mtbr member

I'm back in the saddle again....I hope

Hey folks,

I'm thinking of having a CX bike built, I haven't rode in years but I have the itch to get riding again. My local shop has quoted me a build price of $900.00 otd using a Origin 8 CX700 frameset, is this a good deal? I want this bike to be sort of a Swiss army knife of bikes so I can ride street, trails etc. Is this what I should be considering. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

hoki

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can you post up the rest of the spec. what type of trails are you going to ride very technical, twist, losts of extended climbs, tight techy downhill?

sounds like a good deabut if your goal is too have one bike that hang on group rides road or trail probably gonna be tough. If rolling solo might be ok. If goal is too jsut get out an d ride again and re fall for the sport this sounds like a great idea.

Another option might be a rigid 29er? need more info to provde sound advice.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Can you post up the rest of the spec. what type of trails are you going to ride very technical, twist, losts of extended climbs, tight techy downhill?

sounds like a good deabut if your goal is too have one bike that hang on group rides road or trail probably gonna be tough. If rolling solo might be ok. If goal is too jsut get out an d ride again and re fall for the sport this sounds like a great idea.

Another option might be a rigid 29er? need more info to provde sound advice.
    Thanks for the reply. I am just getting back into riding after many years so I have no group which to ride with, but that might be something I need to consider. This bike is mainly going to be for fitness, and good mix of street, gravel/dirt roads with some trail riding thrown in from time to time, nothing technical. My wife and I are just looking for a fun/active hobby. The reason I am considering a CX bike is I always prefered the bent bars/geometry of a road bike over the straight bars/geometry of MTB's. I just want a good bike that grow with me as my skill set improves.

Thanks again,
    hoki

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sounds like a decent price, assuming the components are reasonable. I built up a CX700 last summer and really like it:
    - Monstercross Bicycle Build

Sounds a lot like the type of riding I do, I will typically ride 15-20 miles of pavement to a trail then ride 5-15 miles of dirt or gravel on that trail then ride back on pavement. With some decent tires, the cross bike is reasonably fast and easy to pedal on pavement and yet will hook up in the dirt. It is the most ridden of all my bikes as I can pretty much ride everything that I want to on that one bike. In my area, there are a lot of dirt fire roads and trails up in the hills that connect between paved roads, so the cross bike allows riding up one paved road, across a dirt path to connect up to another paved road to make a loop ride instead of a plain out and back ride like I have to do on a road bike. And although I do have an MTB, I don't like loading it up in my vehicle and driving to the trail head for a ride (and that ends up being and out and back dirt ride) then hauling it back home. I much prefer to ride to and from the trail.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 12-09-2012 at 12:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Cx rentry bike

I recently re-entered the cycling hobby after a brief hiatus. My wife chose a Cannondale hybrid with 700x35 tires. I chose a Salsa Fargo 29er drop bar Adventure bike. I enjoy it immensely. Enough so, that I have converted it to a classic rigid mountain bike and ordered a mid level Cannondale CAADX CX bike. I will ride the same routes that I do with my Fargo, but with drop bars and 700x35s. I live in a very rural area with 4-5 miles of dirt/gravel before I hit the pavement. The CX will see more pavement and will be my primary solo pavement ride. The Fargo will be mostly dirt but is very competent with short sections of pavement. I hope the CX bike is as fun as everyone says! I am learning to ride with a prosthetic left leg and I do not anticipate riding as intensely as most. My long rides will be around 40-50 miles and I want to do one or two centuries next year.
    I say, "go for it". My wife and I enjoyed our rebirth in cycling enough that we also picked up a nice used tandem late this year. We hope to use it a lot in 2013 as well.
    '13 CDale CAADX
    '12 Spec Camber Comp
    '12 Salsa Fargo
    "Riding with one leg is way better than not riding"