Wheeler Dealer

Ibis Hakkalugi Disc

Anyone have one yet. Was looking to order the frame and just looking for some feedback. I have worked on a number of Ibis MTB and seen a few broken so hoping the cross bike is tougher. Of course it is seeing lighter terrain than an SL-R.
    Muskoka Outfitters/Fat-Bikes.ca
    Pivot, Niner, 9ZERO7, Surly, Borealis
    www.muskokaoutfitters.com
    www.fat-bikes.ca

mtbr member
    There are only two bikes I've considered buying for the last three years, the Cannondale Super X and the Lugi. I'm still thinking about upgrading my current bike or buying a new one. Maybe I should wait for hydraulics... anyway, the old Lugi got rave reviews. I'm sure the disc version is even better. One thing to consider is the Super X has a lifetime warranty, the Lugi has only three or five years.

Here's a old thread from the sister site.

New hakkalugi disc - Road Bike, Cycling Forums
    Last edited by limba; 12-02-2012 at 01:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Bump.
    Any owners with feedback on the new 'lugi here? Is the 2013 frame stiffer than previous years?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Hakka Disc

I just got one a few weeks ago. Having a lot of fun riding the local trails. No racing for me this year so can't say how it does in that regard. The only thing I can compare it too cross wise is an old ('95) Rock Lobster that I had. World of difference all the way around. Tubeless tires are great, disc brakes are nice, light weight is nice. The gearing is a little on the small side (36/28) for the adventures that I plan but it's nothing that can't be changed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Timbo,

Did you buy just frame, rival build or Ultegra? Which size and what is the weight? I am just curious if the mid 17 lb figure is accurate for a 58 ultegra with the white paint version.

Looks real good on paper, but I would really need to order sight unseen.

As I understand it, the Ultegra build kit is actually a little less weight than the Rival.

I am also curious if you plan to use the wheelset (Stans Iron Cross) with any road tires. I have been warned against this as the max psi is 45 and road tires should not be run tubeless. In my ideal world, this bike would make a great gravel road racing machine.. and then cross come winter. Seems like 2 wheelsets are likely needed though.

Thanks
    Last edited by alembical; 01-24-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Human Test Subject
    Lots of companies are coming out with road tubeless tires now, so that shouldn't hold you back. I don't know anything about that max psi though. Seems like it would really limit that wheelset's functionality.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I bought the full bike with Ultegra build black in a 53, I don't know the weight. I got it site unseen as it was a gift. However, Ibis is only 20 miles away so I probably could have swapped it out if it didn't fit. I have a couple road bikes (one that can run 28mm+ tires) so I don't see myself running road tire. However , I can see myself with 80+ psi in the tires if I'm riding on extended road sections during a ride... I hope I don't need to worry about the 45 psi. I put a Thompson layed back post on it and it feels great on the road. I also ride a Mojo-SL. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The number of tubeless compatible affordable lightweight durable disc wheels is unfortunately small though. A couple of those adjectives are easy, but all of them together becomes problematic... at no real surprise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alembical View Post
    The number of tubeless compatible affordable lightweight durable disc wheels is unfortunately small though. A couple of those adjectives are easy, but all of them together becomes problematic... at no real surprise.
    I've got Stan's ZTR Crest wheels and use regular (non-tubeless) tires, Serfas Vidas, pumped up to 80-90 or so. Any number of regular tires can be converted to tubeless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anyone running a larger volume tire on the Lugi disc? Ibis says 38 (1.5") max for the rear, but tire measurements are pretty non standard.

mtbr member
    I'm running a conti cyclocross speed 35 tubeless, for gravel racing and it looks like there is pretty good mud clearance in back . The chainstays are the narrowest part of the bike and a 38 should fit fine. I don't think anything larger will fit in back without being too tight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have a Ibis hakkalugi carbon frame for sale w/ carbon Fork. $ 1075 w/ headset and fork complete. 55 cm. Phelmish yellow, canti.

kenandwoo@hotmail.com