mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Hybrid 700c x 38 Off Road tires that fit frame

I bought my son a Gary Fisher hybrid bike and we want to put some off road tires on it so he can go with me on trails from time to time.

Currently, he is running 700cx38 road tires and my LBS is being stupid and telling me I should have bought him a Mountain Bike if I wanted to put off road tires on it. Ive been researching the internet and I found out about Cyclocross.

Can anyone tell me a cheap tire with good off road grip that will fit?

Thank you for not telling me to get a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey, what kind of trails are you talking here? If it's somewhat smooth, current tires will probably work. I have taken my road bike with even 23's on smoother singletrack/fireroad and was just fine. I also ride on 700x32 touring tires offroad, which also do well.

As far as CX tires, depends on how much clearance you currently have. But I would hesitate to get knobby CX tires, as it will not be that great on paved roads, unless you were thinking about swapping tires everytime you guys went on trails. But something like these Kenda tires in 700x35 should work just fine.

Universal Cycles -- Kenda KrossCyclo Tire

Universal Cycles -- Kenda Kross Supreme Tire

But I ride on smooth treads like Pasela's (in 700x35-37)
    Bikeman Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 700 x 35c Black/Tan Steel

Look at this site for people that take road bikes off road with skinny road tires.

Chris Kostman's Rough Riders Blog: Any Bike, Anywhere / Classic Cyclist

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Tioga Bloodhound 700x38.

Great offroad tire. Not so much for cyclocross though, especially if conditions are really muddy.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm currently riding 700 x 35c Scwhalbe Smart Sam's and loving them, good on every surface.

Schwalbe Smart Sam Sport Cross Bike Tyre - Wire | Chain Reaction Cycles

I'm with you, a well set up hybrid is plenty capable enough for the majority of trails as long as you don't mind getting bounced around a bit and they have the benefit of being nicer to ride on the road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys, you really are helping me. My kid rides it to school most of the time, so as a commuter, its perfect. I ride a Giant Reign 2, so he cant stay with me on the more difficult stuff. Most of what we ride is single track that is pretty mellow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Then I think the better solution is to get yourself a rigid, singlespeed bike, or even a CX bike for yourself! Reign on mellow trails would be so boring.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm running 700x40 Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires (they also make a 35) and they work well on and off pavement:
    - DSCF1446

Have a bit over 2000 mixed miles on them and hardly any tread wear and no problems with grip in the dirt.

mtbr member
    My All City Nature Boy came with Kenda Smallblock Eights on it and they seem like a decent all around tire. The center blocks are closer together, almost like a straight unbroken line for good rolling on pavement & dry stuff and they blocks go further apart from there to hook up in corners and with mucky stuff. They are listed as 700 x 35s on the sidewall though. Not sure if you'll want that smaller number to give you a bit more clearance for mud & trail grime vs the closer clearance with a slick road tread. But that might be a good idea.

You will notice less cush on CX tires vs true mountain tires(volume is the main difference) but he can be fine without it.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Naked, what do you mean by "cush"?

mtbr member
    Cushion, like shock absorbing or float. Higher volume tires have more room for air in them and help absorb some of the trail bumps and ruts than lower volume tires do. And you tend to run the wider & higher volume tires at lower pressures, so they ride a bit more supple. I just mean that with 700c x 38s(what your bike can have) will ride a bit rougher than my Karate Monkey that had 700c(29er) x 2.3" tires. My tires had more volume than his will.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy