Falls-a-Lot

I won a CX race, today!!!

Ok, so only the women's C race and there were only 5 of us, but only 3 of us completed all 4 laps and I was 23+ seconds ahead of 2nd place. AND I was the oldest woman in the C race, as I will be 40 in Feb. and the rest of the field were all in their late 20s or early 30s. Wine will flow tonight! Man, I friggin' love this sport! And to think it was <2 years ago that I said I'd NEVER do cyclocross. I said that about mountain biking, too. Gah, I am getting fat from eating my words!

The woman who won last week got moved up to Bs...she races in a skinsuit, FFS. Last week I was 4th, the week before that I was 5th (would have been 4th, but somehow my rear wheel worked its way out of the dropouts and I had to pull off to fix it. It actually took me a bit to figure out what was wonky with my bike--I initially thought something was whacko in my derailleur, since it was randomly shifting and the pedal kept going mushy for half a lap).

I'd love to someday race B Master's. If I dropped that nagging 20#s (not drinking wine and beer and eating crap would go a LONG way towards that) and upgraded a few things on my bike (the wheels are really low-rent Kore Gradients that came on my Redline Conquest and won't stay true and the brakes are almost worthless--I have to start braking really early to keep control and steer at the bottom of hills if there is any turn) I think I could make it happen. The little bit of mountain biking I've done this year has been really good for my CX skills.

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

DIY all the way
    Congratulations!

Magura

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice job - I take it this was Caledonia? Wanted to come up an race but my family obligations kept me away. Are you forced up to B?

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Doesn't matter what class or how many people... you won, and by a lot. Hope you had fun doing it and didn't lose too much skin or gain too many bruises in the process . I remember beating the next guy by 10s on a local circuit... racing for 35th place. Unfortunately, I race SSCX, and Craig Ethridge turns up to more than a few of the races I'm in... only way I'm gonna win is by cheating haha...

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    Nice job - I take it this was Caledonia? Wanted to come up an race but my family obligations kept me away. Are you forced up to B?
    Yup!

God, I hope they don't force me up. I won, but I was still WAY behind most of the field--I'm guessing with the new chip timing system that they won't move a person up unless their overall field position warrants. Mostly I think I finally got 2 good nights of sleep in a row. Last week I felt like a$$ and Highland Park always makes me have 2nd thoughts about CX, heh.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    Doesn't matter what class or how many people... you won, and by a lot. Hope you had fun doing it and didn't lose too much skin or gain too many bruises in the process . I remember beating the next guy by 10s on a local circuit... racing for 35th place. Unfortunately, I race SSCX, and Craig Ethridge turns up to more than a few of the races I'm in... only way I'm gonna win is by cheating haha...
    I had a blast! I haven't fallen yet, this season. *knocks on wood* Last year was my first doing CX and I think I got all my falling out of the way...or maybe I just reserve it all for mountain biking, heh. Last year I remember my goal was to just not be DFL.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3