

and ended up with a 46cm cowbell. Im in luv. Dont mess with mini v's go full v brake.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    No pictures? The shame!
    I need ten posts

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    oops! Double post

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357240557.256249.jpg

It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357240574.021537.jpg

It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357240584.087889.jpg

It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357240593.688035.jpg

It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357240601.854770.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdog View Post

You don't have any issues dropping the chain without a guide or stop/bash combo?

Looks nice and to hell with the purists.
    Signature

Fat-tired Roadie
    Dion - pretty. Looks like an old-school MTB. I used to ride around Wilder with a 1.5" rear tire, so definitely getting to that crossover point.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    You don't have any issues dropping the chain without a guide or stop/bash combo?

Looks nice and to hell with the purists.
    No it never comes off even though I do some quite rough terrain on it, I basically treat it like a mountain bike. I think the short cage derailleur and tight chain might help.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Dion - pretty. Looks like an old-school MTB. I used to ride around Wilder with a 1.5" rear tire, so definitely getting to that crossover point.
    Thanks! I love it set up like this. The mini-v's made a WORLD of difference. However...

...roadie downhills and flat outs were affected by not having the drops - like 5mph slower as tucked as possible, fingers off the brakes. Dirt descending was greatly improved, though, but with better brakes and wide bars (30" DH bars) that better be the case!

I love the gearing (38t X 11-36). Grinded up a fire road today without pushing hard and actually got a couple PR's!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357240574.021537.jpg 
Views:	1082 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	750271
    I freakin love this! I think alot bikes sacrifice functionality for looks but this is both cool looking and functional.

I have the same issue as you regarding top speed, I seem to hit a brick wall at about 40 mph where as my record was 53 mph on my old road bike...Can't say I miss going that fast anyway, 40 mph on a trail is plenty fast enough for me.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Dion - Your set up is very tempting for off road use and commuting! The more I ride my mtb's, the harder it is to jump back on the cross bike and feel any real benefits to the drops. I don't think I'd go with a full on DH width bar, but maybe a slightly narrower flat bar for my use. Maybe with bar ends...Funny because I used to love drop bars, but for the type of riding I really enjoy, they may not be necessary.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    Dion - Your set up is very tempting for off road use and commuting! The more I ride my mtb's, the harder it is to jump back on the cross bike and feel any real benefits to the drops. I don't think I'd go with a full on DH width bar, but maybe a slightly narrower flat bar for my use. Maybe with bar ends...Funny because I used to love drop bars, but for the type of riding I really enjoy, they may not be necessary.
    For me, I used to race with a flat bar and felt SUPER comfortable with it. I could just fling it around - and with drops... not so much

Then, for some dumb reason I thought, "Well, I should go back to pure traditional 'cross". What I ended up with was a bike that hung in my garage most of the time. What really made me go back, was the amount of seat time I was putting into my 1986 Rockhopper Comp:

DionRidesBikes.com: Bringing 1986 into 2013 - REVIEW of My "Modernized" 1986 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

I completely modernized it with a wide handlebar, 1X9 set-up and modern wheels and tires. I also upgraded the brakes to XTR V's with the love from my homie, Froride1 here on MTBR. I LOVE that bike!

So... I thought it'd be awesome to put the ol' CX bike back to where I felt best with it: non-traditional, huge bars, 1X set-up. I had a double on there before, and I hated shifting through a front DR, so I found that the 38T X 11-36 was a big enough gear ratio for long CX rides, road rides, and even racing for my level.

I'm having a blast on the new set-up. MUCH better than the drops I had. I feel way more confident on dirt descending and flicking it around rocks and roots. I can hold my line in sand and mud - and I don't feel like I'm straining my neck. The only drawback is the lack of aero with the drops - but I feel the benefits (for me) outweigh those drawbacks. My justification is - if I feel super great with wide handlebars on my MTB... why not just replicate it on my CX bike?

Really, the only reason why to have drops for racing would be rules or maybe personal preference. But for the local organization here, they don't have a bar width rule, so it's all good.

I get made fun of for my wide bars, but hey - they work!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dion for president! Before I started all my searching I was already thinking about Dion and his C-mute from a long time ago. I ended up on this thread after countless forum and web searches. I'm glad to see some newer posts on this.

My friend bought a road bike, so I had to get something too of course so we could ride up Diablo on the road instead of the dirt. I ended up getting a Focus CX bike because I new I wanted to run fatter tires for comfort. I just replaced my worn out rear tire with a 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (which looks small). I think my gearing is 34 and 46 tooth front rings with an 11x32 cassette. The not-quite 1x1 ratio actually gets hard on a ride like Diablo for me, but my friend only has about 1.5 gears easier than me with a triple, so I should just try and get in better shape. I do not like the Salsa Cowbell bars anymore (put them on right after getting the bike). I just can't get comfortable going downhill. I don't like braking from the drops (my friend has no problem doing this), and from the drops I don't like reaching for the levers.

I have recently started having a problem with pain in my left wrist, and I'm not sure its going to get better of not. I think a flat bar would help my wrist. While I don't really want a road bike to be like my mountain bikes, I don't ride CX either. I just want comfy tires and a frame with wider clearances. So now I'm wondering if I should get a Singular Kite and put a flat bar on it with some mini-vees. (My Focus has cantilevers than hit my calves sometimes and it is not cool).

mtbr member
    Go see a doctor about your wrist or get fitted if the pain is cycling related.

Also, mini v's with Kool-Stop salmon pads are awesome. They will blow away any cantilever setup.

mtbr member
    The funny thing is I am going the other way. I love drop bars and they have been migrating to my mountain bikes for the last few years..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!-2013-03-28_16-01-42_686.jpg  

Last edited by Weinerts; 04-16-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: image
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

Stokeless Asshat

Yes it is.....

Mid 90's. 39x18. It's a riot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!-imgp0044.jpg  

It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!-imgp0043.jpg  

It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!-imgp0036.jpg  

It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!-imgp0040.jpg  

It's turning into a skinny tire MTB!-imgp0045.jpg  

Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm